Lone Rider Motobags

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Aztecking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the minibags will follow.

I also bought into their Adventure Tent. It's twice the size of my current backpacking tent, same weight and the same size packed. So I thought I'd give it a go.

Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  2. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heard from Anna 5 days ago. December bags should be shipping very soon.
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  3. hajduk

hajduk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got mine few days ago, working on installation now. It's not too difficult, but I'm just doing it after work. they look great, and I think they will work for what I do.
    Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  4. hajduk

hajduk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I'm doing :)
    AZQKR and superfunkomatic like this.
  5. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    Obviously another product I've bought sight unseen. I've never really understood in the renderings how they actually attach to the Molle system on the back of the bags.
    I eagerly await mine. I'd love to see photos when y'all have your bags set up.

6. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Nice! it's coming out awesome. Let me know how all the kit works on our Vendor thread https://advrider.com/f/threads/lone-rider-motorcycle.1284575/

Or DM me. Will send out some update emails when news comes in. Cheers
    Dave Young likes this.
  7. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Will do! I just got a message from Anna that mine are on the way this week. Along with some funky red straps for the Motobags. ;)

Lone.Rider likes this.
  8. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the bike back, bags are installed. My mechanic really liked them. I find getting in and out of them not much effort. I'll use the top box around town and take it off for the dirt though.

Bike's 42.5" wide with the 38L and 45L bags. Bars are 36.5 wide for reference
    Lone.Rider, Oeths and superfunkomatic like this.
  9. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update on the LR bags pictured here.

I had a get off on a rock ledge section last Sunday riding with 7 others as the road turned from dirt to a hairpin turn onto the ledge that went 25 degrees vertical. My mistake, thought I was in 1st, but was in 2nd, and the bike stalled and down it went. No at any real speed mind you, but the lava rock is extremely sharp. To give one an idea how sharp the rock can be, while on SAR operations in the mountains, if you break your fall with your hand/s, you're opened up pretty good without gloves on.

Didn't have time to dwell on any damage to the left bag, the side I went down on then, and got home after dark so just parked it in the garage that night. Next morning, power wash time as the bike was covered in dried mud/dirt from the water crossing.

Pretty damned happy to report not a mark on the left LR 38L bag. That in comparison to the lower crash bar which got scraped pretty good and had to be touched up with some paint so the damaged area doesn't rust in the future. 5/8" HB steel tubing scraped/damaged, LR hypalon bag unscathed.

Thank you Lone Rider, I'm very happy with my choice of your bags.

Attached Files:

10. Dwit

Dwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really want to pull the trigger on a set of these. There is one thing holding me back. How much of a hassle is getting the drybag in and out when it’s full? A friend had some soft luggage that was similar in concept (bolted on the bike with removable drybag) and it was a real hassle. Just getting the Velcro free was annoying. After riding all day everything was compacted and hard to remove and when repack in the morning it was like pushing a square peg in a round hole.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  11. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Hassle = zero.
    The tops of the bags are tapered to allow a full drybag to slide in and out like... Nevermind.
    An overfilled bag might be an issue but a full to the brim bag is no problem at all.

Lone.Rider likes this.
  12. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    OK, the goodies arrived! Once they escaped China, they traveled quickly! Everything looks like very good quality and look like the photos above, so I won't post photos unless someone wants something new and specific. Haven't installed yet, so will report back on whether all the pieces and parts were included. I ordered the 38l MotoBags, one smaller MiniBag, and the custom racks for my 2012 G650GS. Christmas!!
    Lone.Rider and superfunkomatic like this.
  13. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
  14. BuckNut

BuckNut Bike lovin' Buckeye.

Oddometer:
    I’ve read everyone’s comments on these bags, and researched them for a while. I agree with most of you; these appear to be a really great product. I actually went with the Mosko BC 35’s though, for a few reasons:
    1. The ease of removing the bags from the racks. The quick real ease system on the Mosko 35’s is the best I’ve seen. No straps, snaps or bolts; just turn the latch, lift and it’s off.
    2. Price. Although not cheap, the Mosko are substantially less pricey
    3. Construction quality. Second to none. Made from hypalon also. Lone Riders look to be at least as good here.
    4. Customer service. Mosko’s is excellent. Sounds like LR also ticks this box.
    5. Variety of accessories. Mosko appears to carry more accessories directly related to adv luggage needs.
    All in all, I like what I see in the LR products, and do like the semi-rigid design of these bags. For now, I love my Moskos, but I’m really glad to see another company out there providing high quality gear too.
    Cheers! Hope to see you all riding!

Attached Files:

AZQKR and superfunkomatic like this.
  15. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Has anyone mounted the LR custom racks on a later model g650gs? I'm having difficulty getting the left side rack to fit over the pillion foot pegs. Photos would be great!
  16. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my LR bags on the bike. 38/45 liter set up. Talked with LR rep who said the bags were tested with up to 60#'s in each but they recommend staying at 30#'s per. That frees up 8 extra #'s of gear per bag over the Varios that were rated for 22#'s each.

Had a get off on a rock ledge 3 days before X-mas, left side. Bag took a few scuff marks, no damage. Right bag you can see what a palo verde thorn does when it's dragged across the Hypalon. No damage, just a mark on the bag.

Here she is with the bags mounted. 20190112_122940.jpg 20190112_122921.jpg 20190112_122921.jpg 20190112_122810.jpg
  17. RP-49

RP-49 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Indeed, and the lock system is pretty damn clever !

Cost ?
  18. AZQKR

AZQKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    racks and bags were 1K delivered. They had a 200.00 off sale and that basically gave me the racks for free.

My standard gear weighs 12#'s in each that's always on the bike. Means I can load another 18#'s in each. The nice thing about that? There's plenty of room for that much more gear where the Varios packed for the Ak. trip last summer held 17#'s each and were stuffed full even though they are rated for 22#'s.

:D
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Still full-on winter here. So, I had a chance to switch the black straps on the Motobags to the fancy new red ones. Looks pretty spiffy.

The only thing I've never been quite able to figure out is how to keep the straps from blowing in the wind when the bags are compressed/collapsed.

@Lone.Rider Any chance someone at Lone Rider can confirm exactly how the strap-keepers are supposed to work when the bags are collapsed?

Love these bags. I'm counting the weeks until spring to put them back into use again. :)
    Lone_rider_motobags_red_straps.jpg
  20. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never had good luck with those types of strap keepers. I have a cartop soft carrier that used the exact same ones. The straps flap a lot with those. This is what I've put on all my bags to keep the excess strap from flapping/shredding:

1.5" elastic keeper - http://tinyurl.com/elastic-keeper

I can't take credit for coming up with this. Wolfman bags puts them on their bags and I said "aha" and ordered a bunch in the sizes of my other bags' straps. You can roll the excess and tuck it under the elastic band. Works exactly as needed/expected.

less than $1 a piece. I linked to the 1.5"w ones as I think that's what's on your bags but verify size and order appropriately. To my knowledge they are only black which will offer a nice contrast to your new Spiffy Red straps ;-)
    AZQKR and OMGitsmike like this.