Lone Rider Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Lone.Rider, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    We have been busy developing a new range of bags for adventure travel.

A quick-release system for the Motobags and this range have been top priority.

Question is...
    What luggage do you need the most? What would be the most practical or what do you really love about the gear you already use? Must have features?

These are the first drawings

Andrew

upload_2019-8-8_9-20-24.png
    upload_2019-8-8_9-20-34.png
    upload_2019-8-8_9-20-43.png
  2. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bottle holder that can hold a thermos that's 12" tall? Maybe that cord could be adjustable?

And of course the quick release system for the bags. I'll be a buyer when they are available for my bike/bags./
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  3. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    The bottle holder.

View attachment 1826589

Thanks quite a big bottle. Going for MSR fuel bottle sizes for now. Could make a adjustable one though
    AZQKR likes this.
  4. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    MOUNTING SYSTEM FOR MOTOBAGS

Best quick attach system for MotoBags? What is the best that you have used?

The BIG question is what is the best way? There are a few options...

BMW system, Easy and simple.
    Pros:

Simple
    Secure​
    Cons:
    Only for BMW panniers.
    Cant adapt these "wedges" to all racks.
    I cant weld-on or make a design that can fit and stay secure for all the different racks.​

upload_2019-8-12_17-37-33.png

Round wedges:

Pros:
    Simple and easy to manufacture​
    Cons:
    Can't adjust to different rack sizes
    Must open the pannier to release from the rack​

upload_2019-8-12_17-32-31.png upload_2019-8-12_17-33-17.png

Wedge System.

There are other examples but the one in the image below is made by the team over at Mosko, like the BMW system in mechanics but super-sized and fits all racks to the best of my knowledge.

Pros:
    Uses gravity to self-lock
    Simple in design without many moving parts
    Can adapt to many frames
    Self-locating, no need to blindly locate attachment hooks, etc​

Cons:
    Reports of being heavy
    Expensive tooling is required presumably​

I really like the simplicity of the design, the art of design is to make it as simple and fulfill all the required functions. Would love to know peoples experiences with it and if it could be improved on? Please let me know below.

upload_2019-8-12_17-47-13.png

Pin System

The pin system has been around for some time.

Pros:
    Intuitive and simple to use
    Easy to manufacture​
    Cons:
    Not as strong as some of the other options​

I feel I would destroy these in a few weeks with some falls. They would bend easily. Not a fan, what do you think?

upload_2019-8-12_17-52-53.png

Hooking System?

In the image below you have the set from Givi. Somehow a hybrid between the wedge system above and the classic hook system.
    The design seams overkill to me, I have had hands-on with these and they do fit snug, but never tested them over a hard enduro ride.

I like the locking system, simple and quick.

upload_2019-8-12_17-56-59.png

Hook and lock system

New this year from Touratech, they have gone down a path so you must buy the racks they make too. As far as I am aware you can only use the TT racks with this system.
    Looks like a good system, light and you could dismount them fast.

A lot of mechanics for my liking, many moving parts that could seize up with a day in the mud?

upload_2019-8-12_18-1-58.png upload_2019-8-12_18-4-49.png

Seriously don't need to reinvent the wheel here, just make safest easiest user experience possible.

What is the best direction in your point of view/experience?

Andrew

Attached Files:

Ocho NA likes this.
  5. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    The simplest yet sturdiest attachment points that is quickly converted so LR owners can get the updated rack system in play without having a mechanic have to install it would be my preference.

Something adjustable for other than msr bottle holders would be nice. I prefer to carry two thermos' of water [ 48 ounces ] and one on each bag would be nice instead of using my bmw soft top case.

Okay, I just measured my thermos water bottles against the msr dimensions. My bottles are 1/8" smaller in diameter so they'll fit, and the height isn't any taller overall so that would also work, I'd take two of them when available. Nice to have the option of taking one water bottle and one msr fuel bottle at times when the extra petrol may be needed.

thanks for offering great products to compliment my LR bags.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  6. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Gotcha. I think there is room to make a few designs here. Single and double designs.
    AZQKR likes this.
  7. awalker14

awalker14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m using three Go Time Gear Exo Tek H2O ballistic molle water bottle holders on my Moto Bags mounted on my BMW R1250 GSA with great results. I carry two 40 oz stainless double walled thermos bottles and one MSR fuel bottle. They’re mounted on the front and back of the Moto Bags with the supplied molle straps. Find them on Amazon for about $15@.

