LoneStar's Adventure to Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Aug 29, 2019.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked at the one RPM Cycles had before they went out of business but never got a chance to ride it. Now that I've got 2 GSA's I ain't test riding anything else for a while :lol3
    GF-kam, MizzouRider and stevie99 like this.
  2. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'd like to go back and maybe do it in a rental car just taking my time and staying places longer...

Same w NS, would like to spend more time there just enjoying the scenes and seafood
    TNRyder likes this.
  3. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    When I was up in Newfoundland I was told about the Broadway musical “Come From Away” by at least a half dozen locals. They are very proud of it, and they should be. It’s the story of how the community of Gander took in the crew and passengers of all the planes that landed there on 9/11. I looked up the musical and found this clip of one of the songs from an awards ceremony and watched it. It reminded me of my time up there and how much I loved the land and it’s people.

jlambo, bobw, TNRyder and 1 other person like this.
  4. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also planning Newfoundland trip this year - from North Carolina. I am in the early planning stages now. Wavering about the dates for my ride - considering early September, but concerned about the Labor (Labour) day holiday - not partial to crowds. I hope to rent a kayak a few times and would like the temps to be at least in the mid fifties.....
    Decisions, decisions - at some point I’ll just have to make a decision and live with it.
    Ralph
    bobw, Rock709 and Sal Pairadice like this.
  5. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In case you weren't aware of it, there's an inaugural HU event in Newfoundland in mid-August: https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/newfoundland-2020

I know people who will be attending the event that are coming up from Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia. A couple people mentioned riding the Trans-Lab highway either coming or going. Time for me to re-read this great thread and figure out my own plans.
    Maggot12, MTBRALPH and bobw like this.
  6. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I would plan on going earlier if you need those temperatures.
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  7. MTBRALPH

Oddometer:
    It’s not so much that I need the warmer temperatures, it’s just that they would be great. Up until a few years ago I worked outside in the rockys all winter.
  8. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  9. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I spent 2 nights there in July and it got down to 48F. The days were beautiful though.
    Rock709 likes this.
  10. MTBRALPH

Oddometer:
    Pete,
    Thanks for the local scoop. I am leaning towards making this trip September 11 thru September 25 of this year - subject to another week of research and hand wringing. I have to choose my vacation dates for the year by the end of this month and after that it will pretty much be set in stone. I have a good tent and dry riding gear - will get a heated vest for this trip. Again thanks for the info and I welcome any other ideas you may have,
    Ralph
  11. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great reason to plan for August - or a good excuse anyway :D
    Pete S and MTBRALPH like this.
  12. MTBRALPH

Oddometer:
    When you were there in July how crowded was it?
    Ralph
  13. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure LoneStar and I crossed paths on the Cabot Trail in Cape Bretton. That was mid September and the weather was a little bit cool but good for riding. harleycapebretton.jpg

Attached Files:

bobw likes this.
  14. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I was only there for 2 days, in route to Labrador. Tourist sites were full but not suffocating. Campgrounds were near capacity but not crowded. I rode the west coast and traffic was certainly not an issue. I'd love to go back; it was beautiful.
  15. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ralph. Peak tourist season on the Rock would be July and August. Tourist numbers would start to drop during the week following Labor Day week end. As would occupancy numbers at both motels and campgrounds. Also the rates charged would be lower after Labor Day week end. I would not worry over the cold as you likely ridden in cooler temps. But do take GOOD QUALITY RAIN JACKET AND PANTS and rubber gloves. A pair of winter under wear also be wise. As would pair wool socks. Merlin
    GF-kam and MTBRALPH like this.
  16. killianm

killianm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ralph,
    I've done this twice in mid September from Pennsylvania. Once the whole loop of the Translabrador Highway and once just to Newfoundland. It's a great time to go but be prepared for the weather. Be flexible with your plan as it may be raining a couple days on the west coast while it's nice on the east side etc. I planned to tent camp more but stayed at hotels most of the time. Unless you are planning on stealth camping, which you can do almost anywhere, most places have lowered their rates and you can sleep in a bed and have a hot shower economically. If you are paying to stay in campgrounds it's only 30 to 40 dollars a night more for a cabin/cottage etc. I played cash for one place and got a great discount. Its not that I won't camp. It's foggy a lot of mornings so you have to pack a wet tent or use up a lot of daylight waiting for things to dry. You'll see a lot more when you're not breaking down and setting up camp. I find myself avoiding rain if possible and sleeping in a bed. I'm getting softer as I get older. I have the same two weeks off thus year and may go again. There's lots to see! 0912191355.jpg
    GF-kam, Davidprej and MTBRALPH like this.
  17. MTBRALPH

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I am still leaning towards a mid September trip. I am just afraid that August will be too crowded and just do not like crowds.
  18. MTBRALPH

Oddometer:
    Merlin = thanks for the good information. I am really looking forward to this trip.
    Ralph
  19. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was there over that weekend and the following week a couple of years ago. There were more caravans, but traffic wasn't bad at all.
    Good weather mostly, lots of t-shirt days, and bugs were mostly gone that late in the year.

https://weatherspark.com/y/29198/Average-Weather-in-Corner-Brook-Canada-Year-Round

I hoteled it and reservations were helpful rather than just winging it. If you camp that's not an issue, you can camp just about anywhere.
    Do make reservations for the Western Brook Pond boat tour and the ferries.
    GF-kam and MTBRALPH like this.
  20. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So for a couple of retired guys, what about June? Less rain and with kids still in school,not tourist season yet.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.