LoneStar's Adventure to Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jocephus!

I'm back home from my trip and now all settled into my routine.
    And now I'm all caught up on your ride report, and what an enjoyable report it is! :thumb
    Thank you mucho for posting up the "voodoo that you do". :D

I've got to carve out some time and do that loop up through the maritimes or something similar one of these days.

Have fun in NM ..................... AND WATCH OUT FOR MOOSE !!!!!!!!! :yikes :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Rob
    LoneStar and B10Dave like this.
  2. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Dang...when we went by there back in 2016, the road to the island was blocked, with a big sign "NO TRESPASSING". with warnings of legal action.
    LoneStar likes this.
  3. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sittin' in Dodge City downing a coffee and a burger. Not much to report except wind, semi's and rain on my way across Kansas. Think I'll go for Clayton NM for the rest of the day.

I'll post an update with some final thoughts and map of the route. Appreciate you guys following along and all the tips and suggestions, not to mention the offers of a place to stay! The rain has plagued me at most of the locations I wanted to hang out and photograph, so I'm feeling pretty good about the sunny days I had in Newfoundland :clap

More later...
  4. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Left Kansas City, MO this morning and ended up at the Eklund Hotel in Clayton, NM about 9 hrs later, roughly 550 miles.

Sunny and nice from KC, and pretty windy until an hour or so from Dodge City when the rains came in earnest. The cattle trucks were constant and the head whipping reminded me of the ride up the Atlantic coast from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires - a steady wind with the head banging turbulence for a few hours.
    [​IMG]

About the Oklahoma border, the rain stopped for the last hour or so until Clayton...

[​IMG]

Tomorrow the Las Vegas NM vicinity as final destination...
  5. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Well as you can see, the circle is not complete, but it will be pretty soon. I'll keep posting pictures if anything interesting happens, but certainly the gist of my trip to Newfoundland has been done.

As I've probably mentioned, I've had a curiosity about Newfoundland since the 1990s and since I have a map of North and South America on my wall with my route from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina, the northeastern section of North America was noticeably absent of lines. Now there's a bit more balance :1drink

I've always appreciated the beauty of the northeastern US, and getting to explore New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton was icing on a beautiful cake. Due to the distances, I was unable to spend as much time as I would like, but then that's always the case. Getting to see Newfoundland, and the old Viking settlement at the north end were certainly the culmination. I hope that in the future I'm able to travel to that area again and spend more time exploring. I would've liked to have done some of the old railroad trail on the island, and also the Trans-Lab, but with my time constraints and the weather it wasn't really feasible. There weren't really any challenges and the entire trip could've been done on a Goldwing or a Lark Mobility Scooter, but after some of the challenges I went through in Central and South America it was nice to have a relatively drama free trip. If you get a wild hair to travel to Newfoundland, I highly recommend it...

Thanks for following along, and as mentioned, if anything else interesting happens before I get back to Dallas I will post it here.

[​IMG]
    DCrider, Maggot12, SmilinJoe and 46 others like this.
  6. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report , thanks for sharing. I'm inspired to plan a trip to the maritimes. Ride safely.
    LoneStar likes this.
  7. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thank you for putting forth the effort to share.
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. chip8150

chip8150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report once again Joseph!!! Really enjoy your storytelling and photos. Hope to get up there some day soon!
    LoneStar likes this.
  9. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

As always, thanks very much. I'm tempted to say you started off with a bunch of lemons but, at the very least, you ended up with lemonade....

Another great ride report, more friends made and more experiences that just might age like good wine.

LookingHard
    LoneStar likes this.
  10. b56tc

b56tc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good lord no one visits Kansas, and I read this literally the evening after you crossed through my town!
    Have enjoyed and been inspired by all your reports and regret I couldn't at least treat you to a non food chain meal. Maybe next time, and again thanks for the time to share your journeys
    MrKiwi and LoneStar like this.
  11. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    B7E5EDC4-572B-46B4-85E1-EF17F76AF27D.jpeg
    If you manage to ride through Mosquero, stop at the Headquarters for lunch. Their hamburgers and fried pies are quite possibly the best in the world.
    bobw likes this.
  12. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Why am I just now finding out about this??? :lol3
    stevie99 likes this.
  13. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Another excellent read, and pics. Really enjoyed it. Hope you are at altitude by now. (And cooling off.) I just crossed KS last month, but got very lucky. Followed storms and cooler weather the whole way. (136 northern route). I’ve taken 50, a few years ago. 107 in Dodge City. Just torture.
    LoneStar likes this.
  14. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mizzou! The good thing about the wind and rain was at least it made the ride more interesting than expected. Not that I had any romantic ideas of Dodge City, but I hadn't factored in the endless stream of cattle trucks with rainy poo spray coming my way.
    stevie99 and Shaggie like this.
  15. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great read LS

Just back home after a trip away for work overseas so looking forward to 5 days off n maybe some riding.

Best wishes from Down Under

Shane
    LoneStar likes this.
  16. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    F1FFEC03-CD82-47D8-BAF1-7F6BA8B86244.jpeg
    I was through there a couple of weeks ago too. It’s always nasty.
  17. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great report! :clap
    I have been "thinking" about a ride up there for a couple years. I need to start making it happen.
    LoneStar likes this.
  18. euromedic

euromedic Peter...n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great ride and ride report Joe
    LoneStar likes this.
  19. LoneStar

Oddometer:

Well, I'm back in Dallas and had a great trip. The final two days were spent with friends at a mountain cabin outside Gallinas, NM. The road to his place was a darn good 8 mile version of Deal's Gap. The area was beautiful and got to chill a couple of days on a big deck overlooking mountains and a valley. Got my fill of spicy hot New Mexican food to contrast all the Atlantic seafood.

A bit of the little road to Gallinas

Did a long day back to Dallas from there and arrived late Friday night. Total time for the trip including the days at the cabin was 36 days and I was on the bike 32 of those. Much more butt time than I prefer but I got a lot of scenery and experiences in the process. 20 states in the US and the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Quebec.

Total miles just under 9,500 and time for a new set of Heidenaus. The tires have 12,762 miles on them :O and the rear still has a decent amount of tread though it's time for a new set for sure. I've been through a lot of sets of Heidi's and they just continue to do the job in all weather conditions. I typically get at least 10,000 out of a rear and with my weight on a heavy loaded bike running highway speeds that's impressive.

Again, thanks for following along

Adios amigos!
    pitbull, dondesmo, danh600 and 30 others like this.
  20. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along!! Always a treat to read about your adventures!! Really liked the videos!! Happy trails!!
    LoneStar likes this.