Lone Rider Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Lone.Rider, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I have been developing a new ToolRoll design but would love your feedback and experience.

What are your must-have tools and things that you need in a tool roll? We are all different, but what features do you want and you can’t do without?

Maybe we can build it into the product before it goes into production and ships out. Check out the video and let me know what you think.

We have posted a video on Facebook, you can click here. Leave your comment on the post or hit that email reply button and I get back to each and every one of you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Facebook? Check out the YouTube video.

Or here

I have a few products in the works, will send them out over the new few days. Any ideas you have are welcome!

Best

Andrew
    AZQKR likes this.
  2. sorio

sorio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Lone.Rider Is it safe to use (i.e. store stuff in) the Moto bags w/o the rigid pads installed, e.g. when your bags are not full, and you want to reduce the width? Thanks!
  3. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Let me think... They are designed to have the PE plates in, I would say they would work ok if tightened but I need to test this first. What's the matter? Have you broken yours?
  4. sorio

sorio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, I am not (yet) a MotoBag owner, still evaluating products on the market and eagerly waiting for the quick-release version. I was just considering if the semi-rigid MotoBags can be used as a more traditional softbags w/o the PE plates, when not fully loaded. The use-case would be shorter trips, where you only utilize <50% of the bags' volume and want to reduce the width by making the bags narrower (w/ the tightening straps, but w/o the PE plates).
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  5. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    My LR bags are always 1/2 full with gear. 17#'s in each. I'd not think about not using the expander's in mine. YMMV
    sorio and Lone.Rider like this.
  6. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Ahh ok, so I have not personally tested this. I would for you but I'm stuck on the opposite side of the world from my bike. The quick-release is getting made now. Should be out soon enough! Will keep posting updates when there is movement in production. Cheers
    sorio and AZQKR like this.
  7. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Liter
    Volume of this bag in Liters? 20-25 would be perfect for me. Here's my bmw soft top case in 20, adjustable to 25L 20200328_113739.jpg
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  8. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I think I forgot to ask you in the emails. Its quick-release top bag right from BMW?
  9. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I think we will make a mother product for this size. Its on the cards.
    AZQKR likes this.
  10. sorio

sorio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is great, as long as you do not consider it inherently problematic then I'll assume this is a valid option.

As for future improvement: maybe you can consider adding a second set of PE pads with 50% width so you can keep the bag rigid both at full or half width. For shorter weekend trips I'd probably prefer to keep it half-width to reduce drag etc.

upload_2020-9-28_23-29-15.png

(Original picture is from ADV GB).

I am not an industrial designer so I am not sure what the limitations you are working with in relation to PE pads, but maybe this can be achieved in a single pad similarly how they do it with cutting boards:

[​IMG]
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  11. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes sir
  12. sorio

sorio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently visited my dealer and saw (first time) the LoneRider bag in the US. It seems these bags and the bike have seen some action over the years :). I felt it looks bigger on photos than on the bike (which was one of my concern, being too wide). Sadly the owner was not there so I could not inspect it, but it looks pretty great even after what I can only assume substantial amount of abuse.

IMG_4763(1).JPG
    Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  13. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    My LR bags have held up very well for two years
    Lone.Rider and sorio like this.
  14. sorio

sorio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Lone.Rider I just saw your latest video #7 - Adventure By Design - Pannier + Tail Bag. I just wanted to give you some feedback here, primarily from a rider's perspective who lives in a dense urban environment and primarily doing asphalt touring. Currently I am running with a top box - which is always on my bike (not by choice), no panniers (still waiting for the quick-release version of the Motobag - my current multi-day touring trips are miserable due to the lack of panniers). I use my bike for both daily errands and multi-day touring, so I have a use case for both only using top-box and top-box + panniers.

In any dense urban environment you have limited space and constant concern of security. Top box is reasonably secure, however it is very hard to store off the bike (thus it is always on mine).

The great strengths of the MotoBags from my point of view - even though it was not designed primarily for urban environment - that it incidentally also has most of the features that an urban rider might need:
    - secure: locks to the bike, bag itself is easily lockable - perfect to prevent opportunistic theft
    - collapsible both on and off the bike for easy storage and low-profile when not used (storage space is a premium in NYC)
    - semi-rigid
    - quickly removable (incredibly useful and important)
    - waterproof
    - expendable via MOLLE straps

What I think current (quick release version) MotoBags do not have:
    - a shoulder strap would be pretty nice for the MotoBags, but maybe it is already doable via the MOLLE straps.
    - on demand expendability: being able to use it maybe 50% of the width while it still remains rigid
    - quick access for gear (which is acceptable, it is understood to be a trade-off to remain waterproof)
    - some side strap solution to put stuff temporarily (similar to Mosko Backcountry)

As you put it, the MotoBags combine all the positive aspects of a soft bag and a hard case.