I’m also really looking forward to a well designed quick connect/disconnect locking mechanism to add to my Moto Bags. Just completed a 6k mile trip where taking the bags off and on easily would have been a really nice feature.
    Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  8. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the Givi bags on my second bike and their quick release system is good, bags feel solid and I feel confident in their security. The only thing I need to do to remove or install them is push them in since the plate can bend a little.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  9. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a picture of what that looks like on the LR bags?

thanks
  10. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

I was thinking to make something with a zip, but I worry if the teeth on the zipper are not big enough dirt will kill the zip and its not waterproof anyway, Went for an open design. This is the prototype. Will change the Ghook to a locking buckle, after 3 days of offroading the Ghook had some slippage. Probably remove the MOLLE on the front too.

What is in your thermos bottles? Food/Drink?

If for food, then it would be better to cover the whole bottle, then you don't consume road grime.

Andrew

upload_2019-8-14_9-25-30.png
    AZQKR likes this.
  11. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Does the plastic plate bend?

upload_2019-8-14_9-31-5.png
  12. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    water, but I have msr fuel bottles as well.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  13. awalker14

awalker14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3FF6F650-E1FB-4CF4-92DE-A6E2D0490DCF.jpeg
    Pic of the Go Time Gear Exo Tek bottle holders mounted to the front and back of the Moto Bags. They move around some as the Molle strap doesn’t hold them totally tight but it’s never come loose. The stainless double walled bottles keep ice for two days and the rear one holds an MSR bottle for fuel.
    Lone.Rider and AZQKR like this.
  14. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    Bottle holder would be great. I use the plastic one litre bottles for water on every trip and have been using carbiners to connect them to molle points.
    A bottle holder that is elasticated that would allow an MSR sized bottle to a larger nalgene one would be perfect. It doesn't have to be waterproof because it's a container.

A tank bag big enough for a DSLR camera would also be awesome. I've never found a tank bag that wouldn't be in the way while riding. I like to carry a camera but use it less when I have to faff around unpacking it from other bags.

You're ideas for the duffles look interesting. I really like the double-ended Backcountry that I have from Mosko Moto. Much more than the top-load type. It took some getting used to packing but is way more convenient if you're organized and keep necessities or daily-use items on the outsides of the bag.

The minibags have been awesome. I use them for chain lube, bug spray, Plexus, extra tubes, my extra goretex layer in the rain and a set of weatherproof gloves. Having all those items handy makes long-distance travel a lot easier.

It'd be cool to have a bag that fits under the panniers that is long (same length as bags) but only about 2" deep for tools or things like a hatchet and camping supplies. Simple molle attachment like the molle sticks to hold it in place. It would super handy space and not be in the way of ground clearance.

I have the Mosko Moto 25L bags on my little bike. It is handy to be able to remove them but with the LoneRider bags I've never really worried about removing them since they are fixed. It hasn't been an issue at all. I have SW Motech racks, so when storing my bike I just remove the whole set of bags and racks. On the road, I actually like the fixed attachment since they are hard to remove and steal and use locks on the racks to deter would-be thieves.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  15. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It could possibly be user error by tightening the plate too much.

You can see some mild curvature.

1.jpg

This is the bag mounted but not locked. There's a gap between the bag and the plate.

2.jpg

Lock won't engage.

2019-08-14 11.12.01.jpg

I need to push in the bag (or pull in the plate) to lock the bag. On the upside, this makes the bag more secure lol.
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  16. PDXRider70

PDXRider70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not in my experience but I know that if there was a BMW specific mounting option I would buy it in a heartbeat. That said would it be possible to make mounting systems for the more popular options (like KTM, BMW, etc.) and still have the highly adjustable system to catch the rest of the market?
    Lone.Rider likes this.
  17. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Thanks for the feedback, great ideas!

" A tank bag big enough for a DSLR camera would also be awesome" Will make a add on for this.

" minibags have been awesome" they will be getting an upgrade soon!

" You're ideas for the duffles look interesting" on the second round of development samples now. Almost finished! they are coming a long really well and will test them the coming months for next season. I will make the double-ended system at a later date, its on the list.
  18. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Its going to be hard to make a silver bullet here, but I will sure try to nail it. One thing for sure, I will make it fit the 1200GS like a glove and be super easy to use.
  19. Lone.Rider

Lone.Rider Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Ahh I see.

Could be a number of things.

I would say loosen all the rack bolts (GIVI to RACK), or all the bolts you can and as you do when changing a tire tighten them all once the bolts are aligned.

Looks like the nylon plates are under pressure. If resetting the bolts doesn't work, and depending on how much meat is on the rack plate, maybe file off the edge, or bend the lock metal to make it fit better, but this could destroy the system and void the warranty.

Will keep this in mind when designing this element. Cheers

Andrew