Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Is there a reason you don't just use Graphopper online for your nav source? Do you actually not have internet/cell service at your starting location?

The offline routing files are only necessary when you plan on starting routes out in the middle of nowhere where you don't have any cell/internet service.
  2. redwhitebike

redwhitebike n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can post a survey in regards to adventure riding navigation? I would like to make sure its all allowed before I go ahead and create a new thread. Thanks
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    probably in the 'which gps is for me' section would be right/best ?

i'm only guessing. don't worry, the navigation section admins are pretty forgiving of simple mistakes. go for it
  4. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    That's a crock of shit.
  5. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Well... if it can take into account road inclination to choose less steep roads it could be true???
    I read in a discussion that BRouter is meant to deal 150miles routes. I found it can handle up to 1700kms nicely. I can't get it to route 2000kms. I don;t understand how ohgood managed to route 2600miles!
  6. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    It could be a limitation of your phone. Without getting too technical, a graph theory algorithm will become exponentially more memory dependent the further apart the end points are. If the app can't set aside enough RAM to store all the potential routes your navigation might take, it will crash with that error you get.

I would try navigating from your starting point to immediately across the first ferry, and see if you get the results you are looking for. Keep trying longer and longer routes to see how far you can get until it starts to error out. I tested crossing ferries via Graphhopper offline routing (from Crown Point to Ocracoke in NC), and ferries do indeed work.

Also check your selected navigation settings, that you aren't doing things like "avoid highways", especially on long trips.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

oh shoot i think i have it set to use graph hopper ! I'll test tonight and see what the limit is
  8. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    3,471 km loop with brouter :dunno

[​IMG]
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i reset it to use brouter, yup , routes a long way fine Screenshot_20191022-174047.png
  10. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Oaou! Impressive 1600 miles and 2100 miles. I wonder what I have set wrong.
    I tried ferry crossing from Greece to Italy and worked as SRTir4k suggested.
    My device is a Kyocera Duratotce pro 6820.
    Cheers
  11. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I still don't understand why you want to route ferry crossings.
  12. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I want to route from my place to my destination, using all necessary means of transport in the way. That is what other nav apps do, so I want my chosen app to be able to do the same and some more if possible.
    So your routing is done on BRouter off line right?
  13. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Not as my first option. I typically route plan on my PC at home with a combination of GoogleMaps and CalTopo.

If I'm out on a ride and I need to reroute, I will use Locus offline with brouter. My GPS phone doesn't even have a functional sim slot so I can't route online even if I wanted to.

I hardly ever take an A to B route since I mostly ride off-road and the trails I want to ride rather than letting a routing algorithm select the route for me but if I were preparing for a ride and I needed to take ferries i would simply route from dock to dock. I think it would make more sense to import ferry docking waypoints if you need to get to one on the go rather than routing through these points.

but I just don't know enough about your terrain to really say it would work. Arizona is not Greece. The closest ferry here is hundreds of miles away which is why your insistence on routing through ferries is alien to me.
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I had a route in brouter that went 8800 miles across the US (suffice it to say there was a lot of north south action.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Ferries work in BRouter also, I do it all of the time.

You may not have ferries, I have plenty of them.
    cyberdos likes this.
  16. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I am thinking my profiles are not properly set. That is why I get memory limits reached. And traveling hours are too many! 600 hours for 1700kms seems like cycling profile is on.
  17. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Those little glitches in settings are what drive me nuts sometimes. I wish I could help more. Sorry. Good luck.
  18. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    That’s a slow bike. Gotta be a walking profile. That’s why ferry routing doesn’t work. Only guy I know that could walk on water probly didn’t have too many ferries available.
  19. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very very new to all this and going to read as mush of this thread as I can. Locus seems powerful and saving me buying a new Garmin SatNav.

What do you guys use to create tracks/routes on your computer/laptop before transferring to the phone? I have an iMac and Windows machines so either platform.

Essentially I have downloaded the Morocco Overland waypoint pack and installed the Locus Morocco maps and it looks great but I'd like to great a track/route on the PC/laptop
  20. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Locus under Windows with the Android emulator Memu. The benefit of this solution is, that you have the same software environment for planning, navigation and archivation. Plan with Locus on your PC, synch the Locus database to your phone via dropbox, record track while riding and synch back when at home again.
    AdvNener, Essjay and Emgo like this.