Lone Rider Motobags

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Aztecking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the stiffener, I carry 15-17# of kit in each every day, they'd sag without it, let alone adding more kit for trips.
  2. Eric_Dutch

Eric_Dutch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have ordered the 45L and 38L and Anna has promised that they are delivered befor June 7, then I start to the trip from the Netherlands to Istanbul.
    Fingers crossed
    AZQKR likes this.
  3. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best to you on your trip
  4. Eric_Dutch

Eric_Dutch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we are going to enjoy it, with the bags i hope :-)
  5. OMGitsmike

OMGitsmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the stiffeners too but my garage is about 8’ wide, so parking the bike with the bags fully expanded all the time isn’t an option unfortunately. Otherwise I would leave them in all the time!

Curious what the quick release adaptor Lone Rider is working will look like.
    bozmotodual16, Menoche and AZQKR like this.
  6. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too, if it's simple enough to convert, I'll be one of the first to acquire the new release system. Already have my name in with them to contact me.
  7. Eric_Dutch

Eric_Dutch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anna just confirmed that the bags will be delivered in week 23, perfect service :wings
    And they do what they promise you! :ricky
    Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  8. Eric_Dutch

Eric_Dutch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As promised the bags where delivered on time.
    What a great bags with top material constructed.
    Now already on the road for a couple of days and I enjoy the space in the bags each day, couple of other BMW GS riders from Germany where very interested in the Lone Rider bags.
    All save driving and regards from out Kroatië on the way to Greece
  9. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    These bags are top quality and really well designed. I just traded my bike and ended up with another set of panniers. So have a set of 38L LR packets for sale, new.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  10. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are folks with f800gs doing for these bags? Smaller on exhaust side or same size both sides?
  11. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    To look symmetrical from behind, yes
    I went with 45/38 liter bags on the 1200GS.
  12. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the 45L bag no longer for sale? I don’t see it in the options.
    AZQKR likes this.
  13. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe I read that the 45L was discontinued.
    Ocho NA likes this.
  14. Eric_Dutch

Eric_Dutch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was already happy with the bags but after this weekend for me they are really the best you can get.:wings
    We where traveling on the bike in Germany and stopt at a intersection, my friend was driving behind me and thought i was driving on.
    I stopt because a car was coming from the left, my friend hit me with his panniers (BMW K1600 GT) in my Lone rider bag.
    The impact was that big that the metal plate of the Lone rider bags (4mm steel) was perpendicular to my frame :(
    All impact was absorved by the bag and steel plate, if i had the metal panniers on it we were both ended on the ground. :muutt
    I have used a craw bar to bend it a shape so we can move on.
    This is a picture of the damage it has done after straiting it.

2.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-21 173028.jpg
  15. BadPanda

BadPanda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone devised a quick disconnect option for the MotoBags that does not require a "semi" permanent mounting to the racks? I have a set that I want to put on my GSA, but I really want to have the option to "quickly" swap them out for my Bumots when I feel a need for greater security. The mounting option from the factory just does not make for an easy removal and reinstall, and the quick disconnect that Lone Rider is currently developing will not help, as the connection plate still needs to be mounted permanently.
  16. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Soon! just made a video today on the status of the quick release. Will post to Youtube the next days.
    JamesFromNJ likes this.
  17. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Looks quite messed up. Glad you are alright. Get in contact with Anna, we have spares of these 4mm plates
  18. BadPanda

BadPanda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at your design for the quick release, but I am not sure that will fit my needs. Have you changed the design so the mounting plate can be easily removed from the racks? Last I saw, it looked like we would still need to turn a wrench to remove the new quick release plate from the bike. Only the bags themselves will be easily removable? My issue is I want to be able to decide on a whim which panniers to use for a specific trip. I would likely be changing them a couple times a week.

I have had my MotoBags for over a year, sitting in the boxes they came in, because I need to use my Bumots for security and ease of access. I do not want to have to fiddle with nuts and bolts each time I go to swap them out.

What I would like to see is some mounting hardware that can be installed on the existing plate that allows for a simple drop in install with two “hooks” at the bottom and a latch at the top to secure the bags to the racks. Essentially a kind of copy of the mounts on my Bumots. They can be installed in about 2-3 seconds each side. And they also have a keyed lock to prevent any theft.
  19. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Understood. The backplate will be attached to the rack and will have to be removed to put other bags on. If we went for a Bumots kinda system we would have issues fitting different rack sizes. We need to make a design that can fit on many different racks and bikes, that's the issue.

It would be nice though, adding the BMW wedge system and the locking system so they can come off the GS easily. I will look into this now.
  20. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I am working on something. Will be getting samples soon, that will fit the BMW rack, with BMW locks, so you can use the same key to open the seat, and start the bike.
    Eric_Dutch and BadPanda like this.