LoneStar's Adventure to Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Aug 29, 2019.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Another fine RR in the books! What's next?
    LoneStar likes this.
  2. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great photos, videos and words. Looks like it was a great trip.
    LoneStar and stromsavard like this.
  3. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride - thank you for sharing. Enjoy your writing style and quality photos. Travel safe.
    LoneStar likes this.
  4. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years back, I ran a Heidenau on a CRF 150 R big wheel. I think it was a K 66.. Ray Abrams of A & A racing supplied the tire. A guy named Rod Lake, along with others, would put on an event every year, it was indoor flattrack, on polished concrete. I think it was only seventy five feet pin to pin, second gear stuff, basically, in a cage. Even after four seasons, those Heidenau's never wore out . And they performed well, even when backing it in, getting two wheel drift. The tires were expensive, but worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the report.
    LoneStar likes this.
  5. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good question - in the big picture I still want to do Russia, Mongolia, etc but not sure when I can pull that together. I'd also like to do Morocco but that would likely be on a rental bike. Gotta make some money first :(
  6. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    LS, I have no idea what the publishing business is like nowadays, but your travelogue and photos from the SA trip would make a fantastic coffee-table book.
    LoneStar likes this.
  7. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    About the Oklahoma border, the rain stopped for the last hour or so until Clayton...

[​IMG]

Great pic.

Fan of photog here, not a pro but sold a few photos over the years and have a clue.

Readers: What is the subject of this fine image? The road? Prairie? The Sky? Horizon? Answer that and you can be on Madison Avenue.
    Poster: I vote for the windscreen. Could be sold if you want, but with your copyright contact puig. No you won't get rich, but you will get credit for your work.
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ For me, the subject is what the image evokes in the mind of a rider; a sort of Zen state of harmony with the Cosmos . . .
  9. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I once long ago had planned and almost undertook a planned "quick trip" to Newfoundland. Reading your report has reaffirmed in my mind that a "quick trip" there would be a waste. I'll still do that trip one day, just make sure I take my time and enjoy all it has to offer.

Great report, thanks for it.
    LoneStar likes this.
  10. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s the sky. That dominates everything and sets the mood of adventure and possibly danger ahead.
    Zubb likes this.
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Most great photos have a great sky. It's one of the things I look for when composing a shot.
    stevie99 likes this.
  12. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I do have a pet peeve though. I can't abide a pic that is not 'square'. Level it up before posting. And while you're in there, go ahead and crop a little to improve where you want to draw the eye to.

I'm just a hack with an iPhone, but these two things are where I start with every single pic I keep or share. I can't stand sharing a pic with someone until I've taken 20 seconds to clean it up a bit.
  13. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR as usual and fantastic pics as usual. Thanks for taking the time to share it all here.
  14. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand your point.

But do you understand the original poster was on the road for 30+ days and sharing his trip (and photos) as it happened? I think it's refreshing to see a picture in the raw. LoneStar can clean it up if he wants to.
    EmmEff, MrKiwi and Davidprej like this.
  15. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I guess my post could be interpreted as critical to the author. Apologies if it came across that way. I have truly enjoyed Lonestars stories and pics for years now as I read them almost every day. Love his work and his photo skills are some of the very best. Upon re-reading my post it sounds like I was giving instruction to him (that's embarrassing). My comment is about my own neurotic issues. Like the person that can't walk by a coffee table without straightening the book laying on it.
    NumberCruncher and Davidprej like this.
  16. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Hey Zubb - no worries - didn't take it as a criticism :lol3

I'm in agreement with you on trying to get level horizons - for some reason (probably my Cro Magnon brow) I get a lot of off-kilter horizons typically to one side. I think the viewfinder design of the A6000 series causes it though it happened with my Canon DSLR's and most cameras with a viewfinder. The above image was from the Sena 10C helmet cam and it's usually tilted one way or another anyway. Most of the stills from it are so wide and boring that I'll leave them a bit tilted to add some dynamic quality. I showed that image because I couldn't believe I could get an interesting photo from a place as frickin flat as what I'd ridden through all day :lol3

Appreciate the comments my friends!
    Zubb and Davidprej like this.
  17. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Dang Steve :O

Yet another reason to always wear brown inside and out...

Guzzi still good?
  18. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I love it. Doesn’t use a drop of oil, doesn’t leak anywhere, still has the original clutch....Hell its still got the original battery! it’s only glitch was a bad O2 sensor at about 12k miles. Otherwise it’s been perfect.
    NumberCruncher and LoneStar like this.
  19. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. I was in many of the same places in Nova Scotia this summer and I miss it already. Great writing, and photography. Thanks.
    LoneStar likes this.
  20. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah nah