Lone Rider Motobags

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Aztecking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh right. I've worked with Hypalon before. It's extremely strong. I'm not 100% sure on its abrasion properties but it's insanely tear resistant, and very strong.
  2. duartesss

duartesss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I don't understand one thing: why to have a lock, if the strap for the lock can be so easily cut ?
    Thanks
    Duarte S.
  3. hakjar

hakjar n00b

Oddometer:
    duartesss and Oeths like this.
  4. duartesss

Oddometer:
    Thanks, in the video they have in their order page, is there with the strap.

But two more questions:
    - is the lock to prevent the access to inside the bag and/or also to prevent the removal of the bags from from the bike ?
    - same key for both bags?

Thanks
    Duarte S.
  5. hakjar

hakjar n00b

Oddometer:
    The bags is at the moment fixed to the rack with bolts so not easily removed. They're however working on a quick release system to be available this year.
    Unfortunately the locks have separate keys but they are small and to me not a problem on the key chain.

IMG_1940.JPG
    deadflagblues and Oeths like this.
  6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    The straps just hold everything snug on the outside.
    There is a steel support inside of the two pieces of the roll top bag - one on each side.
    They are folded over multiple times like a regular dry bag then folded into the locking strap/harness.
    The bags are then watertight and secure.
    IMG_1044.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1052.jpg

I've posted more photos in the other Motobags thread - Motobags locking soft pannier.

Oeths and duartesss like this.
  7. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Normal bolts and nuts for the mounting point?
    Looks like an easy job with open end spanner.
  8. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Yep. Really easy. They even include the ratchet wrench with the bags.
    Oeths likes this.
  9. hakjar

hakjar n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I was a bit unclear about the fastening of the bags. As said it's not that difficult to remove them but it takes a bit of time and is a little fiddly compared to a quick release system.
    Oeths likes this.
  10. duartesss

Oddometer:
    The 45lt allows to place an helmet inside?
  11. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine had these at the Fundy Adventure Rally last weekend. He seems to love them. They are huge!
  12. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you guys think these are overpriced compared to solid panniers, for what you're getting?

I like the idea of these bags, but because I'll be touring through cities as well, security is a big concern for me. Would you feel as confident about locking up valuables in one of these vs a solid case like a Globescout?
  13. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Value - yes and no. I think they are expensive for soft luggage but I also appreciate that LoneRider is a small company that is trying to innovate, so I don't mind paying a premium.
    $1500 CDN is a lot of money for luggage but I've bought OEM luggage and aftermarket luggage for bikes before and these are in roughly the same ballpark.
    I think they are very cleverly engineered and solidly built and will last. I've had several sets of hard luggage and I really think this is a step forward if you're going on adventures where you may drop the bike - no damage, no bent panniers, a bit lighter and just as easy to pack.
    As for security, I bring my camera and an iPad, both of which if they were stolen I'd be upset but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I don't carry anything else of significant value.
    I'd like to see how a knife does with cutting hypalon which would be a good demonstration of security. To be honest though, with hard panniers you can use a few hand tools and break in, too.
    I think they provide good/reasonable security especially given that they are a soft/hybrid bag.

bobw and AZQKR like this.
  14. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just came back from Ak., and stayed in motels about 15 of the 19 days gone. I'd put the rain cover on the bike after taking what I needed out of the panniers/dry bags and then put the cover on it. NO one bothered the bike with the rain cover tied down on the trip. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

One would have to take the cover off to even discover soft bags, I suggest putting the cover on the bike when it's parked. With that said, I'd not leave a bike in cities with hard or soft panniers, cover or no cover. Some places just aren't conducive to securing a motorcycle, never mind the panniers, the bike may go missing at night too.

Use your head, forethought goes a long way. Maybe a parking garage that has cameras, an attendant on duty at night. When I did the motor course in Hawthorne, Ca. this summer, I put the bike in the underground garage and talked to security about watching the bike for me. Cover on, no one touched it. I gave the security personnel 20.00 each for keeping an eye on it. Worth every penny.

Being a former leo, and presently a member of a CERT team, I have no problem approaching a police station and asking if I can park the bike in their parking area where someone could watch it for me, and taking an Uber or cab to my destination in the city from there. Or a fire station if one is closer as I have some creds in that regard and they'll usually be very happy to help a traveler as well.

Think outside the box bud, it's not that difficult. If I'm traveling on roadways and not off roading while away, the hard bags go back on the bike. If I'm going to be off roading at all, soft bags. I don't need soft bags in a city, I don't need hard bags in the dirt. It's not all THAT difficult or time consuming to move between two systems based on the ride and destination IMO. I've got the varios, on now, the LR's go on when I get them. When I head back east next spring and will be on tar the whole trip, the varios go back on.

If I'm not traveling beyond my state and just an over nighter or two, soft bags. Interstate for days or weeks on end, hard bags.
    Oeths likes this.
  15. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found out they ship from China in 3 boxes from a member of another site.

His impression of the system/racks and bags is that they are solid bags that will stand the test of time.
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done some light off roading in Baja and on dirt roads and forest trails in Colorado and on occasion, I've had minor spills. My bike at the time was outfitted with soft panniers which were completely undamaged and I've been using them on trips exclusively, even though I have a set of aluminum panniers which I now no longer use.

I liked the Lone Rider Motobags because you don't need to strap them down fore and aft as you would with my soft panniers, and you can retract them to a 3" width when unused and quickly expand them when you need them. They are mounted securely to the bike's pannier frames and can be locked, and since they are not bike model specific as they can be transferred to future bikes with luggage racks.

Mine came in two boxes, and each pannier is double boxed. One 38L pannier and one 45 litres. They are essentially permanently mounted semi-rigid or soft panniers when the rigid U shaped liner is removed, they become soft and can be totally collapsed when not in use. The Hypalon shell has a rubbery feel and I think this material is used on inflatable boats. Notice how the outside corners are reinforced with a rubber cover. In addition to the outer shell being waterproof, each pannier comes with an internal waterproof liner for easy loading and unloading from the bike and the adjustable carrying handles makes it easy to sling them over your shoulder.

My panniers did not come with any mounting instructions, but this youtube video is all the instructions you need:

The packages arrive double boxed: Mine was drop shipped from china by Fedex, arrived in a 4 or 5 days. The black wrap is the rigid liner for the pannier.
    [​IMG]

The included hardware: mounting brackets and a bag of additional spare parts; nuts, washers etc.

[​IMG]

the aluminum backing plate with varied slots to fit various luggage racks

[​IMG]

The pannier collapsed, note the rubber boots covering the corners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inner liner, fully waterproof, easy in / easy out, with adjustable carrying straps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motobag with rigid insert and locked

[​IMG]

Close up of the removable lock and lock bracket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I will install the mounting brackets to the luggage racks.
    Don T, Dave Young, bobw and 2 others like this.
  17. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent instructional video sir. Really will help when I get mine. I'll follow along with the vid step by step.

Thanks
  18. duartesss

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

How much time between the order and delivery?
  19. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it was just over a week or so.. I received the boxes once shipped in 5 business days. They were shipped on Friday and arrived the following Friday.
    The GS has Bumot aluminum cases which may end up being sold. For now, I'm going to install these on my other bike.. will post pics soon.
  20. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next shipment of bags is scheduled for Nov. delivery. I'm on the list for racks and a pair of bags for that delivery time line. Last of the bags for 2018 delivery.