Lone Rider Motobags

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Aztecking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Aztecking

Aztecking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen or bought the new semirigid bags from Lone Rider? I’m thinking of getting a set of soft bags but can’t decide which ones yet.

Jeff
  2. codpilot

codpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the Bumot soft bags simply because the hard bags fit the same rack in case I change my mind later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Wish I had seen these before I bought my Brooks panniers. They will never look as nice as an aluminum case but if they are what they say they are with locking that is secure and an easy on/off solution than they might be great.
  5. McBike

McBike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These bags look fantastic. Looking forward to a review.
  6. Aztecking

Oddometer:
    I like the ability to lock them.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  7. GB

Oddometer:
    Waterproof, the ability to lock them in place, semi rigid, but I also think you can remove the rigid supports and use them as soft bags.

I've seen first hand what happens to other soft bags when the bike goes down.. seams split, severe fabric abrasion.. etc.. I've seen 2 videos of extreme abrasion testing of Lone Rider panniers, here's one:

and when I find the other one, I'll post it here. it was of a bike with Lone Rider bags being towed then crashed and dragged.. very impressive results. when I find that video, I'll post it here, in the meantime, something else, my soft bags are dirt/mud stained, the stains won't come out in the wash, but this too is impressive:

bobw and AZQKR like this.
  8. GB

Oddometer:
    Ok, found it.. here's an overall view of the Lone Rider panniers, to see the crash and drag the bike go to 2:17

9. Aztecking

Oddometer:
    They sure look impressive!
  10. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a 5,500 kilometre trip of BC and Alaska with the Lone Rider Motobags. I'm really impressed. Plenty of places to lash things to the outside of the bags using the molle system. Waterproof inner bags worked perfectly in rain, muck and dust. They are collapsible when not in use. They also have a built-in steel bracket and locking system for securing your belongings and gear. The build quality is excellent and the customer service that I've received has been top-rate. I used the 45 litre (left) / 38 litre (right) combination, which allows for bringing a significant amount of gear especially for this trip where I needed my camping supplies.

Full disclosure - I was able to get these bags as a tester and provide feedback with the option to keep them at 50% off retail price. After using them, I'll certainly be keeping them.

IMG_0905.jpg IMG_0959.jpg IMG_0965.jpg
  11. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath Old 'nuff to know better...

Oddometer:
    Wow. You actually got a set?
    Last thing I heard they were still 'in production', the whole shpeel they've been promoting started to make me nervous...
  12. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    I was getting a bit concerned as well. The production kept getting put back and back. Luckily, their customer service was excellent and they gave regular updates by e-mail.
    In the end, I almost ran out of time to use them on my trip and they rushed them to me from China (I'm assuming that's where they are being made) in two days by air.

13. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful shots !
    Is the bag locked to the racks?
  14. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath Old 'nuff to know better...

Oddometer:
    I did like the design as a hard/soft option. But I was pretty shocked at the end price. I wrongly assumed these would be a more affordable option.
  15. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    The bag is bolted to a frame that goes on to the pannier rack (SW Motech racks on my bike).
    On the top of the bag the roll top has steel reinforcement and rolls under a two part steel locking mechanism.

Oeths likes this.
  16. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy to take some photos if anyone is curious.
  17. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    One of the first pieces of feedback I gave Lone Rider was that the price was too high. Maybe if it included racks and mounting hardware but just the bags is a bit steep.

I have Mosko Moto Backcountry 25s on my little bike and they are excellent in every way. The Lone Rider with the rectangular shape makes it easier to organize and compartmentalize things.

That being said, they've claimed to make the best soft luggage and I think they've done it. They really are tough, easy to mount, and functional luggage.

Roaddogg likes this.
  18. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I went with the Nelson-Rigg Adventure soft/dry panniers. So far so good. A bit less space then my Brooks ( 27 liters per side) but I will use them on rides that involve more off-road. The Brooks for longer road trips. They are very reasonably priced and their gear is pretty good.
    superfunkomatic and lewisjr1 like this.
  19. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was curious about Lone Rider, but the price was a dealbreaker for me.

As for abrasion, I'd like to see the abrasion comparison between these and the best currently on the market (Wolfman, Offgrid, Giant Loop, Mosko). Yeah, Cortech or any of the other less expensive models are going to grind up, but any of the 4 I mentioned should be made with similar fabrics to the Lone Rider, sans the folding frame, box shape, lockability, etc.

Maybe I'll pick up the Lone Rider when I have the budget and would WANT hard case advantages without the hard case risk to my legs. That's where I see them shining.
  20. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak to the materials for sure but these are made from Hypalon where others are made from Cordura or Vinyl. Hypalon is used on Zodiac boats for the pontoons, so I’d assume it is durable but I guess time will provide the answers to the durability question. I think Lone Rider should put more information in their online marketing to explain the benefits of their product. Early use so far shows that they’ll likely last a good long time.