For the tail-bag I'd like to see exactly the same thing, a product that can replace my top-box (many of these features your design already has):
    - secure: locks to the bike, bag itself is lockable (reasonably quickly, w/o a separate strap)
    - quickly removable
    - semi-rigid, collapsible both on the bike and off the bike: maybe removable side wall, like MotoBags?
    - expendable: either the top part with zipper or the base with multiple versions of the removable side wall, this is always such a big advantage of any soft-bag solution
    - waterproof
    - cargo-net attachment points on the sides so you can strap your gear/helmet etc. on the top (maybe MOLLE straps strong enough for that?)
    - volume-wise large enough to replace my top-box (30L+)
    - when loaded, passengers can use it as a bit of back support
    - gear is reasonably quickly accessible
    - easy to clean both from inside and outside (maybe removable liner?)
    - shoulder-strap or ability to wear it as a backpack
    - dividers / internal mesh pockets on the sides and maybe on the top (especially if it is expendable on the top part)

As for the product design you presented, I only have a few comments:
    - reflective logo on the back: maybe it is better to have a replaceable reflective strip (like the back of the MotoBags) via MOLLE, so that if it the surface gets scratched or reflectivity decays over time you can easily replace it.
    - I like the idea of a mesh outer pocket where you can stuff some gear/garbage
    - maybe MOLLE straps on the top?
    - waterproof zipper: having a rim pretty much solves the problem, except maybe dirt etc would get collected in the area between the rim and the zipper. Wondering if a simple flap over the zipper would solve the issue as well, something similar to this except it would cover the entire circumference of the bag, so that it is naturally wants to stay close to the beg covering the zipper area.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  15. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Best color for a roll-top waterproof motorcycle bag? A / B / C / D ?

We are making waterproof roll-top bags and need your help to choose a color. Let me know what color is best for you in the comments below and we will make it.

A: Grey
    B: Fluro Yellow
    C: Camo Green/Grey
    D: Lone Rider Red

Why these colors? Want to see a little on how we develop? Watch the YouTube video or if you are into Facebook, check out this post

Cheers, Andrew

upload_2020-10-20_20-40-6.png

sorio likes this.
  16. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice info. I will go through it and see what we can add to the design. A lot of nuggets here! Get back to you on this. Awesome cheers.
    sorio likes this.
  17. sorio

sorio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From a subjective point of view I would love C - even on other products. I feel this camo green feels premium among all the grey/black bags, at the same time the color is not strong enough to clash with other items on the bike or with the bike (color wise) and make it look like an xmas tree (not everyone wants high-viz stuff everywhere).

From a more objective point of view I guess if you guys need to introduce a single color initially, you need to have one that is 1. acceptable for most people 2. unique enough so that it does not blend in with other similar product on the market (strictly talking about color here): from that point of view C sounds like the winner as well.

As for second color (for the future) I think my question would be: does LR plan to make LRRed as its signature color, part of the LR identity and introduce it to other products too? If so I think LRRed would make sense as it can be matched with other LR products and anyone will be able to see that it is LR bag from a million miles away. But for me that really a question of branding.

I do not want to widen the search domain, but I was wondering if you are able to add some additional design elements to it? Maybe having some vertical / horizontal strips would appease the high-viz crowd even with option C (as visibility is more about contrast than being full yellow-bird). Even though I understand that you prefer minimalist design, that philosophy is clearly reflected in the design of all the other products.

lr-top-roll.png
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  18. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks cool!

The opportunity are endless for sure. We can explore new designs like you have shown above. We will need to test the material/printing to make sure it can last a long long time. Thanks for the other post too. A lot of goog points, and a few that won't be possible (like making it 30L) But we could make another design for this.

The quick-release is in the works, the tooling is getting made now. Lets hope we ship soon!

You live in NYC, an awesome place. Loved it.

Thanks for your feedback, awesome. It really helps a lot!
    sorio likes this.
  19. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    These are still too expensive and always break. We are still looking/waiting for the tech to get better. Cheers
    sorio likes this.
  20. sorio

sorio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, love LoneRider's design process where you involve the target audience and have a kind of feedback based, transparent, iterative development.

Thanks for the update on the quick-release mounting system as well, eagerly waiting for it to become available! NYC is a lot of fun - though a bit less since COVID, but more time for riding at least :)
    Lone.Rider likes this.