Lone Rider Motobags

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Aztecking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Black Friday 20% off store wide, including panniers. Discount code BLACKFRIDAY

Here's your chance which is better than $200 off.
    AZQKR likes this.
  2. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I pulled the trigger with the Black Friday sale (20% off ~ thanks LR!). Not very price-competitive (but I bought them so what do I know?), but great design, and a big plus that they make racks for individual bike models. I'm hoping they will live up to the hype!
  3. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really tempted by these, but my primary use is still probably touring from city to city, and I'm still hesitant re: security. Aside from overnight parking considerations (I could always take my stuff with me), I need a set of bags I can feel comfortable walking away from for a couple of hours while stuff is locked in the bags and know it'll still be there. In an ideal world I'd have soft bags for off-road and hard bags for touring, but if I can only own one set of bags, will these do the trick?

Also, I love the idea of having them collapsed by always ready to go if I happen to make a grocery run on my commute, etc. Does anyone who owns these bags have any experience with them in the rain while collapsed? It looks like the top is open when collapsed, not rolled-up, so wouldn't these just become rain buckets if the bike was sitting outside for an hour or two?
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  4. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am probably going to add an aluminum top case for security for items I don't want to carry with me. Think that might be a good combo.
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  5. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on where you travel.
    If you're unpacking from the day just take out the drybags on the inside.
    If you're really concerned and you have a removable rack (like SW Motech) just take the whole rack and bags inside.
    I don't want to jinx myself but I've never had bags or anything stolen except a license plate. So generally, I'm not really that concerned. I also never leave anything of value on the bike.
    The collapsible nature of the bags is a real strong point - out of the way when you don't need them. I commute occasionally on my bigger bike and it's great to just pop them open insert the pieces (that are already nested inside) and load up on groceries or whatever. I've sprayed my bike with a power washer when they are folded/collapsed and as long as you seal/fold the internal bag you're not going to get water inside (drain holes in the bottom if you do). Once the dry bag and outer bag are folded I've not had any water inside - pressure washer or rain.
    After buying these I sold my Kappa hard bags and won't be buying hard luggage again.

6. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath Old 'nuff to know better...

Oddometer:
    Yes the lockable is good and the collapsed idea is great. But I’m a bit raked at the price for two bags in the end, even with a discount...
  7. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I think they are marketing them as a premium product and with a premium price. Maybe as production increases or demand increases they'll get cheaper. It certainly is a big investment.
    I guess I look at it as something that I could move to another bike and I'd likely get another larger bike, so these could be moved later on. My investment early on as an early adopter at $750 CDN is certainly looking good now in retrospect. :)

8. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 bags/racks delivered for 1050.00. Other premium bags are 350-450 a piece, racks can cost 250.00. I'm quite happy with the choice of these bags and racks for that price. The quality of the hypalon at resisting abrasion, punctures, fully water tight like any other premium soft bags, the ability to collapse them and still be waterproof inside while still carrying some tools, small items etc. There's versatility in these bags.

Though I really liked the mosko moto's, the price savings with racks [ needed racks as I have vario's now ] wasn't enough to sway me from the LR product based on a lot of reviews of both and it just coming down to being able to collapse them all else being equal.
  9. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tend to travel throughout the New England area, and then down the east coast, plus some northern Ontario to boot. Generally I'll do motels/hotels every night, although I'm hoping to get into some light off-roading and camping this coming summer. Just taking the internal drybag into the hotel with me every night sounds like a reasonable option - they basically act as internal liner bags anyway, it seems. Heck, I used to take both my Givi V35 hard cases into rooms with me every night!

I've never been overly concerned about bags being stolen either. When the bags are empty, would they be fairly easy for a thief to remove from a bike? Is there a way to retrofit some kind of locking mechanism to the bag + rack?

I didn't know the outer bags have holes in the bottom to drain, good to know. How big are the holes? If you put stuff in the bags without the interior bag, is there a risk of small stuff/cables etc falling through them?
  10. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you put stuff in the bags without the interior bag, is there a risk of small stuff/cables etc falling through them?

Why would you want to do that to begin with? Use them as designed.
  11. hajduk

hajduk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't hardly wait to get mine. I order them in August, but the production date is being pushed all the time for esthetic quality. I just hope that they live up to the hype, for I plan to use them hard.
  12. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got an email into Anna presently on expected delivery [ supposed to be Nov, but it's been pushed back due to their waiting on properly made hypalon.

There's some members who feel they are over priced, but everything I've seen in quality soft bags and racks has been nearly the same as the LR's I chose to spend my money on.
    hajduk and superfunkomatic like this.
  13. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Convenience, really. The big selling point for me is they're conveniently always there, I could open them and toss stuff in mid-commute etc. Using the inner bag isn't a deal breaker, but just one more thing to do, less convenient, etc.
    AZQKR likes this.
  14. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of another 30 seconds to open the inner bag? I won't consider that any inconvenience, especially having had hard bags that with the push of a button open where I now have more work to get into the bag already over the hard bags. :D
    OMGitsmike likes this.
  15. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    The bags are fixed to your rack. So if you have a fixed rack then, no. They wouldn't be able to take the bags, at least without undoing the hardware - pretty unlikely.
    Mine are SW Motech quick release so I have a lock on the racks then they aren't taking anything.
    You can use the bags without the internal dry bags and just the stiffener - no problem. The holes are just small breather/weeping holes to let out condensation or water if anything got inside. You would definitely not lose anything unless your transporting your ball bearing collection. :rofl
    To be honest, at 3" deep with everything inside it's just easier to leave everything in there. Open up a dry bag, drop in your stuff, then seal everything up and you're good to go. Really easy.

OMGitsmike and AZQKR like this.
  16. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol ball bearing collection
    Thanks for the responses guys, gives me a much better idea how I'd use them.

Question about racks - my GS came with the Vario's so it doesn't have any luggage rack. Would you just get the LR rack for $289, or get something like the Globescout rack at $399 for compatibility with hard bags I might buy in the future?
  17. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the LR bags. Actually, with the discount on the bags, I basically got the racks for free.
  18. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    I can't say for sure. I've never seen the LR racks. They'll pretty much work with any type of luggage rack and they ship with a bracket to offset the exhaust on a BMW. SW Motech racks were about $350 here in Canada when I bought them if I remember correctly.
    OMGitsmike likes this.
  19. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got an email from Anna, bags are starting to ship out tomorrow that were for Nov. delivery.
  20. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the SW Motech racks because they are quick release with a quarter turn racks. You permanently mount the LR bags to them, and then you can either keep them retracted or remove the racks with the bags attached.
    Don T, hajduk, Oeths and 2 others like this.