LoneStar's Adventure to South America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LoneStar, Sep 7, 2017.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    I'm looking hard at the Surface Pro but it sure is spendy.
    ChicoProf and LoneStar like this.
  2. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joseph,

I think you said it might be cheaper to look at a newer used BMW than another brand of ride but there is an 'Africa Twin' in the bikes for sale thread.

Can't figure out how to post the link here.

LookingHard
    LoneStar likes this.
  3. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Surface for when I travel, and I find the pen to be a wonderful tool in Lightroom for using adjustment brushes.
    LoneStar and MrKiwi like this.
  4. ATLDB

ATLDB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute LoneStar, you are NOT! one of the original members, dang it! all this time I am following you ! :rofl

P.S. I spent a week riding a friends AT, he decked it out with all options, bags everything. It is a Honda product I don't need to say anything else about it, but once you ride a GSA (in my case an Oil Head GSA and now a LC GSA) the AT just does not compare.

Darcy
    LoneStar and Vin like this.
  5. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunno, I think this is the opportunity to finally drink the Orange Kool-Aid! I love my 1190R...
  6. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing some videos of my gear and my thoughts on them, as much because I'm getting antsy about getting on the road and going crazy, but also just to play around some with the camera and mic. Eventually I'd like to get to a point where I can do some interview vids of travelers I meet on the road and need to get some of the technical details figured out.

If it sounds interesting I'll do a couple to get some feedback??

I'm still in the process of working on getting a few things accomplished, but in a week or so I'm heading with MotoHank to Mexico for a few days and if time permits I'll try to play with video a bit more.

I looked at the regular AT but haven't ridden it yet. Inclined to wait until the Adventure version is here in a couple of months... I know, I know, the Beast has a grip on my heart :D

Even Orange is on the list :D

One of the riders I met on the Stahlratte is retired law enforcement from Austria and bought a new 1190 or 1290 - can't remember which - for the trip south and has continued on after S America through NZ, Australia and now in Africa. He sends me a photo from everywhere about how his KTM hasn't had a problem yet - the bastard :lol3
    Mofrid, MaNDan, Trekking36 and 8 others like this.
  7. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    Also, a moot point but I am finally getting around to redoing gear and fixing up things like broken snaps, and rethinking some things.

Just to prove I wasn't crazy about my Aerostich Short-Gauntlet Triple Digit Raincovers, I filled them with agua and dey did leak like a sieve from the seams

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still like new condition so they weren't abused for dang sure
    [​IMG]

I realized I bitched a lot about gear failure, but in the grand scheme of things much of it failed in some form or fashion from the outset and it's just been disappointing that so much research and money went into products that failed to do what they were designed to do :(

That said, a lot of it performed really well and I hope to talk about that gear in a couple of videos :D
    KneeDrachen, GAS GUY, MaNDan and 5 others like this.
  8. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look forward to seeing your vids
  9. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Nobody will dislike vids! :thumb

And if they do... :augie
  10. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great news that you'll be doing more vids on gear assessment and rider interviews if I got it right. By the way Best Buy has a four day sale I think ends tomorrow (Sat 4/28) giving up to $350 off on MacPro laptops (latest editions), another $50 for students. Pretty good deal considering how seldom they get put on sale at that level.
    Grynch and LoneStar like this.
  11. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    I have both. Big difference is the wind hitting arms and shoulder on the AT.
  12. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    No kidding those never seem to get reductions!

Yes I hope to get a few videos done just showing packing, some gear, a few details on things I use(d) since it's easier to show and tell. I'm heading for Austin in a couple of days, then hitting San Antonio and hooking up with TricePilot, then MotoHank and I plan to hit Mexico for a week or two.

Maybe get some thoughts from Hank on Mexico or whatever. I meet interesting folks on the road and would like to be able to capture their stories without a big production. Picked up a small shotgun mic for the A6000 hotshoe to see how well it works. I'm trying to get a system with "decent" sound and avoid turning it into a big production and additional gear to carry - enough bullshit to deal with on the road as is :lol3
    elron and ONandOFF like this.
  13. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is/are you camera(s) of choice on a trip like this? I am still trying to balance D-SLR’s, Cell Phone Camera’s and just a good point and shoot.

NC

14. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Folly1 and ChicoProf like this.
  15. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    joenuclear likes this.
  16. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now get off my lawn!
  17. LoneStar

Oddometer:
    First little review of the inexpensive phone mount I used in South America (and continue to use)

**I should mention I have bar risers so it's 1.5 or 2" higher than stock position**

Search "GUB G-86" on Amazon (you have to force the search as it will correct it to "gun G-86") but they run about $15 now

I prefer my GPS (backup and main) to be centered so that I don't have to look to either side if possible. Not a big deal just a preference if achievable.

Leaving for Austin tomorrow then Mexico but look forward to being able to start doing some higher production videos soon!
  18. LoneStar

Oddometer:

This Wunderlich Compact USB Adapter has been on the bike almost 2 years and hasn't failed. I believe it's made in the EU and maybe that's why :hmmmmm

Whatever, it works well...

***UPDATE - Wunderlich no longer sells this but you can find similar and also dual versions on Amazon & eBay
  19. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ordered the phone mount, thanks!!
    LoneStar likes this.
  20. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Old Man! :wave

Fun to see some of your gear reviews on here. :thumb

That's an interesting little phone mount that you showed.

I thought I'd include a picture of "The Navigation System" that one of my friends has developed.

[​IMG]

PRETTY DAMNED IMPRESSIVE, HUH? :imaposer

Hope to see you out and about somewhere soon. Holler if you get up this way.

Rob
    KneeDrachen, battdoc, dano619 and 2 others like this.