LoneStar's Adventure to South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Sep 7, 2017.

1. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
  2. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    which i am guessing is nowhere near MON
    LoneStar likes this.
  3. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    MON is 1 hr west of Fort Worth :lol3
  4. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Shoulder is mucho better but not 100%... heading to Big Bend for a couple of days with a friend to ride a bit and see if I can get some miles in without pushing the shoulder too hard.

Installed a new set of Galfer Wave rotors w matching Galfer pads on the GSA yesterday and Big Bend is a good excuse to wear them in. The front wheel (the one scored in Santiago, Chile after smashing the original) had warped rotors on it and was cutting through brake pads pretty fast. Searching for a stock looking aftermarket, the guy at CycleBrakes really recommended the Wave rotors on big, heavily loaded bikes that go off road. I decided to live with the wave look and go for usefulness. Managed to burn up my heat gun getting the bolts out and snapped off a T-30 torx in the head of a new one when torquing them down. Of course it was flush in the new bolt and took longer to get out than replacing the rotors :lol3

So with new brake system and a new TT shock we'll see how life goes way out yonda in Terlingua. The new TT replacement shock was set up perfectly out of the box as to damping and the stiffer spring rate is exactly the way I like it. The previously rebuilt one did some minor pogo stick and I could not get the dampening to stop it - I'm thinking the nitrogen had leaked out during shipment or something due to the undetermined flaw. Whatever, gonna run the new one with a full case load and test it out.

If anyone is gonna be in the Big bend area the next 5 days maybe we can connect. Weather shows to be sub 90º so it shouldn't be too bad.

On another note, since I couldn't do Newfoundland, I may head for Southern Utah area mid October-ish, camp somewhere and do rides in the region. If anyone is gonna be in the area that might be a meet up as well... love Southern Utah
    MrKiwi, DunkingBird, inroads and 4 others like this.
  5. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    what do you mean by mon i meant middle of nowhere :-)
  6. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    I mean the same... Go west of Ft Worth into west Texas and you'll definitely be in the middle of nowhere :lol3
  7. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    Nailed it!
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Say hi to Sandi up at the Starlight for us :wave

IIWM headed out there now, I'd hit the river for a float or kayak. The flow will be excellent given all the rain out there. And on that note, it is super green and lush. For a desert.
  9. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Trice, it was really lush out there - ocotillo were brilliant green, flowers, etc.. Caught two days of sunny weather in the 70's.

Took a friend with me who's new to adventure riding and had never seen Big Bend region. Did the Park, River Road multiple times, Pinto Cañon, Marfa - all the usual. Two big bull elk ran in front of me coming out of Pinto - always heard rumors there were elk still out there. Went to Ojinaga for scrips, lunch and to turn in my Mexico permits. Got a big hug from Kosmic Kathy, sat on the porch under a Comanche moon till the town was asleep and killed a rattlesnake with a spear through the head*... life doesn't get any better.

[​IMG]

*Animals WERE harmed in the making of this. Three small rattlers decided they needed to live coiled around the steps of a friend's trailer each night. I missed getting bit by one by a few inches the first night and the owners asked if we could dispose of them. Second night I got lucky with a garden stake directly to the head (to the disbelief of me, the snake and friend Steve) and by the third night we'd been fitted with a pistol by the owners but the other snakes decided to take a snake-cation and disappeared.
  10. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rattle snake bites are no joke!! I have tried some rattle snake chili, not half bad.
    LoneStar likes this.
  11. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Lonestar, such a snake charmer you are...:lol2
    LoneStar likes this.
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Recently took June aka Tricewife out there for an extended hiking adventure, and introduced her to Kathy at La Kiva. Those two bonded and I was happy June met an icon of Terlingua/Study Butte lore.

Interestingly, I pulled into Study Butte store one time just as Kathy was towing the Pink Bus away from her long time location and taking it to put it out to pasture. I couldn't believe the timing.

Great vid of FM 170/River Road. That's a great section and the moon was excellent.
    BarryB and LoneStar like this.
  13. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    I fell in love with Kathy my first trip out there and always am happy when I get to see her. Amazing lady. We got a chance to talk about the Kosmic Kafe and how she destroyed everyone's world when it went away :(:. I still try to convince her to build her Kamper Korral and start it all up again but she's got other plans. Miss the fire ring and the morning coffee with the whoever else was there.

We got very lucky with the weather for a couple of days but the heat got it's vengeance when we were in Ojinaga...

Have you ridden MX200 on the Mexican side that goes into Cañon de Santa Elena National Park?? Never been on that one
    Tricepilot and MizzouRider like this.
  14. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look what's about to hit the market.

[​IMG]
    LoneStar and joenuclear like this.
  15. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Such a sweet bike design. Damb those Italians! :clap

I think I'd just put it in the living room with a spotlight on it and never ride it
  16. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:

It really looks to be the tits.
    LoneStar likes this.
  17. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    except it is not big enough for @LoneStar and his tall frame.

I really like the looks of the bike though
  18. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Points for perfect use of the English language :lol3

Yes, it looks a tad small for me - has to be an art piece in the living room :D
  19. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Great interview with Paul Joseph!
    Y'all can find it on the front page.
    2mstone, elron, KHVol and 1 other person like this.
  20. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! It was a real honor to get the chance with @rtwpaul Look forward to getting to meet him one of these days :D
    StinkyCheese, elron, Merfman and 3 others like this.