LoneStar's Adventure to South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Sep 7, 2017.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helmets depend so much on head shape.

I also by nature tend to avoid big name branded helmets as you end up invariably paying a lot for the name and less for the product. By accident I ended up with a brand I had never heard of. I needed a new lid when last touring Europe and ended up with Icon. A USA brand I believe. It is not sold in NZ.

Fit and comfort is very good for my head. It has become my go to helmet (currently have three on my shelf).

[​IMG]
    LoneStar likes this.
  2. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good looking helmet Mr Kiwi!

Speaking of helmets I may as well use this as an intro to an easy modification you can do to add a little light (pun intended) when traveling.
    A few years back I added a baseball cap LED light to my Arai XD3 visor/peak/brim. It was similar to the one below.

[​IMG]

The curve matched the visor curve and I cut off the two plastic tabs, mounting it under the visor with double sided foam tape. It also cleared the face shield when it was up so I had no issues with scratching the shield. It proved to be more useful than expected.

In action - sorry for some reason the time code doesn't work so skip ahead to 3:22ish

[​IMG]

Wanted to do something similar with the Schuberth and while looking on Amazon, ran across these Cyclops LED lights. They're much smaller and use a wire clip, also come in a 2 pack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's worked well and hasn't come off in use, but I think a piece of tape over the wire loom would be a smart idea... The extra one is easy to stash somewhere in the tank bag or in your camp gear to use or keep for a spare. And yes, I try not to ride after dark but it happens.

The light survived a fair amount of rain and a good hailstorm in a recent 12 day run I did through NM, CO, UT and WY and still works so it's reasonably water resistant. Don't know if it would last in drenching rain but maybe your visor has enough clearance to mount it on the bottom side.
    Geezerguy, 78er, DCrider and 5 others like this.
  3. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    I just ordered the Cyclops Hatclip. I'm heading to our "other" home in San Miguel de Allende on Tuesday for a month or so and will bring it along. I have no idea what I'll use it for but riding is on the agenda and it looks like it will be useful for something!

Thanks for posting about it.

Vinnie
    LoneStar likes this.
  4. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Oh I hate you! I was just perusing the CL ads last week for a (cheap) apartment there I could rent for a month. I was fantasizing about getting out of Dallas for a month but with Newfoundland on the horizon I decided I should save my pennies. I bet the lodging in Canada is fricking expensive :(

Hey, even if you never need the light, it's there in case and adds to your cyborg look :thumb
    freewaystreak likes this.
  5. freewaystreak

freewaystreak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride Gringo Gigantica! Ride!
    LoneStar and stevie99 like this.
  6. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course we're still here. Your stories and pics are the best of the best. M2CW on gear, I've had a lot of gear in my 50 years of riding. For me, Aerostich Darien AD1 pants and Darien jacket are my go to apparel for all but extreme heat. The website gives an honest opinion on waterproof gear, which is to say, if your ride in heavy rain without a substantial windshield, you're gonna get some water intrusion no matter what. Through the years I've stayed reasonably dry with proper treatment of the product according to the directions. I have some vented Vanson apparel for the swampy NC summer riding and I don't care if it rains. I don't carry anything in my pockets to be destroyed and the rain cools me down. When the sun comes back out, I'll be dry in short order.

Thanks for the updates and carry on the plan of the day.
    LoneStar likes this.
  7. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    No experience with their gear personally, though I've never heard much but praise for it. Aerostich had a demo day in Austin several years back and rented a bldg to exhibit their inventory. I went with the intentions of probably buying a jacket. The build was heavy and substantial - definitely for a colder climate than Texas in general, and for that reason I realized I'd only be wearing the jacket for a few days a year here so couldn't justify buying one. Definitely heavy duty stuff!
  8. currenv

Oddometer:

Don't know about Canada, but it's still possible to find reasonable places in or close to SMA. For instance, a few of the expats-on-a-budget who live in SMA and ride with the Motoclasico group have found affordable places in Cieneguita, which is on the outskirts of SMA. I'll PM you with more info.

Vinnie
    LoneStar likes this.
  9. currenv

Oddometer:
    I like my Aerostich and just ordered an R3 one piece. I can manage the Roadcrafter Classic until about 85 degrees around town; then it gets a bit toasty waiting lights to change. On the highway, they have good air flow. Aerostich suggests filling the pockets with ice on very hot days. Since the pockets are outside the Goretex laminate, it will provide cooling without getting you wet.

Once it gets in the upper 80s, I switch to mesh gear. Not quite as safe in a get off, but much more comfortable. In fact, I'm about to go out to run some errands now, and it's just about 90 here in Ann Arbor, so I'm going to put the mesh on for the first time this year. Leaving for Mexico tomorrow and looking forward to the cooler weather there!

Vinnie
    freewaystreak and LoneStar like this.
  10. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    :y0!Me 2!
  11. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    And for those watching I will be soon interviewing @LoneStar in the Inmates Interview thread. He is up next :D
  12. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Why does this scare me?
  13. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    no it shouldn't, honest :lol3.

it will be nice and relaxed
  14. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    looking forward to your insights. you (seemingly) pay close attention to your surroundings.
    SkizzMan and MrKiwi like this.
  15. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have no affiliation to these folks, but have used their service and it worked for me:

http://www.lidpicker.com/

You measure your head send them the numbers and they tell you what helmets will fit you best....
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Vinnie!
  17. currenv

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim. In SMA now, just picked up the Vstrom from the rental garage and it started right up, yEs!

Enjoying a cafe americano in my favorite cafe. The weather is beautiful, looks like maybe a ride to Xichu on Friday, C’mon down, Jim, Lonestar, and you other inmates!

Vinnie
    JRWooden, SkizzMan and freewaystreak like this.
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    How long are you staying in SMA?
    I'm thinking I'll be headed down mid-August ...
    for better or worst ;-)
  19. currenv

Oddometer:
    I’ll PM you so as not to take LS’s thread further afield.

Vinnie
    JRWooden likes this.
  20. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Beale Street in Memphis, Tennessee.

Yes, I've started my attempt to make Newfoundland.... There was a break in the insane heat in Dallas so I zipped to Memphis today. Arrived about 6:30 and was pleasantly surprised to find out they were having bike night on Beale Street, so I hung around until about 9. I'm not usually into such things, but Tennessee folks are so friendly the experience was actually enjoyable, especially with a nice evening temperature and bits of blues music playing here and there in the background. By the time it was fully dark, it had turned into a miniature Sturgis with lots of interesting old vintage bikes in the mix.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to summon the fortitude to begin a ride report ... I'll post the link here if and when I get it started.

Tomorrow I will take the back roads to Chattanooga and Deals Gap area to ride the Dragon's Tail. My plan has been to haul butt for Newfoundland since I'm leaving so late in the season, with plans to take my time coming back south. However Ward, the Canadian rider I connected with in Ecuador and who unfortunately got to ride with me through the Andes mud and snow in Peru was planning a run to Deals Gap about the same time so we're going to meet up there. Ward's a great guy and it will be fun to see him again after South America.