LoneStar's Adventure to South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Sep 7, 2017.

1. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    That is the human connection at a different level. Language, borders, politics out of the equation, brings purity to the level. We just have to embrace it, these are the experiences that have changed my perspective of life. No matter how different we look and act, we are all one at the cosmic level. Please keep sharing these stories.

Happy New Year to all !!
    dano619 and LoneStar like this.
  2. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you LoneStar for such a captivating RR and especially for taking the time to elaborate on your thoughts about photography! I have a GS and Sony a7ii and need to use both more frequently. My wife is a travel blogger and we are fortunate to take family trips internationally but work and raising family keeps us from a long motorbike ride currently. But we dream of an opportunity soon . . .

Sounds like I need to switch to shooting raw images immediately. Shooting jpg only has given me the chance to really learn the various camera functions. Curious - how much time do you typically spend processing an image?

Ride safe and please realize how much interest and respect your efforts are generating. We have a place in Kerrville that we use on weekends and intend to retire there someday. If you’re in town sometime in the future let me know so I can buy you a cup of coffee

Jeff
    LoneStar likes this.
  3. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:

Wow! What a superb primer on photography aspects! Thanks for that monumental effort. It's really enlightening. :D

I couldn't help thinking while reading that how photography is similar to riding.

Which i hope you get to do soon.
    Scotty707 and LoneStar like this.
  4. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Interesting...in the latter photo I find my eye drawn to his shadow.
    hardroadking and LoneStar like this.
  5. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeff thanks my friend. I miss Kerrville sometimes :D

Getting into raw can overwhelm sometimes, only because there are so many options to adjust and learning the programs can be frustrating. Sony's free software works okay but is very sluggish but they did offer a version of CaptureOne dedicated. You might choose the Raw+Jpeg option in camera and then play with the raw file to get it to match the jpg for starters and go from there.

Coffee sounds good!

*Edit: Raw processing takes little time since the settings can be in batch while importing the images. Also should mention there are presets on the internet for cameras to get you into a ball park or better range of adjustments
    GeoAggie likes this.
  6. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer:
    It's art man and there are no rules!

The shadow in the latter has the greatest degree of contrast of both images, which is probably why :thumbup
    hardroadking likes this.
  7. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the photography lesson, I learned a lot
    LoneStar likes this.
  8. LookingHard

LookingHard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

Me thinks someone could teach photography when they return to Texas.....

Happy New Year and Happy Trails......

LookingHard
    LoneStar likes this.
  9. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lone star,

Good to hear about batch processing options for raw images. Very helpful suggestions, thanks!

Funny story - my wife and I took a photography seminar in Kerrville a year or so ago hosted by Precision Camera in Austin. A variety of individual courses offered options to select subjects over a three day period. In one course my wife won a photography contest as judged by the instructor. She is a camera novice and shot only in auto mode but her composition and style caught the teacher’s eye. I could hear some snippy comments from the technicians in the room given my wife’s lack of understanding technical specs!

Hopefully you will be back on the road soon with a smooth running GSA. We will certainly be tracking your progress and eager to experience the sights and meaning through your wonderful photography.

Jeff
    LoneStar and ONandOFF like this.
  10. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    pdedse said:
    Interesting...in the latter photo I find my eye drawn to his shadow.

I guess what I was thinking that despite the "guy centered" = apparent subject of the photo, my eye was drawn to the shadow which is at the 1/3 point you mentioned--that's what I found interesting after reading the points you made. But "greatest degree of contrast" explains it as well.

No matter--I love learning new things and many of us are benefitting from your unplanned down-time, both the photography details and your extra adventures.
    ONandOFF and LoneStar like this.
  11. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer:
    Yes it was a good observation and entirely accurate!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
  12. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I found myself looking at that shadow too. But if you compare again, you'll see that the shadow on that one is much more pronounced than the one on the other. That's what drew my attention, more than the positioning. I did find that one with the subject offset notably more inviting, though, and I attribute that to my seeing where he's going as much as the offset position. I feel like it would be less ideal if the two-thirds were behind the subject on that one thus feel it's more than the 1/3 positioning alone.
  13. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer:
    Lol thanks!

I've had an idea rattling around the brain for a while... Would be interesting for the photogs here
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried

Oddometer:
    photography discussion aside (say no more, nudge nudge), I hope you get a few good days rest somewhere quiet to recharge Joseph.

Bike seem sorted enough now to get up and go? Even if, you may want to rest up
    LoneStar likes this.
  15. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year LoneStar. I took a look at my ‘09 GS and on the left throttle body the vacuum port does have a hose attached running up under the tank. In looking at my Haynes manual I believe it does go to the charcoal filter. The non US versions have that port capped as the right TB is on my bike. That may be where you remember that port being capped. The “re learning” process worked well on my old 650GS and hopefully will work for you. Thanks again for an excellent RR.
  16. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year and hope you get that Beemer sorted!

I don't post much, but got to say your RR is top notch.
    I think this is so, because Your writing (like your photography) brings out richness of all angles, emotional, spiritual and otherwise!
    God that sounds so spiritual and artsy frtsy lol...

I was supposed to be there now also but unfortunately other plans materialized. Good part is I will be heading that way at end of this year instead but with much more time available and hopefully funds too.

Looking forward to more..
    LoneStar likes this.
  17. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm going stir crazy to get land flowing beneath me again, and the bike isn't right yet. Back to the shop tomorrow and see if it can be sorted.

Reaching a point where if he can't get it right I may have to make a hard decision about this trip. Burning through money and time I don't have :O
  18. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer:
    Thanks GG - I saw one of those caps on the floor at the repair shop near my bike and then when I thought about it I guess my mind went somewhere else. Appreciate the confirmation. Going to follow Sluggo's post and any other suggestions as well
    ONandOFF and MrKiwi like this.
  19. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer:
    Thanks bro! It took me a long time to actually have the planets align for this trip
  20. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great post! There are so many photographers out there who don't want to share any sort of tips or their knowledge with others - sometimes for fear of competition, or whatever reason - and it really annoys me. Photography is an activity that can be done by anyone, why not share what you know? Everyone was a beginner once.

I've been doing photography for more than 10 years, and there's always something new to learn whether it's fundamental techniques, or looking at other people's work and getting your own ideas from it. Thank you for sharing with us and keep 'em coming!
    EamonFleming, ONandOFF and LoneStar like this.