Locus

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by levain, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

look at your scale showing, 1 mile on osmand is twice as wide! zoom in or enable scaling in the settings.
  2. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I like these levels of auto zoom:
    [​IMG]

maybe you should check that"sensor filtering" isn't to aggressive in your preferences?

as far as look ahead, or predictive zooming, I don't think you will SSR that any time soon. as long as your phone isn't choking on data, and has a good GPS fix, it should be instantaneous.
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I much prefer the way Locus does it compared to Garmin. I haven't noticed any slow refreshing at all with mine, it's pretty much instantaneous, but then the phone I have is one of the latest with a very fast processor. I imagine that can have something to do with the refresh rates. I'm pretty sure I left my zoom levels stock.

Do you have a lot of apps running in the background, or something that uses a lot of processor power?
  4. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Good Day Everyone,

I see Locus upgraded last night while I was doing other things.

Anyone have an idea of new stuff or is this just a 'fix'?

Da Monk
  5. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    For the first time today.
    I opened up Locus, created a route to a place I kind of know.
    I am using brouter and did all of this offline?

No street names or exit numbers.

What do I have set wrong?

I got there but I would rather have a exit number or exit road
    rather than take left in 400 yards.

Da Monk
  6. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Locus does not announce street names when offline. That is an issue for me also.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    it will not tell you street names with brouter, because it does not know them. brouter knows "turn ahead in 250 feet" not "Mary Jane street".

you may find (for me anyway) that turning on speed zooming makes enough difference that tbt is no longer needed.

if not, just use mapquest to supply directions with tbt prompts.
  8. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    ok. Thanks Guys.

That is what I thought, but hoped I was wrong.

Da Monk
  9. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    ok, where is speed zooming?
    Is there a setting that you can turn on so when you come up to a turn it
    zooms down to a greater zoom level?
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    This should help
  11. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    What theme is everybody using? I cannot find a theme that displays the roads in an acceptable way.

I've posted on the Locus Forum only to be met with so much resistance and lack of understanding (experience?) with navigation by car or motorcycle. Contrary to the developer's understanding and acceptance, not everybody uses Locus for walking or cycling.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    theme used depends on the activity. usually road work means I use "classic map" that looks similar to Google maps.

[​IMG]
    for off road, normally one of the "volatile" themes.

the road names are large and clear, when using auto zooming , for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keep in mind the view you may really enjoy could be annoying to me, and the opposite. it's very user dependant, and the zoom settings for both maps (scaling) and text is essential to pin down before worrying yourself with themes. once those font and acceptable scaling options are set, the themes work much better.

let me know if I can help.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you get those "external themes"?

My vector map screen looks like this

[​IMG]
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    most of them were from http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?board=40.0

1 download
    2 drop in /sdcard/locus/vectormaps/_themes
    3 restart locus

:thumbup:
  15. NJ-Bill

Oddometer:
    I keep getting the following error when navigating. It has happened when I tried navigating to a stored point that is more than 100 miles away AND when recalculating on a route. Here is the error.

Pass0 timeout after 60 seconds

This happened one hour into a five hour, 250 mile route, which was the first day of an eight day trip. Luckily, I had all the routes stored in my Garmin 60CSX. For that trip, I abandoned hope for Locus and used my trusted Garmin. This weekend, my wife and I were going to a resort three hours away so I planned to give Locus a second chance. The resort was 146 miles from home and Locus threw the same error.

Needless to say, I have lost confidence in this app, especially given my hardware is a brand new Galaxy S5. I really want this to work but my results are very discouraging.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    do the same route with Mapquest as the routing engine, does it fail similarly?

(I'm betting not)

then check your brouter segments that are installed, they may be lacking sections for the route.

are your brouter, locus, and segments current? all three have had updates in the last two weeks.

this was a quick 600+ mile route just now:
    [​IMG]

I recall brouter saying shorter routes worked better, or there was a bug in long calculations, or something. apparently routing needs to be less than 100 miles outer section of the route?
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    thanks to jproaster (hey, thanks again!) I got some hands on time with a (c771) Casio commando ruggedized phone yesterday. it acquirers satellites very quickly, battery lasted predictably, and screen brightness was great for a short 100 mile street ride. what really surprised me were two things:

phone speed (performance of tasks)
    and
    how loud the speakers are

this is a four year old phone, and it's only barely noticeably slower than a new dual core.

another surprise was just how much I liked the smaller 3.5" screen. my galaxy s2 is borderline too large, and the commando just highlighted this even more. I'll be purchasing a 4G version of the commando soon, and swapping from T-Mobile to Verizon because of it, or possibly to Att (rugby pro) for a constant signal instead of spot reception like I have now on T-Mobile.

great experience, great performance !

using the camera under water was a real hoot too ;-)
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    try it with brouter in preferences, and segments less than 100 miles with the route builder tool in locus.

I think you'll going is a problem with segment distances, not over all route distances.

the routing tool in locus is very good for shaping the route around (or too) places you're interested in.

keep in mind you can save that route and then just reverse it for the ride back, or record it along the way out, and then use that track on the way back too.

so many options.,.. :-)
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    also, if I were planning a 400+ mile day, if just use the mapquest option anyway. is super fast, very light on the data usage, and configurable. save THAT route and then use the locus shaping tool if it needs more refining.

:)
  20. NJ-Bill

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I need some clarification on these statements. Are you saying there are settings in Brouter that control segments? I do not know the difference between a segment and a route.