Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your comment was for me...no other app is as powerful as locus in features. Caltopo is superior in map data. I have installed openandro, lo and thorne and its not even close...and I am not alone in wanting more in maps from locus.
    ohgood and flamingm0e like this.
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I misread what you said, but you said that other apps that support it are more powerful. I am just wondering in what way are they more powerful than Locus?

I haven't seen a set of maps yet that offers everything I am looking for (except for the layers that Gaia has)
  3. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    More powerful in the sense that they support geo-referenced PDF. All my ranting is about having better detail in maps and other products have that. Go to caltopo. Com and try out the browser version I think you will be impressed
    flamingm0e likes this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tried the browser version and installed the app on my phones. It's decent, but cumbersome. I prefer Gaia (we'll see how well I like Gaia after they remove Caltopo)
  5. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you saying Gaia has caltopo inside?
  6. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    jojojones and flamingm0e like this.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gaia has Caltopo layers
  8. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow... I did not know that I will have to check it out thank you
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just pulled up Gaia to grab a screenshot of the available Caltopo layers, and it looks like a bunch of them are already missing.

I'm trying to find the article that explains caltopo shutting down their API for 3rd party devs, which means when it's shut down, Gaia won't have those anymore. I wonder if Gaia started removing them pre-emptively. :dunno

https://caltopo.com/about/2020/09/02/ending-layer-licensing/
  10. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, that means that you can forget my post above very soon. Caltopo won't serve their tiles over WMS or WMTS anymore...
  11. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    :(

I much prefer Gaia's interface to Caltopo's. Gaia is so much easier to work with on the layers, and the app has a better look and feel to it. Aesthetics matter to a lot of people, and UX should matter to everyone. I feel Caltopo, while really powerful, doesn't hold a candle to Gaia.

If I could get Gaia's layers in Locus, I probably wouldn't need any other app. I pay a yearly fee to Gaia, so I would be willing to do the same with any app with its level of functionality.
  12. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a way to get caltopo tiles from the browser version in to locus using a 3rd party method. Info in locus forum.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  13. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Butler Maps to GEO-PDF, everything can be added to Locus, you just have to want it bad enough, and be willing to endure the pain of getting it working. I wish there were 1-Click add-ons for many of the missing layers. Given what I pay for Garmin devices and maps, I would gladly pay someone $5-$10 for a 1-Click solution for adding MVUM or Strava Heatmaps, or Butler Road Maps, to Locus. The new Google Maps data is finally showing up in Locus, the colors and lettering are gorgeous.
  14. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had strava in it for a while just limited zoom level but good enough.

Google maps was always in until locus removed the addons ...now you have to manually add it.

USFS was the last I remember locus devs helping to get working
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

unfortunately I think both of us wanting it, isn't enough if a demand for them to consider it.

if you're using locus, you're already a minority of the map app users... if you're looking for Gepff, even tinier... .. I'm just hoping they never remove image referencing, cause I use that a lot
  16. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only dip into this thread periodically. Scan a recent few pages and learn what I can...

Big take-aways this trip: deselecting Elevate overlays to get to the bare minimum and turning on map shading in "additional layers".

Wow - whole new interface experience. So paired-down, simple, and much more dynamic looking. The shading really helps make sense of my surroundings; it reflects what I see.
    Emgo and ohgood like this.
  17. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    That's unfortunate. In retrospect I guess it didn't really add much beyond BRouter anyways, except for road names in the itinerary and maybe faster calculation of routes (when it worked).
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    boooo

we're getting closer to the eventuality if that last update before they go subscription based

boooooo
  20. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer: