LoneStar's Adventure to Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Aug 29, 2019.

1. RidewithAB

RidewithAB Just Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I aspire to be able to capture a RR like you do. Awesome job and so timely. I am planning a far NFL trip for next summer. I'm surprised by how cold it is up there, so that is lesson #1 for me.

Is there anyway you can download and share your GPS tracks? you seemed to have found all the cool places to visit.
    Cheers...AB
    LoneStar and MizzouRider like this.
  2. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hola AB! Thanks and I imagine you'll really enjoy the trip. If you arrive any earlier than September I suspect the temps won't dip into the 40's but I'm sure the weather climate changes and swings all directions on a daily basis. I don't particularly mind 40's-50's for riding, just 60's and sunshine would be perfect :-)

Happy to share the tracks when I get a chance, though my route wasn't anything particularly special and I know I missed a ton of great things. The local Newfoundlanders are probably chuckling at my route and all the things I didn't see :lol3. Trying to stay focused on getting there while traveling through such great places is a challenge - I could stay in Maine or Virginia or Nova Scotia or almost anywhere and see so much.

Beating it back to my meeting in New Mexico is bumming me out cuz I have to blast past so much on the way. I may swing over to Niagara Falls since I'll be passing within a half day of it and never seen it...
  3. TownPump

TownPump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Niagara Falls can be a great experience.

Don't bother with the border crossing to the Canadian side, the park on the American side is very nice and it has many vantage points that get you right next to the power of the Falls. Just wear your walking shoes/safety cones, there is a lot of walking that can be done, or take the trolleys.

I have done all of the activities to do there and rank the top 3 as follows:

1. Cave of the Winds (walk right up to the base and essentially in the spray of the bridal veil falls). You can get soaked if you want, or back off and admire from a dryer distance.

2. Jet Boat rides farther down river in Lewiston up to the whirlpool. (enormous Class 5 rapids on a very powerful jetboat is an intense and very wet experience.

3. Maid of the Mist, it is OK to do once, but the first 2 choices never get old. Admittedly the part where it get's close to the base of the Horseshoe Falls can be a powerfully awe inspiring experience. Surrounded on 3 almost sides by an unimaginably powerful cascade.
  4. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TownPump,

Is it true that 10% of the falls is diverted during the day and up to 75% at night during the winter to generate electricity?

Do they really have Zip Lines that take you close to the falls?

Sorry for the well intentioned hijack.

LookingHard
    TownPump and LoneStar like this.
  5. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this most excellent RR, and for taking us along with you. This forumite especially appreciates your videos with smart and to the point narration, without a music overlay.

In case you had any doubt, you hit the megabucks jackpot in terms of weather in that crappy weather portion of the world. Good on ya!

Warning to others. NFL is in the North Atlantic. The baseline weather there is crap, or crap shortly to follow, and often for several days, and many crappy days in a row is common. Their early fall (Late August to early-mid Sept) is the best bet for decent weather, but no promises. The OP enjoyed an exceptional run of good weather. Based on this excellent RR he deserved it, a Karma sort of thing. We all should be so lucky.
    Shaggie, LoneStar and MizzouRider like this.
  6. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    I had arrived at Christine and Jules’ farm with a laugh, because Jules had scribbled a sign “Parkeo Seguro”, the one thing every motorcyclist searches for in Central and South America. It was great to see them again and the place they had found for their travelers hostel could not have been better. They were at the end of a quality road with a house, barn, guest house and plenty of room for tent camping. The property borders government park land and was beautiful.

[​IMG]

Christina is a wonderful cook and we shared a lot of memories and laughter. Jules is a horse trainer and horse whisperer, and Christine has worked in veterinary clinics for years so they both love animals, but insist they're not going to get anymore. Right. Currently they have Jules’ horse, two rescue donkeys and four chickens.

When it came time to do chores, especially shoveling poop, I had a sudden flare up from an old Olympic sports injury, simultaneous with an old war wound from when I fought in the Cold War. I think I got away with it, but I still ended up having to brush one of the donkeys.

