Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Upgrading from locus free to pro version is it necessary to reload maps? Reload brouter? Maybe add some more map tiles
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found developer setting but turn what off. I see nothing that looks like it would influence the screen brightness
    Emgo and Sonny S. like this.
  3. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://bcnavxe.com/#/pricing-plans

moving along well...I really like the built in BLM does locus have a blm layer or wms anywhere?

They also have a website with drawing routing on the site. I wish locus had this so I don't have to run a wonky emulator.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a gold membership for bcnavxe. I don't really like it for what I use my GPS for.

1. The offline maps are massive. They eat gobs of space. With openandromaps on locus, I'm using about 18gb with practically every state downloaded. On Bcnavxe, you have to download tiles. After downloading enough tiles to cover my state and a couple of states I frequent, I was using up 14gb.

2. It doesn't run as a service. Three times now (out of about 8 trips), it has crashed, and not recovered itself, and I just lose the track I was recording.

3. It doesn't track very accurately. Several times it has acted pretty crazy and had me zig zagging off the course, about 50 yards from the road on the track recording.

4. When you open it, it doesn't automatically zoom in on your location. You have to hit the button to get it to go to your location. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

5. There are no broadcast intents. This is the second greatest thing Locus has going for it for me. I can automate Locus with Tasker or Automate and everything works wonderfully. I think the single greatest thing about Locus is the customizable dashboard overlay.

The syncing feature is awesome. I have automations in place to back up my Locus tracks to my Google drive but to have it natively is cool.

As far as routing and mapping, why not use Furkot or mappite?
  5. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your post reminded me on my last trip which was only about 400 miles locus crashed maybe four times in one day and after restarting it picked up and did not lose recording the track at all which is good.

I also got a lot of errors trying to do offline routing where there was no service. Something seems to have changed in these new builds that affects brouter and graphhopper in negative ways.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    brouter has nothing to do with the version of locus you have.

i use it a lot with brouter. i haven't seen stability issues in about 6 updates, or more.
  7. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Still unable to open BRouter. I install it from Google Play, and on opening I get the three options:
    [​IMG]

From here I cannot move forward, as first 2 options give me an error sign and the 3rd I do not know what to insert.
  8. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you tried going into the settings of your phone and looking in the Apps setting for BRouter. From there, try clearing the data and the cache. Restart the phone and open it again.
  9. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Thnx for replying.
    I tried that and find the same screen with the 3 options as before.
    Which option should I choose?

P.S. I must be missing something.
    Trying to get a screenshot, I get the sign "unable to save screenshot, confirm internal memory is not full"
    I see that I have used 13 out of 32GB, system storage 11GB, Apps 41GB, Cached data 1.64MB
    The only apps I have are BRouter and locus.
  10. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    New to Locus and new to the Android Tab I will be attempting to run it on. Two main questions so far:
    I have followed previous posts here on moving the maps to the SD card. Seems to have worked. What about track storage on the SD card?
    What is your usual process for getting tracks imported into Locus. I first tried the Drive option but the pop up warning states you are allowing Locus World to access and edit Google Drive files - I keep a lot of info in Drive and this seems like a bad idea.
    My next try was to gmail tracks as an attachment. Trying to figure out how to download and then find the attachment was a minor nightmare. I just kept finding files that appeared to be grayed-out and inaccessible. I finally used a file management app to move it from Downloads to a folder I created on the SD card and Locus opened it even though it was still grayed-out. Seems kinda cumbersome. My main issue might be trying to forget how IOS and IE handle files and downloads. Any suggestions?
  11. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    You don't have to connect Locus to Drive to be able to import tracks.

Just open the drive app on your device, browse to the track and tap on it. It will ask you if you want to open it in Locus.

You can save it directly to the device if you like, and it will go to the downloads directory. You don't need to move the tracks out of that directory at all. You can open them directly from there in Locus.

Here's my workflow:
    Put tracks I want in Drive.

Open Drive on my device.

Tap the 3 dot menu next to the track, and hit Download.

Then it's in the downloads directory. I can open it from the downloads app or another file explorer, but I know I always have a copy on the device.

If I just tap on the track and open with Locus, it will import that track into the database and I organize it directly in Locus. You don't have to actually touch the filesystem.
    RoundOz and AugustFalcon like this.
  12. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. I forgot that Drive gives you that option to download. I just use it mainly for reference. Thanks.
    I should say that part of the reason for moving files around is to actually find them easier and part is to take them out of the device memory which is limited. I’d imagine that should be easy during the download from Drive (?)
  13. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Finally found the problem. The device thought there is another SD card which is not the case and was trying to download the app Brouter in there. Once I disable it, the app downloaded nicely.
    Cheers
    ohgood and Sonny S. like this.
  14. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of setting up my new Kyocera and noticed that the V3 openandromap and older adventure theme seems easier to read than the V4 and the new adv theme. The contour lines are too dark in the new version and hard to see the road. Anyone else?
  15. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    On the site openandromaps, sometimes I get the V3 locus maps and sometimes simply locus maps. Anyone know why this happens?
  16. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    They recently removed the v3 maps from the normal download sections for most areas. They've been moved to a different location on the site.
  17. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    O.K. finally getting on with all the glitches.
    So I downloaded the maps and Locus cannot see them.
    This is the opportunity to move the maps to the SDcard:

https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:use_sdcard_on_kitkat

• Insert your SDcard in a card reader on a pc and create a file, something like MyLocusExternalMaps
    • This will be a folder for your vector maps on the external SD card,
    • move contents (if there are any) of /Locus/mapsVector/ folder to the new folder “MyLocusExternalMaps”
    • The SD card needs to move into the cellphone
    • define a new path to your vector maps in Locus > Menu > Locus settings > Miscellaneous > Default directories > Set 'mapsVector' / directory and click on it
      [​IMG]
    • a Menu bar appears on the top left. Click on it and a window appears, choose the SD card, directory "MyLocusExternalMaps"
    • Now Locus needs to restart.
    • From now on, Locus will search for the maps in the SDcard.
    • In order to read them, they need to get unzip each one file in the same directory, so they need to get extracted. Normally this is done automatically, but sometimes isn't.
    • From now on, any additional maps will be downloaded in the "MyLocusExternalMaps" folder in the SDcard. They also get unzipped in there.
    • Cheers
  18. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Is there a directory where tracks reside? Can this be moved to the SD card too?
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the database of tracks and waypoints is in here:
    Screenshot_20190921-211140.png

but you can put it wherever you like

if you get the pro version you can do automatic backups to google drive or wherever... then restore that to the next phone/tablet.
  20. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thank you.