LoneStar's Adventure to South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I missed this question but yes, I've done that. that's the desert run past the end of the pavement at Manuel Benevides. Then there is relatively easy dirt until you reach the wash at the base of the rise to the rim 1,500 above the Rio Grande at Santa Elena. There are a couple of tricky gates such that it pays to know about them in advance so you don't turn around needlessly.

In my video below, right at the beginning I'm standing just east of the cleft in the ridge which is Santa Elena Canyon, splitting Texas and Mexico. Look in the upper left of the frame and you'll see the entrance to the canyon. This is 1,500 feet above the Rio Grand. Then I pan West to East; the highland at the end of the pan in the far distance is Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park. At the beginning I pan past Terlingua and Study Butte, but you can't make them out in the vast expanse.

I wouldn't attempt this without GPS tracks, but it can be done.

[​IMG]

In the above map, the left arrow is Manuel Benevides, and the right arrow is where I'm standing to make the video. Just east of the entrance to Santa Elena Canyon.
  2. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great interview! One of the great ride reports and one that provided a lot of inspiration for our trip. Thanks a lot.
    knight and LoneStar like this.
  3. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack your RR but I just pulled up the phone mount you described and added it to my wish list for later. My question to you and any others that have their smartphones mounted on the bars is; how do the phones hold up to constant vibration? Has anyone experienced problems or premature failures?
  4. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put one on my triumph after LS recommendation....3000 mile to Colorado and back, I have a galaxy 6...no problems at all. Great product and price!!
  5. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Shimr - I used a OnePlus 3 for the trip and all my other riding. Phone has had no ill effects and just upgraded to the OnePlus 6. My mount is centered between the bar mounts and vibration is minimal there so that might have helped. I think that's about the only place that is fat enough for the mount size - at least on the GSA

It's good question but I'm guessing most phones are pretty solid state these days?
    Davidprej and 911timo like this.
  6. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I need to read your report now :D
    Davidprej likes this.
  7. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Thanks Trice! Any chance you have the GPS track?? I've often wondered what was up there :D In March I'm planning to ride with a couple of friends through Big Bend and down to Copper Canyon, then across to Baja and more - might try the run up to the canyon edge
    Davidprej and 911timo like this.
  8. caliform

caliform Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Met a fellow who knew you from Dallas in Costa Rica (Uvita, to be exact). Was really nice to chat about how much I loved your RR. Hope I see you on the road sometime LoneStar!
    LoneStar likes this.
  9. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Ha ha that's cool!

Yesterday I got to meet several guys who had read the trip report! There was an adventure motorcycle show in Lewisville, TX sponsored by Moto Liberty store in Dallas. https://www.motorcycleadvshow.com/
    It was the first show they did and was a huge success - a lot of vendors and I'd have to guess a couple thousand people or more came through. They had the show yesterday, campout last night and another day of show today.

I was one of the speakers in the afternoon, so hung out much of the day and got to meet a bunch of folks. They'll do it again next year and the show should be even larger!
  10. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the delay, but I've finally gotten dates together for the first "Moto Photo Mexico" tour!

I'm not sure if it's kosher promoting something in the ride report, so I've got detailed info on my website under "Moto Adventures" at www.josephsavant.com

I'm partnering with MotoHank on this tour, and he's been in Africa for a couple of months so we couldn't pull it together before the end of the year.
    This tour will be 5 days, with personal instruction daily on ways to improve your photography in a great street shooting environment. Emphasis is on enjoying the trip, with the chance to learn something in the process. It will be low-key, relaxed and fun.

Doesn't matter what your skill level is or even if you don't bring a camera - it's also a great excuse to break the mental barrier of riding in Mexico if you've had any fears of doing it!

The first tour will be a basic photography experience with follow up tours of greater length and going deeper into Mexico.

Anyway, check out the specifics and I hope some of you guys can do the tour with us!
  11. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you are still doing these courses/tours in 2020. I’d like to go, but 2019 is way overbooked for me. Looks exactly like the kind of trip I’d like to do.
    Bacchusman, LoneStar and KHVol like this.
  12. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here..and recruiting others
    LoneStar likes this.
  13. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

Guess I will be buying two lottery tickets tonight....... Sounds like a wonderful trip.

LookingHard
    LoneStar and Davidprej like this.
  14. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Hey man thanks! I'd love to do it a couple of times a year or more, maybe rotating to different locales. This trip is a really great intro to Mexico and is one I never tire of... just a perfect range of experiences in a reasonable amount of time. This ride's been the catalyst for launching a lot of riders into exploring deeper into Mexico
  15. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Exactly, perfect number of days and good intro to next and longer trips.
  16. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is most likely to break due to vibration is the optical image stabilization mechanism, if present, since it's a mechanical system. Nothing one would immediately notice if its broken I think?

I don't worry about the electronics themselves but still, for longer trips I use a secondary, inexpensive, phone for navigation since the constant running and charging under hot conditions shortens life of the battery significantly.
    LoneStar likes this.
  17. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Yes I'd agree with you on using a secondary phone for nav being a good idea! With any electronics I'm expectant of failure so I was more than surprised that there were no issues over the 8 months of use in SA plus running around here.

I found the phone and navigation apps to be better than the BMW NAV V gps and recommend a phone over a gps now. I ended up using both, as the GPS with OSM maps had more details in certain areas and vice versa, but overall Maps.me is really good and has lodging, etc all for free. I also had paid versions of Sygic and Navion apps on the phone from years previous but only as backup. Google maps was surprisingly good and if you plan a route then download the map for it, it worked well and was more accurate for travel times. Maps.me might show 3 hours for a route and Google might show 6 hours. Google was generally in the ballpark
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    LS- photo tour looks great and yeah someone may tell ya to boot it to vendors.
  19. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did everyone go?????

Thanks for the Ride LS. Ride a tenere, get it in the dirt.
    LoneStar likes this.
  20. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Hey PDR thanks... lots of crickets here :D

Had a lot going on this last year and haven't been able to ride or do much. Hope to do Newfoundland and TransLab this summer. Was planning for June but from what I've read August/Sept is better for the bug swarms. Will post a head's up if I do anything interesting :D