Lone Rider Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Lone.Rider, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Coastalcop

Coastalcop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ADV Tent was just delivered by DHL , will give it a shakedown sometime this week and offer thoughts, then a more substantial review after my trip :)

Ran by the house, came back to work and set it up in our EOC just to get a feel for it in the 30 minutes I had.

Materials:
    Tent Good feel for materials, seem well constructed, seams are even and stress points appear to be well stitched with no defects noted in my admittedly cursory lookover.

Fly is a nice design well fitted with more than a couple options for rigging. (I ordered mine as "no map" so cant comment on that)

Poles are unique and fit well together and intuitively, one minor gripe (I gotta find something to pick) bungee tension is a little light but none of the poles separate once fitted together. This is just a personal preference as I like pole section to almost self assemble ;)

Storage bag is well built and slightly oversized with poles, LOTS of room without (more on that later) daisy chain and compression straps are well stitched . Roll top works well and latch is positive. Printing on bag (emergency) is clear.

Pole/stake bag is very well designed with padded ends and fits poles and stakes easily. Were I to add anything it would be tieoff loops or a daisy chain on this bag, as i carry poles separated from my tent to keep my overall bike height at the rear seat as low as possible.

Groundsheet is also well built and SOS printing clear

Ease of use:

Setup is just as easy as they show on the video. Staking in windy environments (or using your bike as a wind break ) would be advised on at lease two points just to hold it steady. I had no wind indoors, but the flexibility of the poles leads me to believe this. The poles will self center as you fit them to the tent body.

If you can put together a dome tent, you wont find any surprises here on assembly.

Takedown:

If you separate the pole kit from the bag you can easily fold the tent with the mesh portion inward and protected and "stuff" the tent into the storage bag. While the mesh looks pretty strong I still only wanted to apply gentle pressure to the tent.

I see this as a good pack up option in inclement weather so you arent rolling around with a tent on the ground, ie: pull the fly, pull the poles and pull the stakes while stuffing the tent.

The fly fits the same way.

With poles removed it is easy to compress the tent, fly, groundcloth, pocket, and misc in the bag into "about" the size of a packed "jungle bag" sleeping bag for those of you that are familiar with them. Or around 1/2 the volume of the provided bag if you compress the air out tightly.

Overall a very well made product. I will have to get more time to look at interior and do some size/ pack testing.

Pics to come.
    Lone.Rider, superfunkomatic and AZQKR like this.
  2. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arrived home on Tuesday, 19th, to find the Adv tent at my front door. Looking forward to another ride and camp trip using the new one. I hope most riders will post up their tent comments. It’s not my lightest tent at 6lbs total but that’s not a deal breaker for me. Packed size is OK for what you’re getting.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  3. chuckpryor

chuckpryor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got notice mine was delivered... and I'm not there for another week to open that bad boy up! :/ Neighbor picked it up and said said the "box looks good" . LOL
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  4. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hello, I am considering your Mototent V2 . What is the height of the sleeping quarters at the entrance from the "garage" side ? You claim the garage area is 6' 7" high but the inner tent is lower in height. I'm 6'5" and would ideally like to not have to slouch too much entering the sleeping quarters . Thanks
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  5. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Got my Adventure Tent today. Really impressed. Very well organized, good hardware, and super easy to set up (put it up in my living room as a test).
    Looks durable and the dimensions are what is stated on the website. I'm 6'1" and I'll have a bit of extra headroom and footroom at either end of the tent.
    Without the poles in the bag it is easy to fit back and stuff into the carry bag - no problem. I think I may use a backpacking compression sack to make it a bit smaller and maybe into separate pieces just so that there isn't such a monolithic part in the bottom of my pannier. That being said, It will fit easily in the bottom of my 45 litre Motobag and easily into the Mosko Moto Backcountry 40L that I have. I also appreciate that the poles, will fit into a pannier or the pole bag on the Backcountry.
    Now I just have to wait until the weather is warm enough to try it out on a camping trip. I'll provide a review when it's put into use.
    Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  6. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback! I made compression straps on the bag but lways open to suggestions on how to make it better!
    AZQKR likes this.
  7. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Understood. I'll get back you on this, I will ask Anna for the data. Cheers
  8. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to the photos

Andrew
  9. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

I'm travelling getting the next production of MotoBags sorted. Will get back to you shortly. Thanks! Andrew
  10. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got mine mounted. Fit and finish is excellent. Looking forward to quick release though. They are a bear to get on and off. Also the locking mechanism is difficult to work. The clearance is very tight and the two plates have to be perfectly flat before it will slide on. Nice solution for locking the bags though.

