1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can only attach one pic at time to my posts and mods refuse to fix it....

Screenshot_20200912-104935_Solid%20Explorer.jpg
  2. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else experienced a failure in Locus to download and unzip either the openandromap or the theme zip files when clicking the Locus button through the web browser?
  3. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had issues with one phone.. download seemed to work but locus had trouble unzipping correctly. Probably android permissions related. Never digged into it and simply downloaded from computer then copied files where they had to go.

It works as intented on my new phone now.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    provide a link to the maps you're having issue with and I'll test it.
  5. kubcat

Oddometer:
  6. kubcat

Oddometer:
    so the Elevate.zip file for manual installation from the openandromaps.org website only has one subfolder (ele_res), the readme file, Elements.xml and Elevate.xml in it. Where did all of the other files you show come from?
  7. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Here is the error message I get when initiating a download from a 3rd party site - openadromaps.org. I checked the default file locations as configured in settings, and the zip files did download to the correct folders. When looking at the zip files with android's file manager, the contents seem to be intact. Manually unzipping them into the correct locations worked for the map, but not for the style. I'm stumped...
    Edit: I didn't have the error message ID captured in the screenshot. Here it is...

Screenshot_20200914-134104.png
  8. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you use the standard internal SDCard location for locus or are you trying to force it to use external SDCard? It won't really work with external SDCards. Permissions issues.
  9. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    As flamingm0e says, if you are using an external SD card for Locus storage, you cannot use the Locus downloader because Locus does not have permission to write to the SD card in any location but the app folder (which is not really relevant to this discussion).

If you are using an external SD card, you will have to manually download the theme. After downloading, create a folder on your desktop called "Elevate", then extract everything from the zip file into that Elevate folder. Then connect your phone to your PC and navigate to the _themes directory on your external SD card. Then copy that Elevate folder to the _themes directory. I think the key piece of missing information here is that you did not place the files in the Elevate folder in your _themes folder.

The one catch to the above is that, for some reason, the manual download does not include icons for the themes. That said, they will still work in Locus, they will just have generic theme icons.

If you are using onboard storage for Locus files, the theme downloader at openandromaps will indeed do everything for you.
  10. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I'm using external SD storage. I assumed the failures were permissions related, so I was using the manual method using the android file management tools. I finally switched to a desktop approach, deleted the existing maps, installed the rendering engine/themes, followed the folder structure on the OAM webpage FAQ, rather than the screenshots you posted (put everything under the Elements folder under _themes), then reinstalled the map files after the theme files were there. Now everything is showing as it should. I'm not 100% on what actually did the trick, but at least the folder structure is logical and everything seems to be working. Thanks for following along...
    AdvNener likes this.
  11. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Are there any restrictions on what can be placed in Map Items to use as an overlay? I am trying to overlay a map of Native American reservations, for which I can only find fairly low resolution images online, either by pulling them into Map Items through Locus, (no result) or copying and pasting the jpgs into Map Items (file appears after Locus refresh, but is grayed-out and cannot be selected - i have a couple of map points in there, gpx or kml i think, which are not grayed out and can be selected).
    I'm assuming that not all jpgs are created equal, but i have tried taking screenshots of other online files, and these don't appear to work either.
  12. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    An old question arises again. I still have problems navigating long distances. For a 2000kms trip the calculation runs forever and finally shows a message: memory limit reached. It seems there is an amount of memory dedicated to calculating that needs expansion? My phone has internal memory 256GB so it doesn't make sense. All installation has been done automatically.
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    The memory mentionned is very likely to be the RAM, not the storage space. So 2/3/4/6 Gb etc.
    Which routing engine are you using?
    Just tested a Zurich to Porto with brouter offline on my 4Gb RAM phone, it computed for more than 5 minutes. I didn't see if it showed a message but did not finish the calculation anyway, so probably same error.
    Then i just tried again and he managed to calculate a 1900km route.

Anyway, brouter doesn't look like it is the right tool for such long route calculation. I must admit I would never do that myself. I sometimes to such long "all trip in one track) planning", but then I use the route planner in locus as I have waypoints to enter (places to see, to sleep etc etc), and so it breaks the whole thing in small parts for brouter to calculate.

Do you really use it like "I have to go 2000km away, i don't care where we go on the way, just calculate a path to there?"
    Sonny S. likes this.
  14. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I leave it up to BRouter to do all the decisions. If I want to put intermediate waypoints, that would be 1 or 2. Do you think this would solve the problem?
  15. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Is there a reason you don't want to use Google Maps?

Locus routing is pretty good, but if all you want is to get from point A to point B, Google Maps is a WAY better tool.
    EmmEff likes this.
  16. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    It certainly would help to split the distance.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    you can use any size jpg image you like to create the kmz, which locus will then display on the map. locus does not display jpg images in the map by themselves, they have to be georeferenced first.

did you see the "image map calibration"tool yet in locus ?

use that to make any JPEG you want, into an overlay, and it will live in map_items after you're done.

Screenshot_20200922-092910.png
    RoundOz and Emgo like this.
  18. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Aah...my mistake for thinking the image had to be brought in and overlayed prior to being calibrated. That seems almost too easy. Thank you.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    The reason I use brouter for very long distances is I like the offline navigation. Truth is, for street nav, I prefer the Here maps. More user friendly.
    Cheers
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  20. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you folks checked out caltopo recently? They have updated the mobile app. The data served up leaves locus in the dust IMHO. The mvum layer is impressive.