It was a bit rainy, but it was relaxing and I really enjoyed being with them. Needless to say they haven't had much time for motorcycling since purchasing the farm and doing renovations, but the bikes are parked and ready to go, still covered with stickers from their travels. They expect to be open for business and online pretty soon. Their place would make a great stopping point on travels northward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As mentioned, Jules is a horse trainer and a legitimate horse whisperer. At Steel Horse in Colombia, Jules spent one day with an unruly horse there, never speaking a word, and by the next day the horse was eating out of peoples hands. Further south in Argentina, at a farm where Jules and Christine worked for a month, he did a similar thing with the owner's horses. The Argentinian farm owner has asked him to return to train several more horses.

The area they live in is beautiful, and of course French, and they took me to the local restaurant for as they described the “best poutine” in the region due partly to the fresh cheese made nearby. Poutine, for those who haven't had it, is basically french fries with meat or other items, cheese and brown gravy. I'd seen it advertised in my travels but hadn't had any until now. Let's just say it's a comfort food that is best finished with a nap.

My close friend, the rain, had followed me to their house and though a good excuse to lay around by the wood stove, it was time to head further south. It was sad to say goodbye but I look forward to returning possibly next summer. We all hugged and laughed and it was well worth the trip just to see them. The rain had stopped, and the forecast for Montréal and Syracuse New York showed sunny in the afternoon.

It was chilly and damp through the red and gold covered hills, mountains and valleys until I reached the flatter areas of the Montréal region where the sun broke through the clouds. I was quite surprised at the number of motorcycles on the roads and highways. I've seen relatively few but from the Montréal area all the way into New York there were motorcyclists everywhere.

I was trying to avoid any major cities and Google routed me through a small border crossing at Dundee. I stopped at a lowered gate on the Canadian side, which raised to allow me through and across into the US and I traveled past a few houses before reaching the US Border Patrol station. The young female officer (who I think had the hots for me) seemed a bit incredulous as to why I was coming through on a motorcycle, and even more skeptical that I had ridden to Newfoundland. Unfortunately I was not frisked, however she never lost her puzzled and suspicious expression.

The weather had warmed substantially throughout the day and it was probably in the mid 70s as I made my way south towards Watertown, New York. I stopped for gas, managing to time it perfectly for the arrival of several expensive sports cars, including a McLaren, a Ferrari 98 and some other exotics. Three of the girls working at the combination gas station and Dunkin' Donuts were all atwitter and giggly at watching the cars.

The sun was still high enough that I decided run another hour south to Syracuse to be a bit closer to Niagara Falls and my next town of Cleveland, Ohio. I have to say I have mixed emotions about being back in the US, not because it's negative being here, just the fact that I've left one world with a foreign language for a familiar and somewhat comforting one, in just such a short period of time. Ahead will lie the familiar, the routine and I'm sure the heat which is still lingering in Texas. It will be nice to get to the mountains of New Mexico, although that means I have Kansas ahead :2cry I'll be missing the beautiful fall colors, the mountains and forests for sure :lol3
    Shaggie, wilfred, EmmEff and 24 others like this.
  7. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It's not as bad as what you're saying. Early fall wouldn't typically hit in late August.. it would be mid- late september.

I go back often, mostly mid Jul and early August, which will give the bast chance for the best weather. Yes, there are times where it has rained or drizzle for several days straight. I've also gone 2 weeks vacation and not have any rain.

B10Dave and AngusMcL like this.
  9. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Joseph, just got caught up on your latest adventures and wanted to thank you for taking the time to entertain us with your always excellent photography and mostly humorous dialogue. You have many gifts, sorry being a major chick magnet doesn’t seem to be one of them. Maybe louder pipes and more leather? :lol3
    Safe travels, Lance
  10. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. Thanks for taking the time to document it. I have been wanting to ride up there from Texas also. Just need to make the time and save some money I guess. Safe travels.
  11. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    HA! Hey, do you remember Butterfly? He's done alright I'd say. Though I had a real LOL moment reading your post.
    Geezerguy likes this.
  12. fastredbike

fastredbike back on the loose

Oddometer:
    "The young female officer (who I think had the hots for me) seemed a bit incredulous as to why I was coming through on a motorcycle, and even more skeptical that I had ridden to Newfoundland. Unfortunately I was not frisked, however she never lost her puzzled and suspicious expression."