IMG_20190411_220411_862.jpg 20190411_184340.jpg
    Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  11. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Working on a quick release system as we speak. Will post updates here when I got something

Andrew
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  12. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Nice! Thanks for the photos. Looks like a 45L. What do you think of the 45L? To big? Ok? Perfect?
  13. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like my 45L coupled with the 38L on the muffler side, from behind they are symmetrical. Measure 42" width across the bike and look big because they are square, but my 1200GT's factory bags measure 41" across width wise and don't look that wide due to the shape of them. Both can hold 30#'s recommended by you folks, so volume for me on the 45L would be lighter items.

On an extended trip like last year to Ak., I'd have been able to rid the bike of one of the dry bags with all the clothes/ rain suit etc strapped to the back seat area if I had them at that time.

The one thing I would like to see different is the clips that hold the extra strap across the top more securely. Sometimes when I get off the bike, one or another has become dislodged due to speed/wind and is not secured. Easy enough to re-secure it, but there might be a better designed clip [ which I still like ].

Looking forward to the quick release set up, hopefully the backing plate doesn't have to be replaced, that would be a total PITA to have to remove the bag from the backing plate which comes as one unit..
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  14. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    So, I finally got it. The inner tent at the highest point is 5.8. I'm 6'1" and it's fine, but I can see why you ask at 6'5".

upload_2019-4-13_21-51-10.png
    AZQKR likes this.
  15. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    You have a GSA correct?

Noted: "The one thing I would like to see different is the clips that hold the extra strap across the top more securely. Sometimes when I get off the bike, one or another has become dislodged due to speed/wind and is not secured."

I will design it backward compatible: "Looking forward to the quick release set up, hopefully the backing plate doesn't have to be replaced"
    bozmotodual16 and AZQKR like this.
  16. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    No sir, 2012GS [ camhead ]. Backward compatible would be fantastic, hope it will be a simple system swap to your racks. My muffler is on the left side.

Really enjoying the bags, get a lot of compliments. Even my private mechanic who installed them for me thought they were the cats meow.
  17. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    "Clip'n Ride"

I will do the Clip'n Ride in stages, so make a few systems for different bikes and racks.

This way I get the best solution for all bikes and not a half-assed one fits all but none fit perfectly. That means product development is clean and quality stays high.

At the moment I am looking to test the quick release system below (These are mockups just to visualize the idea). Simple effective and proven for years built off existing usage. This is for the 1200/1250 GS LC all custom made parts

For the other bikes, I will look for the best solution possible on the market and make it better and custom make for specific bikes.

Feedback guys?

upload_2019-4-14_11-30-5.png upload_2019-4-14_11-38-39.png

Cheers

Andrew
    PDXRider70, bozmotodual16 and AZQKR like this.
  18. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    @AZQKR Had to urban dictionary "cat's meow" :D

Glad you are happy!
    bozmotodual16 and AZQKR like this.
  19. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    :beer
    Looking forward to final design and being able to order them for the 2012 GS
  20. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    So… we are finalizing this new limited edition MotoTent. We need to take a decision about the colors. Would be great to have your opinion!

What design do you like?

A: Gray?
    B: Green?
    C: Blue?

Gray

upload_2019-4-14_13-41-29.png

Green

upload_2019-4-14_13-41-47.png

Blue

upload_2019-4-14_13-42-6.png

I hear you asking “light gray tent?”.

Due to printing restrictions, we needed to make the tent a light gray color.

A few extra benefits come with a light outer shell. First, we can print any color and size and secondly light gray provides more light inside the tent. Another benefit is the tent is cooler in hotter climates. Win!

[​IMG]

So what color would you pick?

Just hit reply to this thread and let me know

A: Gray?

B: Green?

C: Blue?

Thanks a lot for following us in this adventure!

Andrew
    bozmotodual16 likes this.