Lolo Pass Motorway

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by blkvsn, Dec 16, 2003.

1. blkvsn

blkvsn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me anything about the Lolo Pass Motorway? It is part of the Lewis & Clark Trail which parallels Hwy 12 from Lolo Pass to Kamiah, ID. A good portion of it is FS 500 from the looks of the websites I've visited. We are entering the lottery to get a permit for August, 2004, and I'd like to know what the road is like. I'm planning to ride it on my Tiger, and want to know what I'm getting myself into. All I know is that it was graded in the 1930s and apparently, they haven't done much since, to keep in a primitive state. Popular with hikers, mountain bikers and SUVs from what I understand.
  2. idahojoe

idahojoe shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    I rode the lolo motorway last aug. The lottery hasn't been necessary due to lack of interest. We were able to just show up at the F.S. station in Kooski and get a permit for free. They allowed us to travel either direction, not one way as origionally intended. The first 30 or so miles were freshly graded AND watered. Once on the ridge, the road was in great shape. A few partially submerged rocks but no big deal. the north part of the road was closed due to fire, but we traveled 2/3 of the way to lolo. then we had to decend to hwy 12. this year I'm going to camp and spend more time on the ridge.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a section of my Mexico to Canada ride. We used it last July but phoned ahead for a permit and used it west to east. We have had several KTM adventures all of which found it very easy.
  4. T Rex

T Rex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might be a good idea to stay in touch with the Forest Circus boys up there, with the BMWMOA in Spokane next year they may change the rules as a lot of bikes will ride that route next year.
    Don't overlook the "Magruder Corridor", this is a great area to explore with a bike and you wont see as many Lewis and Clark visitors.
  5. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    :wave Hi Rex! Merry Christmas! Looks like our Christmas Day ride is going to be a wet/nasty one. All the best!
  6. blkvsn

blkvsn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rex, Thanks for the reminder on the Beemer rally. Where is the Magruder Corridor?

Thanks
  7. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Howdy Rex!

Say, wasn't the Magruder closed due to a slide? I know it changed our plans on the Nez Perce this last time... :pissed
  8. drholm

drholm Easily Amused

Oddometer:
    :kurt
    Hey cRAsH Here's hoping you get some great drugs for Christmas to ease the rehab. Hope to catch up with you at the 49er next year. Have a merry!
  9. T Rex

T Rex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crash,
    Yea part of it was closed last summer. Fire + Rain = mud slides.

blkvsn,
    Magruder runs roughly from Darby MT. to Elk City ID. If you have MapQuest it shows up, if not you will need to order a National Forest map, Travel Plan for Nez Perce Nationl Forest. If you still have trouble finding it let me know.

dr,
    See you at Sand Hollow Sunday?