LoneStar's Adventure to South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Sep 7, 2017.

1. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

I can't imagine how much work a RR is, especially if you add in FB, Snapchat, Twitter and YouTube, but if you do anything please let us know so we can follow.

Your photos and words are part of the reason I have gotten back into riding.

Regardless, hope you enjoy the ride.

LookingHard
    LoneStar, MaNDan, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Try not to pass any young flat-bellied guys riding sport bikes on the Tail of the Dragon.
    They can get really pissed :lol3
  3. Out4aRip

Out4aRip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see your post, Joe.
    I hope you share some of your pics here or another thread, Instagram etc.
    It's a lot of work, but a lot of us really appreciate it!
    Enjoy the ride!
    SavannahCapt and LoneStar like this.
  4. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    They would be... I'm loaded like the Beverly Hillbillies

[​IMG]
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Heh heh.

I think it was the spare tire I was carrying that pushed him over the edge.
    LoneStar, codebot and Mofrid like this.
  6. LoneStar

Oddometer:
  7. chip8150

chip8150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes! Will be following this for sure Joseph! My trip to Newfoundland got scuttled last fall so can't wait to follow your story and images you capture along the way! Tell Ward hello for me!

I've just paused here in Colorado from 7 weeks and 10,000 miles from Virginia to Alaska and back down - this time on the 1100gs. Will be making my way back east in a couple of weeks to retool at the Showalter farm and then hopefully head to Mexico.

Safe travels Lonestar!
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Dude I was wondering where you were? I'm going to swing by and see Ken on the way back south - maybe you'll still be there!
  9. PaisaMed

PaisaMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joseph, great to see you, although fleetingly, on Saturday at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort! (I always chuckle when I read/ hear Deal's Gap and resort in the same sentence). Dang, with your BMW I could not distinguish it from the SA trip bike. I returned last night at 2 am after a 16 hour Labour Day haul up I75.

Anyway, have a great trip up the northeast and I will definitely be following the new ride report. Back to school and now you've created homework every night for yourself with the RR. Lol, hopefully the internet will be better than SA.
    LoneStar and Tricepilot like this.
  10. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A wild post for me. Great to see you, @PaisaMed, in MedellĂ­n, Colombia, for a beer earlier this year!
    LoneStar likes this.
  11. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not exactly sure how I came across this ride report, but I've spent the last few days reading it start to finish. I copied down a few of the places you visited to add to my bucket list.

Great trip! I'm most impressed that your ride report was posted from the road, and remained up to date! I've done a couple of few-month rides, and I end up completing my ride report when I get home. I'm curious about your methods and techniques to keep your ride report so timely!

I really liked your photography tips, your gear reviews, and packing ideas.

Jamie
    LoneStar and Davidprej like this.
  12. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the above. With some reports, it's obvious that "I found some great wifi and sat down with a beer to write this post", but others, like this one, seem to write themselves. I'm curious for tips as well.
    LoneStar likes this.
  13. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie! I've enjoyed your stuff - always good tips and info.

Thanks for the thumbs up... I looked back at my first ride report not too long ago about my first adventure, a 6 week trip to Montana, and was shocked how short it was - now they seem to be approaching War and Peace in length :D

Not many tips in the process, but I try to take mental notes as I go along in the day and in the evening before passing out, jot them down as an outline so I don't forget what happened. So many things happen daily it's very easy to forget stuff. Since I travel solo usually, it's easier to fill my late evenings fleshing out the outline with details before falling asleep, or sometimes write it out while drinking coffee in the morning. As you know, wifi and a place to hang out and edit pics, write, upload and post isn't always convenient or available. That's why my daily notes help if I have to go a few days unable to post anything. My photos also jog my memory for details about weather conditions, how I was feeling, blah blah blah. And by notes I mean short and sweet like "saw dog on fire", "man with three legs ran away from motorcycle", etc.

My real purpose in writing reports is as a diary for the future when I can't do this crap anymore, so I write about what seemed interesting to me that day, or how I felt about something or somebody. Just things that interest me mainly. I've kind of learned that folks seem to be interested in details of daily life - maybe because it's easier to relate to swallowing a bug while riding than it is to be riding in snow and sleet in an Andes pass. I dunno, just seems the details help people connect maybe. Having a spider crawl out of your ear in the morning is something everyone can imagine. DAMHIK.

In a perfect theoretical scenario, at the end of a day or two of travel, I would get into a hotel, relax, download photos and videos to my laptop, then select a few of my faves for the report and upload them to SmugMug (cuz I try to support advrider and it's also easy to get image links from the gallery) or some online location where they can be linked. In my case, looking at the pics refreshes my memory some. Then I list out the main memories of the day in chronological order and flesh out the details as best as I can remember. I usually write out the report in the Advrider "Post Thread" window (sometimes in Word or some text app) and that way I can pull appropriate photo links off Smugmug and insert the images as I write. I've gotten screwed doing that too when something happens to the connection or the software is buggy.

