Loess Hills -- Iowa group ride planning for 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Orangecicle, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    UPDATE 5/18/2019: Loess Hill Date Reset: We had to postpone the ride on 5/17-18 due to weather (like lightening, hail).

The new dates are
    June 7 through 8.

I'm reserving the campground (up to four sites) and one small cabin now by the bathhouse. The cabin gives us a place to cook and hang if weather moves in. There are also other cabins available the last time I checked.

Campsites are $15 a night, but $20 if you use electric. The charge is per tent. PM me for reservation information. Book tent space through me.

Committed:

@Orangecicle
    @32dgrz
    @Brek81 +1
    @RoundOz
    @Hamberg
    @GlobalriderTrev

50% Committed:
    @s0lidstate
    @FishyMoto
    Bruce K., assuming he can get is bike to start.
    @Az guy

Aught to be Committed:
    @engineman
    @ZLTFUL
    @ts3doug
    @IAbryon

GPX Tracks. Thanks much to @IAbryon for helping me test tracks!!! Tracks were updated 5/11/2019 at 2:40pm with the final, final version. I found a mistake in the tracks I uploaded earlier in the day and fixed it. There is still one road marked as gravel that . . . isn't a road. You'll need to work around that.

The final GPX has something like 37 tracks and 21 waypoints in a single GPX file. I use Motion-X, and that program allows me to organize each subset of tracks into its own "folder," so to speak. I can then choose to display or not display the B roads, and I can color code the B roads. That way, I can see the B Roads in advance and can avoid them if it is wet. YMMV. :deal This is what my screen looks like when riding.

IMG_0745.jpg

Not all "B" roads are really B roads. If two B roads were close to each other I just made a continuous track between them because . . . I'm lazy. Just know that some Bs will have gravel.

Included in the "Final" track is an alternate route that takes you from the Twisted Tail in BeeBeeTown to the campground. There are a few B roads in the track, and there is one C Road which had an open gate when we passed through. C roads can be gaited and marked "No Trespassing," so go down that road at your own risk. Most of this track is just a nice paved road through the hills.

I've also uploaded a "Travel" GPX, which was originally designed to get you from the Missouri border to the campgrounds. That file is there for the adventurous souls who want a challenge getting to the Hideaway campsite. That track includes both gravel and B roads, so if it's wet . . . um, good luck. Look at it this way, you carry camping gear for a reason, right?

If the roads are dry, you'll likely find that the B roads are actually better than the gravel. Many spots in the gravel roads have very soft dirt below with gravel on top. I've noted one particularly crappy gravel road in the north and provided an ALT track around the worst bit.

Camping: Loess Hills Hideaway campground: https://www.loesshillshideaway.com
    There is also a bathhouse with one shower for guys and one for the ladies.
    :beer

[​IMG]

View from the northernmost B road:
    [​IMG]

Preparation Canyon Overlook:
    [​IMG]

Typical Loess Hills B Road:
    [​IMG]

Pathfield Road (southeast of Pacific Junction)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Event Sponsors: None. This is nothing more than a group of like-minded people getting together. I drew some lines on a map so that I could ride them. Follow them if you feel like it, but you do so at your own risk.

Will there be T-shirts? If you bring your own T-shirts, then there will be T-shirts.

Attached Files:

dtysdalx2 and ts3doug like this.
  2. Brek81

Brek81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could be talked into it, have to check my calendar
  3. gn83tm

gn83tm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm always up for Raleigh Ave and Wabonsie overlook so maybe I can make some of this happen. Hard to plan for a whole weekend though. If you're looking for info on the area, let me know and I'll give you my 2 cents.
    Orangecicle likes this.
  4. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Toss out any ideas. I don’t know the northern hills very well so I certainly need ideas. A friend said Twisted Tail Steakhouse and Saloon in Logan is a must. Raleigh Road, the teepee overlook nearby, and Wolfman Hollow are all on my list.
  5. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interested and watching.....
  6. terryth

terryth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Blair about ten miles on the NE side from Missouri Valley, been riding there for over a decade now. We have a 170 or so mile loop from Missouri valley up fairly close to Sioux City and back hitting all the best B roads.
  7. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Nice! Do you have a GPX file?
  8. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    A few Loess Hill pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 and FarmerKeith like this.
  9. gn83tm

gn83tm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Twisted Tail is in Beebeetown, south of Logan. The cafe in Pisgah is decent as well and about the only thing in that area.

Old Lincoln Highway (183) and L34 are paved routes north of CB. 127, F20L, and L23 are decent hard surface in the Logan, Woodbine, Pisgah area. There are fun level Bs around Pisgah/Moorehead including Olive, Peach, Grange, etc. Take a look at the DOT maps for that area and have at it.

Check out the Loess Hills Scenic Byways maps for decent gravel and paved riding.

Hopefully the flood waters are gone by then and the roads returned to decent shape. If it's damp, the Loess soil on level Bs can be a real bear.
  10. byknphil

byknphil lurker

Oddometer:
    Up for it. T.W.A.T. in planing phase with some Des Moines gents so dates pending.
  11. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the TWAT as well. I have someone from Wisconsin interested in running it with me.
    FrumTarn and ts3doug like this.
  12. FLX

FLX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds fun, just moved here and be happy to attend.
    Pictures look nice might even have to go before on my own.
  13. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Cool. I’ll be pre-running the gravel beforehand to get decent tracks, so maybe we can get together sometime.
  14. s0lidstate

s0lidstate Two Wheels = Fun

Oddometer:
    I'll join the party. I'm a total noob on a dual sport (I don't even have the bike yet lol... getting it soon), but I've been doing highway trips on crotch rockets for years and I've got camping gear. Don't have a GPS set up yet but I'll probably have something by May.
  15. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in
  16. IAbryon

IAbryon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Hit me up for any planning ride. We have some good routes north of I-680. I don't think it's really worth wasting your time South of I-680 unless you're coming from that direction - less dirt and more gravel. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a large group.

Waubonsie will be full with people displaced from the flood, and other flooded campgrounds in SW Iowa.

Willow lake is the best campground in the area, but will be full if the weather is decent. Usually by Wednesday. May have luck at Shaben Park or Loess Hills Hideaway. Preperation Canyon State Park has hike in camping that I've heard people have rode into before, but I personally wouldn't.

Defiantly recommend the Twisted Tail in BB Town. Especially if you can plan hitting it for dinner on Friday (Smoked Ribs) or Saturday (Smoked Prime Rib).
    Orangecicle likes this.
  17. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interested.
  18. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    June is iffy for me, but I may be able to finagle something
  19. GlobalriderTrev

GlobalriderTrev GlobalADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Brad, thanks for posting this. I've not ridden in the Loess hills and was glad to see this thread. I voted for the 7-9 June. I'm good with 17-19 May as well. I plan on going to Atchinson, KS. on 31 May-2 June for the Land of Oz rally. I'll watch this thread for updates.
  20. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Attached is a draft GPX file from the Missouri border to Willow Lake campground. This hits as many B roads as possible along the way. I create this on a Mac using a little program called GPX Editor. Would someone download it and let me know how it displays on your device? I use Motion-X GPS on an iPhone. Looks good to me. There are five tracks in the GPX file. The last file -- Harrison -- has 524 track points, which may be too many. If I added it up right, this track is 177.5 miles, so a decent day. My best days on the COBDR were about 250 miles, so it sounds reasonable so far to me.

Attached Files: