Lone Rider Motobags

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Aztecking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which racks are you using to mount MotoBags on?

Wow, I didn't realize how well they're selling and with good reason. I just had a look at their WEBSITE
    I had requested that mine not be delivered before a date in August as I was mostly traveling and wouldn't be home to receive them. I lucked out.

One of the nice features of these panniers is they're there when you need them and retracted when you don't. Great for running errands around town. I'm only going to use the rigid insert when I'm doing longer trips. I will post installation pics soon.
    AZQKR likes this.
  2. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered their racks for the 2012 GS1200 when I ordered the bags. I presently have the Varios on the bike, but plan on doing more off roading and don't like the idea of hard bags that can be damaged in a get off. They recently sent me an email with a discount offer, and the total for racks and bags came to 1099.00.

They were preparing to make another 200 sets in this batch I'm in on, and that's the last of them available for 2018. I was going to order them before my recent trip to Ak. but they couldn't promise me delivery before I left. So I decided to hold off, then when I got back, within a week they sent the email on the offer for discount and getting in on the last 200 made for this year. I jumped on the discount and offer.
    bobw and GB like this.
  3. GB

Oddometer:
    Installation couldn't be easier: Slide the 4 mounting brackets into the slots on the back of the Motobag's rack: (On this bike, I'm using SW Motech's EVO racks, it will also easily fit the GSA's stock racks.)

[​IMG]

Attach mounting brackets which are profiled to fit this rack and others: Unless you have a helper to hold the bag while you mount it to the rack, it's easier to remove the rack and attach the bag to it. These SW Motech racks attach to the bike with 1/4 turn fasteners, so quick on / quick off. I'm going to be keeping them on the bike. There when I need them, retracted when I don't.

[​IMG]

This is the profile of the mounting brackets designed to fit a multitude of racks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motobags retracted: There when you need them, retracted when you don't.

[​IMG]

38L on the left and 46L on the right. They look huge in this pic, it's just the camera perspective being so close to the bike. These Motobags will eventually move to the GSA and Bumot's sold.

[​IMG]

Some of the advantages: Non bike specific, so future bike compatible, waterproof, highly impact resistant, less weight than aluminum cases. I only ever use my aluminum cases on long overnight trips. I don't like to ride around town with them on, and sometimes I get carried away with grocery shopping and wish I had my cases with me.

More info on Lone Rider's Motobags page:

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/motobags?variant=12219255750771
  4. Aztecking

Aztecking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GB, thanks for the write up. I have been contemplating these or the Giant Loop or the Mosko Moto but after this review these seem better than the others.
    AZQKR likes this.
  5. yangins

yangins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review. Will consider for future cases.
  6. GB

Oddometer:
    I was using GL panniers and was happy with them. But like moskomoto, you can't just put them on and take them off quickly, you need to route the straps etc.. MotoBags are the best of both types of panniers, they have the advantages of aluminum boxes and soft panniers without the disadvantages of both.

GL panniers, along the "loneliest road in America" hwy 50 in Nevada
    i-LbbXVRH-2230x1440.jpg
    dezertpilot and AZQKR like this.
  7. Aztecking

Aztecking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GB,
    The Mosco and GL offer a backing plate that makes it a quick detach affair. Did they not have that when you bought yours?

Jeff
    BuckNut likes this.
  8. GB

Oddometer:
    My GL panniers are the Siskiyou Panniers. When I got them there was no backing plate and I don't think they are compatible with one because of how they mount with a joining plate that attaches over the pillion seat. They served me well, but the Lone Rider are far superior.
    Aztecking likes this.
  9. yair1956

yair1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...very convincing & impressing, this is a "Wolf" in a ship skin, you actually got the advantage of both the hard Case & the soft case, I never seriously consider trading my OEM GSA Pannier for any soft case alternative, mainly, for the luck of space (45L & 38L) durability security & some other reasons ..... but with this Set ther is a good chance that I'll say bye bye to the OEM .... of course I wish they were cheaper, but hey, considering that you can ,actually, easly move them from Bike to Bike the $$$ investment make lot of sense here

Cheers

Yair
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  10. yair1956

yair1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

tnx for the review, you just brought me one step ahead on my purchasing decision .....

got quick question, I noticed that the you access the Molle System vertically, so what you do when you want your stuff to be mounted vertically (Like I have a Bear Spray canister which I would like to mount vertically ?????
  11. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Good question. I don't know yet. I don't have anything that attaches using the molle system yet.
    I've ordered the new drybag molle system from LoneRider that is supposed to arrive in November.
    I'll put up a post when they arrive.

12. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put yourself on the list for their new Lone Rider mini bags that attach to the moto bags like I have. They hold items vertically attached to the main bag/s
  13. zswickliffe

zswickliffe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neat stuff, would like to have an option for my Ducati Scrambler
  14. SCFoster

SCFoster It is what it is Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info. Was very far along with buying the Mosko bags but these tick a LOT more boxes. The semi-rigid design makes a huge difference with loading/unloading and looking for stuff without taking the inner bag out. The offset hardware (have Brooks Autosports pannier racks for the KTM 1290 SAS) is included. Mosko wants $100 for an adapter plate. The locking mechanism is a better design, is included and is visible to ward off the casual thief.
    Negative is the semi-permanent non-quick release install. Not a huge issue as they fold flat but will be looking for the promised quick-release system.
    Tend to change bikes like socks, so liking the ability to move to another model/brand.
    Got a 5% discount at checkout. Still expensive but hopefully you get what you pay for.
    AZQKR likes this.
  15. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Nov. order on the bags has been delayed until the end of this month. Got an email Nov 7th that the hypalon wasn't up to their standards and they were waiting on more material to make the custom orders. I appreciate their attention to detail and don't mine waiting 3 more weeks after months of waiting anyway. Get it right, send them when they are perfect is just fine and gives insight into the companies mentality to produce the best product they can.
  16. SCFoster

SCFoster It is what it is Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed; prefer it was right as opposed to fast.
    AZQKR likes this.
  17. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I have Mosko moto bags on my little bike and they are great and I like that you can remove them from the bike.
    So when I got the Lone Rider Moto Bags, I thought it might be a pain to have them on the bike all the time, even when not in use. Turns out between the quick release pannier racks (SW Motech) and these folding flat it really isn't that inconvenient at all.
    All of the internal support, drybag and lock mechanism can be stowed inside until you need them, which is actually handier - they are always on the bike when you need them - just fold them out, put in the stiffener and lock them up. It's a very slick system.

Attached Files:

AZQKR likes this.
  18. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still considering these. The price is killing me though. Tried to see if the $200 discount was still offered and no response to any of my emails. Has anyone compared the lone rider to these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-overlander-s-os-32-drypack

Seem to be very similar, thought I'm not sure about security and puncture resistance. Both Hypalon, both semi rigid, etc. Anyone riden with Kriega?
  19. GB

Oddometer:
    Email Andi, maybe he can help: [email protected]
    For me, these LoneRider panniers are the best of both worlds. They're designed to stay on the bike, retracted when not in use and quickly expanded when needed, and everything is included: mounting rack, locks, cleverly designed inner liners that can be used off the bike as backpacks.
    AZQKR likes this.
  20. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    The link has him saying after buying the racks and bags, the total price was around $1100.00. I got the LR racks and bags for 1050.00 delivered. I don't see much savings over LR's here in that link
    JamesFromNJ likes this.