Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    How?
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    you mean this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. levain

Oddometer:
    Damn locus pro is cool. I figured this out. This site had the poi. Download to Dropbox. Open under import data tab, and voila. They're just there. It's like magic! Too bad the underground icon isn't in the menu. Ill see if I can figure that out. Here's all the London tube stops:clap

[​IMG]
  4. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:

Yes. Thanks.

Any insight as to how I can have more than one vector map showing on screen (think multiple state riding) I have a route that runs from North West Arkansas to La Crosse, WI and want to scroll between states to view POI's ect.

Also, I imported what I thought was one .gpx track. However it imported all of the tracks from my dropbox folder. This creates a really confusing spider web of routes. So, how do I delete what I now have and import just one track. I have made a few attempts but no luck. I know it's owner incompetence but I could use a pointer or two.

Thanks in advance
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    1 maps will auto load:
    [​IMG]

2 tick the boxes of however many tracks, and routes, you want at the same time:
    [​IMG]

just showing off now( black and white cycle map to help shore the coloured records, routes, waypoints, etc)

>130 tracks AND routes
    >300 waypoints, Geo caches, trail heads, etc
    and
    1 guided from route
    plus
    1 turn by turn navigation from track

all displayed at the same time:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the power of locus pro, baby
  6. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Any idea why I get this shaded box in the left bottom section of the map? It sort of looks like topo relief but I haven't DL'd any topo maps that I know of.

[​IMG]
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    yeppers

when you create a waypoint, there is a 'GET ELEVATION' option in the dialogue of stuff to add to that waypoint. locus will keep that area's elevation data and use it for hillshading. you can turn it off in settings if you like.

:clap
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    From position not mapped??? Huh? It was working earlier. Not anymore. I get that error anytime I try to navigate to a random point on the map, from the search or any other time I try to navigate to...

[​IMG]
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    drop the FROM point on a road...

if you have, then you're missing the segment data for that location, or the FROM point and the next one.
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    I don't really understand what your saying, but I will say this- If I have it set to use brouter under settings->navigation->compute source, I get that error. Set to mapquest and I don't.

Now, I have no idea what brouter even does. I downloaded the app, based on recommendations here, and its just there. When I open brouter, nothing happens, so I'm assuming it just runs in the background, doing whatever the hell it does. It was working yesterday. I set a route and mapquest sent me about 20 miles out of the way. Switched to brouter, and it routed me correctly. No idea why I'm getting that error now:ear

I need brouter to work so I can use Locus offline!
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    When you open Brouter select download manager, or maybe it goes straight to the map if you don't have any DL's yet. You should see a world map. Zoom into the areas that you will need for routing data. When you zoom in you'll see grids. Select the grids, don't get too greedy they take a long time to DL. After selecting the grids you want, there is a tiny, and I mean TINY red download button at the bottom rt hand of the screen. After your DL is done, reopen Brouter and select Brouter App. Select car-test, then server-mode. Next screen hit OK and then exit. Start up Locus and you should be good to go.
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    Ahh. Thanks for that. So, in theory, I should be set for offline routing after? I'm still getting that funny error message...
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:
    again, the FROM and TO points have to be on a road.
  14. levain

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the help. Clearly I'm doing something funny. It only doesn't work with brouter. Mapquest is fine.

I'm walking down a street. Searching for an address that it finds. Navigate to and I get the error. Do the same thing in Mapquest , ie: online, and it works fine.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:

"FROM" or "TO position not mapped" error should be understandable after watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhJx2g7dnns

from start to finish:

1 brouter must be installed
    2 brouter must have been setup with
    3 segments (the download squares you see in the startup/setup/first run)
    4 profiles selected (first run, "hike/walk/bike/car/etc")
    5 brouter must be selected in Locus/osmand/oruxmaps settings as the apps' navigation service

numbers 1-5 should be a 'run once' or 'setup' process, and not need messing every time brouter is called upon by locus/osmand/oruxmaps.

6 THE POINTS the user selects to navigate from/to MUST BE ON A ROAD for routing to take place. brouter doesn't know how to climb a water tower, ford a lake, crawl through abandoned mines, or fly the space shuttle. it's a ROAD routing piece of magic.

it you notice in the video, the moment the points are selected OFF road, locus throws the error. with a very short error, it's saying "hey, put the points on a road, dude!"

this might be the main part confuzzling you:
    when you SEARCH AN ADDRESS by pressing a point on a map CLOSE TO A ROAD, the online lookup provides you with the CLOSEST STREET ADDRESS TO THAT POINT, but actually passes the GPS coordinates to brouter, because brouter doesn't care about no stinking street addresses. :evil

keep in mind, brouter can recalculate when you miss a turn/waypoint very very quickly. if you're out of cellular coverage, Mapquest can't be called on to do that for you. the ingenious way locus and brouter work together means your CURRENT LOCATION is what is recalculated, the rest of the route is still used. until the variance is greater than (magic number here) which means recalcs are FAST and easy on the battery.

errors:
    "FROM" or "TO points not mapped" = see above
    "brouter not installed or running" = well, is it ? if it's not running, start it up and select 'server mode', then try again with locus/osmand/oruxmaps
    "locus crashed" = lol, sorry, i've never seen that. even with 30 routes displayed, 200 waypoints, navigation, and guide all turned on and active at once.

hope this clears it up
  16. levain

Oddometer:
    You can't clarify it more. It still doesn't work. I can zoom in as far as it can to keep it on the road. No idea what is going on other than feeling frustrated that locus doesn't just build in offline routing. I'm sure there's a reason...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    what versions of brouter and locus are you specifically using ?
    ex_MGB likes this.
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    locus 3.1.1

brouter 0.9.9
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    restart phone, brouter, and locus, then try again

I just tried it with cords near there, it works

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

try try again
    marbee40 likes this.
  20. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I am navigating along a track that is on a road, I cannot see.the road label. The track covers it completely. Is there a way to see both the track and label?