Lone Rider Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Lone.Rider, Feb 24, 2018.

1. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine are on an f800gs so slightly different. Still have knobs.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  2. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Florian, I think option 1 could work on this rack. What is "Givi “Neutral” basis rack" I have not heard about this? A google gave me nothing.

Is this part flush with the rest of the rack?
    upload_2020-1-4_10-54-49.png
  3. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Ok, its hard to see on the website how they fit the bike. If you have an image of them fitted to the bike I could maybe work it out. depending on how thick the kobs are, option B may work better.

Attached Files:

bozmotodual16 likes this.
  4. floalex

floalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:

https://www.givi.co.uk/news/PL-ONE-FIT-system-en

It’s not sitting flush. It’s more an oval shape, not round like the rest of the tube. So a holder for a 18mm tube doesn’t go around it (I’m currently using the Giant Loop mounts, had to adjust them from middle position to left or right).
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  5. PDXRider70

PDXRider70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Option 2 looks more "thought out and robust" BUT that said, if you have the lock in the center (option 1) is it more likely to stay secure under the repeated beating ADV bikes get now and then? I would almost vote for the upper bracketing (lock) from option 1, and the lower mounting points from option 2. The lower mounting bracket in option 1 look like an afterthought to me. However, I have a feeling the S-bend hooks would be less expensive to produce.

In a case such as the BWM GS 1250 GSA, and the like, with one side needing space for the exhaust how would that be handled?

As an aside, anxious for a final solution and will likely be close to the first of the list to get them!
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  6. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the S-bend hooks could be cheaper to produce. Those aluminum pucks are pricey to make. Wouldnt need to make an extrusion tool for the form, just a tool to stamp out the form and maybe a tool for the S jog.

For the offset on the GS we will make an offset kit. Check it out, the funny looking shape is a 3D scan of the GS, I just model around it.

upload_2020-1-4_15-47-50.png upload_2020-1-4_15-48-28.png upload_2020-1-4_15-48-9.png

Attached Files:

PDXRider70 likes this.
  7. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    We got a lot of feedback, 173 people commented about the designs. So we listened, here are some new solutions based of the feedback from riders...

upload_2020-1-7_19-4-59.png

Most people liked the hook system, it can fit on most racks and adjusted to work on different pipe thicknesses. Achieved - Made the hook system

People wanted the system to clip and "lock" in place automaticly. Achieved - There is now a spring-loaded hook that opens when placed on the rack but don't open when pulled up.

People didn't want to use a key to lock the lock, only unlock. Achieved - with a push barrel lock. All you need to do to lock is push the lock.

When dirt gets into the lock it is impossible to get the lock to open. We made the lock on the side not on the top.

There was concern about the weight on the lock, the potential for the lock to bear the main weight with a fall has been removed with a clip system.

People didn't want the system to rattle around. Achieved - with black plastic inserts that have a small feature that stops small movement in the hook.

And many many other small issues.

What do you think of the design? Would it work on your racks? See any issues?

upload_2020-1-7_19-16-12.png upload_2020-1-7_19-16-33.png upload_2020-1-7_19-16-22.png upload_2020-1-7_19-16-59.png upload_2020-1-7_19-17-8.png upload_2020-1-7_19-20-29.png upload_2020-1-7_19-17-20.png upload_2020-1-7_19-16-44.png

Attached Files:

cjmadura, AZQKR and PDXRider70 like this.
  8. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andrew, the lower hooks, what's the distance from the outer tube of the rack to the outer flat of the clip? On my muffle side I have very little room [ measured at 8/32, maybe 9/32" before the outside of the hook touches the muffler. It's only that one hook that's very close that I'd have to worry about.

Question on the lock itself. If the lock fails to unlock for some reason, what would be the procedure to remedy on the road, if any?

Thanks, I like this design A LOT. Approximate cost?
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  9. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Looks like a slick design. Looks robust and functional.
    For those that want a removable system this looks like a really good fit.
    AZQKR and Lone.Rider like this.
  10. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey,

From the outside of the pipe to the outside of the hook 13.38mm or 0.526 inch.
    Of the TT toolbox?

Price, not sure yet, I need to finish designing these and get quotes, but for people that have already purchased the Motobags I will work the price down.

If the lock fails, a smashing it out and replacing it would be an option. Or using a locksmith. I will design in a method to replace the lock or rekey the lock.

- Andrew

upload_2020-1-8_9-27-38.png
    AZQKR likes this.
  11. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may need to shave some off that one lower hook to make it fit and not touch the muffler. The other question I had was, from the drawings, looks like the lock is at the top of the backing plate. Presently, the backing plate sits just over 2" higher than the top portion of the racks. If the lock design lowers the backing plate by a few inches, on hard riding twisties my bags may drag [ I had someone watch during an aggressive ride one day, my bags are coming 2" from the pavement ].

Does the lock have to be where you designed it or can it be moved lower to keep the backing plate at the same height in relation to the ground?

Thanks for you response sir. I'm an owner of your motobags, so the reduced price for us present owners sounds great to me.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  12. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Hey! Yep I see what you mean. One of the hardest things to do on this design project is making it adaptable to the hundreds of different rack on the market. I think you have a bmw 1200 from memory?

But yes, you can move the hooks and the lock up and down for more clearance. I will do my best to make the design adaptable as possible and for sure will test on a lot of bikes. Cheers!

- Andrew
    AZQKR likes this.
  13. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    2012 R1200GS, thanks for the response.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  14. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Tubular racks only? SW Motech as well? Just curious. I'm perfectly happy to take the entire pannier rack off with the bags as I do currently.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  15. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Tube only! they are the most common racks. - Andrew
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  16. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Clip'nRide update. Skip to 10:36 for the 3D printed model in action. I go through all the parts and functions of the system. If you see something that could be an issue, please let me know in the comments! Cheers Andrew

superfunkomatic likes this.
  17. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-2-5_9-52-28.png upload_2020-2-5_9-53-29.png upload_2020-2-5_9-53-45.png
    PDXRider70 likes this.
  18. superfunkomatic

Oddometer:
    Any updates on the duffle? I saw a post on Instagram today with Kinga (onherbike) showing it.
    My Mosko Moto 40 litre is too big for my CRF250L. I'd be curious to know more about the rectangular solid shape and sizes.
  19. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:

View attachment 2072592 View attachment 2072594 View attachment 2072593 View attachment 2072597 View attachment 2072599 View attachment 2072607 View attachment 2072600 View attachment 2072596

This system looks like a real winner!!!

I've abused my Bumot hard cases enough that it's time to rethink my luggage. My buddy was an early adopter of your bags (he bought that HUGE 45L!) and while I really like the bags, having them hard-mounted to my 2016 GSA was a non-starter - even if the folded in. This system allows for the quick interchange of hard cases with your bags. However, I don't think hard cases would be necessary as your bags are very suitable for ALL types of riding.

Please let me know (indeed, all of us) as soon as the new design is ready.

I've been holding off on buying a set of soft bags for 6 months now as no system have checked all of my wants/needs (Xtremada, Kreiga, Mosko Moto, Give, Giant Loop.......you get the idea) but with the QD system on your bags, I'm ready to buy. I hope the above design proves to be the one. It offers adjustability, stability and reeks of quality. I would rather make a slightly larger investment in the beginning and have a great robust set-up than pay a little less only to find the design lacking. That being said, is there and update to the design choice and if so, what would you estimate the ETA date to be???

Thanks, James.
  20. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great evolution of the system. I may have missed it in the thread but you said the removable function would be able to retrofit existing bags right?