Because the time involved in keeping a report updated can add up fast, the simpler the better. I've done it long enough now that it's become more complex by adding video in and shooting raw files which require processing out, but that's only because I've gotten faster over time.

My road kit is the smallest, lightest laptop I could get in Mac OS, the 12" MacBook, my photo program is Lightroom because I've used it professionally for years and my helmet cam videos are simple edits in Quicktime, which lets you trim length and add scenes by pasting them in. I found the professional video editing software to be much more complex than I needed, since I'm just using short clips from the ride. Initially I wanted to add a music soundtrack, but the hassle wasn't worth it and I think most of them are annoying anyway. I'm just doing a report, not a documentary movie :D

I could just as easily use Mac's Photos program as I did for years on my old 13" MacBook Pro, but my large photo library has been based in Lightroom for years for its cataloging abilities. I shoot raw and process it out through Lightroom and my road trip catalog can easily be ingested into my Lightroom catalogs at home. For the average person, Lightroom or similar isn't necessary, just a basic photo program unless you're into imaging heavily.

The wrench in the works is when doing a lot of camping which of course makes laptop time much more of a hassle, lacking power and such. That means collecting a lot of info and then doing what you can at a coffee shop - which will keep your posts much more minimalist.

The evolution of smart phones will make doing an entire report easy with just a phone - and it's certainly possible now - but in my case the lack of lens capabilities is way too restrictive. It will be a while yet before they get that sorted, but a phone can shoot and edit video, take pics, write copy, upload and all in a small package not to mention be charged off a motorcycle battery or bank. If I didn't shoot images the way I do, I'd probably seriously consider going the phone route.

A lot of sh*t to read through, but I hope that stirs a bit.
    Motoman66, stevie99, MaNDan and 13 others like this.
  14. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thank you.

My next question was whether you compose online or using an offline editor.I'm glad you addressed that.

I'm working on minimizing my own kit. I've got an iPad Air that does everything I need, plus my iPhone, which my main camera, and a backup Android phone that also doubles as my navigation. They can all be charged on the bike and last many hours. I haven't had any power issues while camping. :nod

You're right about the modern and future smartphones. They will do it all. I'm a pretty simple photographer, and I think my next addition will be a lens kit to add to my phone to give me a little more flexibility.

I've been out of two-wheel riding for over five years now, and I just bought a new bike and I'm looking forward to getting back on the road.

Thanks for the ideas and advice, but you left out one thing: how do you keep yourself motivated to do it all? :twitch

Jamie
  15. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Smart phones are the way to go IMO - the GPS capabilities alone beat my Garmin NAV V by miles and was a lifesaver in Central and South America with Maps.me and a couple other GPS apps. Having a second spare is great... so little space compared to all the other BS. I have backup hard drives, cables and other crap I hate carrying along.

Staying motivated is always an issue and some days I just don't touch a report, instead just enjoying the freedom that got me into motorcycling and keeps me there. If I feel any burden or pressure concerning writing it, or even shooting pics, I just drop it for a couple of days.

One thing that does motivate me is the "live feedback" for lack of a better term. It's nice getting current info, feedback and comments from the nuthouse here. It affords the opportunity to connect with some of the inmates on the road for beer or a camp spot as you move across the land. That's the best aspect of it all. Oftentimes I'm not able to make a connection on the road just due to logistics or whatever, but I always appreciate the possibility and effort readers go to for my benefit.

Once you make a daily connection here, especially on a longer trip, it is a benefit and you enjoy sitting down to hear comments and encouragement, (despite some of the inevitable bipolar folks). When I was broken down in Cuenca, I got to vent frustration and loneliness online and having guys encourage you helped. It also afforded making connections with other travelers. I think I've done one or two reports after-action, and it just wasn't the same - harder to remember events and less inspiration, and those were probably the least interesting reports. That said, a lot of times I wrestle with whether I want to dive in and start a report, because then I'm committed and it is more work than just enjoying a ride.
    mikegc, Motogvmx, MaNDan and 5 others like this.
  16. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

I can't imagine how much work it is to do a RR, but I for one appreciate all that you do.

Not to minimize the time and effort others put into their work here, but you have some of the best photos on the site, and you are quite the wordsmith.

When you were traveling the first thing I did everyday was to check for updates.

Stay safe.

LookingHard
  17. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Ha ha thanks LH - Actually I've been copying the Alaska report over to my website and getting to read snippets of it while doing so - gots me ready to do it all over again. I'm ready to do South America to see a lot of what I missed... Trying to convince a friend to do Russia w me, but if not I'll do it solo :O Now I just need to figure out that money thing :lol3 Guess I'll do some heavy overtime on my pole-dancing gig
    95Monster, MaNDan, joenuclear and 3 others like this.
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    well damn was really hoping you'd make it to Russia :D
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
  20. danisOTR

danisOTR GO BIG OR GO HOME Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better be careful on that
    pole