Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

You can donwload on the road by either tethering to your day to do phone or anywhere that you have WiFi, you don't need a sim for the WiFi transceiver to work
  2. Vanilo Petrucci

Vanilo Petrucci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it rather was. I installed from another website. Downloaded a zipped file on my computer > unzip it > copy it to my nav phone > put it in the right folder and import it in Locus. I tried openandromaps.org, a lot easier indeed! Thanks for pointing it out to me.

With maps out of the way I installed the Locus pro version immediately (I'm keeping Osmand as a back-up, you never know). I'm stoked to try it on the tracks, particularly the auto-zoom function, really curious how that will go once out there.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are pirated versions and you shouldn't install them. Support the ACTUAL developers and buy the app. I can't stand app pirates!
  4. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but this is bullshit. Computer Bild is a well known PC mag in Germany and no pirate site. Keep better informed before you write such stupid things!
    Second: Locus Dev´s know about this, as it was postet in Locus-Forum too: https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=7063.msg60493#msg60493
    Third: It is not unusual from devs to spend full versions, which are not updateble for free as an promotion.
  5. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    First of all, it's a pirated copy.

Secondly, just because some "LocusUser#1" posted it in their forums doesn't mean the devs know about it or are ok with it.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. As a former app dev it pisses me off to see apks floating around out there like this.

If menion wanted to release a free version of his work he could have done so himself. Having some random user post it means it's not official.
  6. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No. You are talking bullshit. EOT and ignored.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you think so. Glad you're going to ignore me so I don't have to listen to your anger any more.
  8. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    Wise person once said: "Anything for free has no value.."
    EmmEff, MrMac and flamingm0e like this.
  9. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what Locus uses to estimate Track Time? I created a track which is 142 miles. Locus shows a track time of 4:28:59, avg speed 31.8mph. Seems exceedingly conservative, even if using posted speed limits...
  10. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have nothing to back this up, but I suspect it’s calculating the time based on the speed limit(s) set in the segment(s) and then falls back to some default if there’s none defined. I’ve learned to take those values with a grain of salt. You’ll definitely get there in the time it says, but probably much less.

I do mostly back road riding and find that my average speed is usually 60km/h or better and use that as a guideline.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if many of you are on Locus forum but I posted a question there about route planning and the available Brouter profiles, and their limitations for unpaved roads.
    I would like to see a profile that is more useful for offline route planning that incorporates unpaved public roads. Often I'll have to switch to MTB , waking or draw manually.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=72723&share_type=t&link_source=app
    TripleTriples likes this.
  12. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:

I forgot to mention that I tried all the themes too.

??? what am I missing? Is the osm missing from locus?
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just tried OSM Outdoors map in locus and it worked fine. I get all details I expect from all the maps.

This seems like a setting in the app is blocking something.

Go to settings, maps, online maps, and make sure "cached maps only" is not checked.

Settings, maps, advanced features. Enable optimize raster map resolution.
  14. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    both of those settings are as you noted? I also tried deleting the cache. Can you post a screengrab of osm outdoors?

I am putting locus on a chromebook now to see what osm outdoors looks like on there?
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trinidad Colorado

Screenshot_20200809-153259_Locus%20Map.jpg
  16. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep on the chromebook is works fine...any other things I can delete or modify before I have to start again from scratch?
  17. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put in trinidad and it shows the major roads but not the detail. Are you using the online map under OSM Outdoor called:
    "Outdoors
    Hiking, Cyclo"

???
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.

Screenshot_20200809-153916_Locus%20Map.jpg
  19. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    well thanks for your help. I will keep trying...I really do not want to have to set up this beast again.
  20. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    SOLVED...stupid zoom lock was on!!!