It's only a little funny the stuff the border agents get in their heads; although I have nothing to hide at the border I'm always a bit on edge crossing and am not looking for an argument. On one trip I routed similar to you, crossing from CA into the US south of Montreal on my way home to southeastern New Brunswick. When asked why I was crossing into the US to get to New Brunswick I explained it's a shorter route than if I stayed in Canada all the way. The border agent replied "it isn't shorter, it can't possibly be shorter" and his frown got even bigger. He seemed pretty dug-in on his position so rather than argue I re framed it to: "well your roads are better and your gas and food is cheaper" and even though those facts could be more open to debate than the geography & borders of the region he emphatically agreed with me and passed me through. Since then I usually just go the longer way around if I'm headed to Ontario. It must be a difficult way to spend your days, dealing constantly with people you believe are lying to you.

Thanks for the great report, glad you enjoyed your time in the region. We usually get at least a couple of wet tropical storms in September but you came through it well! The nice days in the fall here are often the best of the whole season.
  13. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the geezerguy says, "Thanks for your hard work posting this". You've given us a look at some beautiful country and insightful commentary on traveling through it on a motorbike. dd
    LoneStar likes this.
  14. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! Captured the essence of the place well. I did Newfoundland west to east last year and enjoyed it immensely. Fantastic place to spend some time.
    LoneStar likes this.
  15. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Glad it wasn't just me :lol3 I think she finally accepted my answer that Google routed me that way. I had a similar puzzlement when I crossed into the USA at St Stephens. The agent asked why I was in Canada then where I was headed. When I said south of Quebec understandably she questioned it. Again when I said Google routed me that way it seemed to quell the issue. Though I've had a few jerks at border crossings, I agree with you about cutting them slack for having to suspect everyone. Funny thing is the BP officers at the Mexican crossings seem to be the easiest when I come back through.

Currently sitting out rain in a McDonald's on the west side of Indianapolis on the way to St Louis. Needless to say I've been slabbing it and taking no pics, also decided to spare you guys helmet cam footage with inane commentary on the interstate. I've decided to save it for more interesting scenery :lol3
    Geezerguy, Shaggie, wilfred and 5 others like this.
  16. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I crossed into Poker, AK from the Top of the World Highway officer noticed my Tennessee address and wanted to know why I hadnt brought him any sipping whiskey. Confessed the Canadians had confiscated it when I crossed from Montana into British Columbia. Fortunately he appeared to believe me. :-)
    bobw likes this.
  17. motoqueen

motoqueen One Life. Live It.

Oddometer:
    Love your ride report !! Thanks for sharing your adventure. I have fond memories of Newfoundland when I was stationed in Argentia in '79-80. I hope to go back one day soon.
    Maggot12 and LoneStar like this.
  18. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well crap. I’d be happy to host you in St Louis, but I’m down in NC, camping on the Outer Banks. I apologize in advance for hot humid weather in St Louis. It’s supposed to finally cool off Friday. I’m sure that’s a day or two too late for you. Thanks to your colorful foliage pics, I’ve got the CEO on board for a trip in 2021..
  19. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thank you! The Canadian commando I talked to on the ferry mentioned that Argentia was established by the US as a naval Base in WWII, and his words were "it was what initiated bringing Newfoundland into the modern era". My time there started a desire to read histories of the island, which I've not had time to do yet. As is my usual, I'll read up on some place AFTER going thru rather than before :lol3

Would have been great to meet you and appreciate the offer - glad you're having fun :lol3

It was 95 and humid when I rolled in late in the day and I regretted being alive.

Here's hoping I survive Kansas until I make the mountains in the Santa Fe region!
  20. TownPump

TownPump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The flow is severely restricted to slow the very fast erosion of the falls back towards Lake Erie and keep the site where it is so to speak. The diversion also generates an enormous amount of electricity.

You really can't notice that there is less flow, unless you have a time machine. It is still an incredible amount of water. Walking next to the river upstream of the falls makes me a little nervous at the thought of accidentally falling in, there is more than enough flow to tear you away pretty quick.

There are ziplines, but they are on the tackier Canadian side. The American side is all parkland near the falls anyway.