Long distance review of a Sargent on a 12GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mistercindy, May 16, 2006.

1. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    I installed my Sargent seat on Saturday, April 23. I've since put about 1,500 miles on it, including a 700 mile, three day trip to Galveston and back. A few weeks ago I did a preliminary review of the Sargent where I went over fit, inseam length, flat-footing at stops, etc... Here's that review:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134119&highlight=sargent

But I said I'd do a long distance review after after a May 10-12 ride to Galveston and back. From my home in McKinney, Galveston is 325 miles straight down I45 through Houston. Nothin' fancy, just a straight interstate shot.

In short, the Sargent is way better than stock for a long ride. After an hour on the stocker my butt is hurting at two pressure points, and after two hours the pain is darn near torture. And a ten minute fuel break doesn't help much as my butt would be sore minutes after getting back in the saddle. My 300 mile day experiences with the stock seat were awfully painful to the point that the last 50 miles or so were nearly dangerous since I was constantly standing and shifting my weight.

With the Sargent two hours is a breeze. After two hours there is a bit of a squirm factor, but nothing that a one second stand on the pegs doesn't cure for another 15 minutes. But don't confuse "squirm" with "hurt." At no time did I get monkey butt pain. And the three hundred mile ride was no big deal. We filled up twice (my buddy's range was only 150 miles) and the butt was fresh for another couple hours after the ten minute gas & stretch break. I have no doubt that the Sargent would be just fine for a 500 mile day.
  2. redcastel

redcastel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats it im buying one

next farkle please:D
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience is about the same as yours. I'm still trying to decide if I like the seat all the way down or up in front, down in rear. They're both comfortable, but, it puts your ass in a different place on the saddle. For now, I go both ways:D

Now, about that Aeroflow?! How's that doing now that you've got more miles on it? I know I'll be getting one, it's just a matter of when..
  4. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Is the seat taller or lower than stock?
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's about the same. I don't notice too much difference in height. It has definitely solved the sliding into tank issue....
  6. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    I'm good with it all the way down. For me it works just fine that way. But then, going two ways has never really been my style...:lol3

The Aeroflow is great. I'm glad I have it. The turbulence is 95% reduced. I get mild turbulence when I expect it: at high speed near large 18-wheel rigs or at high speed in very heavy traffic. But its mild. And turbulence from heavy cross winds alone is a thing of the past.

And I'm not in a hot airless bubble. My body gets plenty of clean air, although certainly not as much as before the Aeroflow. Its just that the air is clean rather than dirty.

I like it for commuting, but the Aeroflow really shines on long rides because you can't beat the reduction of fatigue over time since you aren't getting blasted with dirty turbulent air. Its nice.

Also, bugs get plastered above and not on my helmet's shield, which is a good thing. In fact, I often catch myself with the shield up at 50+ MPH. I always lower it because you never now what might blow in your eyes in swirling high speed air. But on hot days its real nice to put the screen up in town at slower speeds and not have your face blasted.

Which reminds me, however, of one odd thing about riding in the rain with the Aeroflow. Since the wind no longer hits my helmet's face shield I need to stand a few inches on the pegs to get enough wind on it to shove off the drops. No biggie, IMHO.

Really, the only drawback to the Aeroflow is that I have to get used to cleaning bugs and crap off of it. I never really noticed it on the smaller stock shield, but the Aeroflow is large enough that a little cleaning when refueling is often in order. That, and the lower portion of the Aeroflow is very tough to clean. A small price, IMHO.
  7. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    That was my biggest concern in buying an aftermarket saddle. But I stand comfortably flat-footed on the Sargent in a nearly identical way as with the stock seat. Its odd since there is more area of seat under your butt so you'd expect it to be taller, but its not. To compensate, the Sargent may be slightly (1/2" or so?) lower than the stocker. BTW, I have the standard Sargent on the lower setting, and I have the standard stocker which I also had on the lower setting. Inseam is 30" to 31".
  8. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a sargent and a corbin for my 1200, got the corbin first as thats what was available at the time. Have to say that the difference for me between the two is, with the sargent after a few hundred miles i'm thinking about the seat, with the corbin the seat never enters my mind.
  9. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean. You like the Corbin better?

I have a Corbin on my R12GS and have been very happy with it. I took a departure from Corbin (I've owned several) with my '03 K1200RS with the Sargent and thought it was a very nice saddle. Sargent also has firm seating, just like I like it. However, the materials weren't as "rich" as the Corbin (IMO).

Curious if you wouldn't mind elaborating on your opinion having owned both...
  10. mmmpies

mmmpies 101 in a 55

Oddometer:
    From Sargent's site:

<table border="1" width="336"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="87"> </td> <td align="center" width="126">STANDARD</td> <td align="center" width="123">LOW</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="middle" width="87">STOCK</td> <td align="center" valign="middle" width="126">33.00" - 33.80"</td> <td align="center" valign="middle" width="123">32.30</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="middle" width="87">SARGENT</td> <td align="center" valign="middle" width="126">33.00" - 33.80"
    WS-546
    </td> <td align="center" valign="middle" width="123">32.00" - 32.80"
    WS-556
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    I'd be wary about their low seat. The trough of the saddle tends to be a bit small for most guys...I used to call mine "The Package Smasher."
  11. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue, I was very impressed with the Sargent fit and finish, but I had to send it back. Just couldn't deal with the smashed package scenario.....:cry
  12. Doons

Doons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had the same experience with my Aeroflow. I bought the bike used with the sheild already installed, so have nothing to compare it to. Just know that I don't have to clean my face sheild at every gas stop.

I also installed a Sargent Seat and just spent 8 days (3k miles) testing it out. My butt would still get a bit sore near days end, but a short break and I was good to go again (for another hour or so). I also noticed that the next morning my backside had fully recovered and was ready for another 350+ mile ride. I have had Cobin seats in the past and they worked great also but I got a really good deal on the Sargent and so far it works just fine.

Off topic a bit, but I also used a "Back-A-Line" belt and found it to be a valuable travel partner. Wish I had gotten one sooner, big difference in back comfort when in the saddle all day.
  13. webwalker

webwalker Monitor monitor

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to thread-jack, but I've been using kidney belts for years. Definately helps with back pain. Try to find a well vented one for hot weather use. In cold weather, wear it on the outside of your heated vest/jacket, and you'll be even warmer! (Got that tip from another poster here :thumb)