Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, we have:
    Hook wrench, aka spanner wrench
    Plug wrench
    Combo 14/17 mm wrench
    Sleeve for Hook Wrench
    Slip Join Pliers
    Combo 10/12 mm wrench
    Combo phillips and slotted screwdriver bit
    Combo 8/10 mm socket.
    [​IMG]

It appears I'm also missing and adaptor for my plug wrench as the top of it is slotted for what I'm guessing would be a right angle handle. All the other ones I've seen in my other kits just have a hole in the side for one of the screwdriver bits.
  2. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. teflon

teflon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i am going to try to repliate this tool kit at my local lowe's/home depot, i will post the results.

thanks!

teflon
  4. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode a Honda 2002 CR 250R today, I gotta say holy shat:eek1. The bike has alot of power, but I did not like the way it delivered the power. The bike was extremly jumpy. Its like "BAM" and the bike just takes off. I did like the power of the bike but I wish that the bike itself just had a smoother delivery of power. Its probably because I have to get used to the bike, but I like the smooth power delivery of the KLX 250s, but I like how much power the Honda had, but not the way it delivers it. If there was a bike that had the power of the Honda, the smooth delivery of it like the KLX, and a price tag like the KLX, well then, that would be one hell of a bike. But for right now I like my KLX better then anything I have ridden so far, of course other then my main street bike, the VTX 1300c, talk about some torque:eek1.
  5. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you done any of the performance mods to your KLX yet?
  6. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just finished a 310 mile trip from the lower trailhead of Tibbs Cycle Trail (Inca Rider knows where that is) to the end of FS 81 along Santeetla Creek, at the eastern terminus of the Cherohola. About 60 miles pavement and 250 miles of FS roads. It was the first time I've had the bike on pavement ever. I had the bike loaded to the gills with stuff, but man was I shocked when I came onto Highway 64, I had to run that west to Highway 30 to Archeville. Litte old ladies were chewing on my tail, and I couldn't corner, I felt like I was going fly off into the Occoe River. By the end of the trip I was tucking down and working the gears and it felt better. I woud like more power for the road. That big strom has me lazy, it doesn't care what gear it's in.

Pic from the turn around point at Santeetlah Creek:
    [​IMG]
  7. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well a proper CR 250 has between 36-40 hp. The KLX barks out a mean 18 I think:rofl . It will take a lot of work to get those numbers. 331 big bore, exhaust and carb will probably do it.

You can mellow the hit on the CR 250 by throwing a flywheel wieght on the end of the crank for 80 bucks. It only takes 10 minutes to put on and really makes it a nice enduro bike with luggable power. Just what you need. 36 HP and a mellow delivery, and it wieghs about 40 pounds less than the KLX.

Good luck
  8. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    You won't get 36 - 40 hp out of the KLX reliably. The CR is a racing bike. A Gas Gas 250 or KTM 250 would be the go as a 2 stroke enduro bike but they are of course more expensive than the KLX. The Gas Gas for instance weighs 102 KG's and has almost 50 HP
  9. Nobiman

Nobiman Orange... the color of insanity.

Oddometer:
    IncaBiker wrote:
    "of course other then my main street bike, the VTX 1300c, talk about some torque:eek1".[/quote]

Yea, I know what'cha mean. Check out the tire that came off of my 1800 with only 6500 miles on it. It did more than its fair share of burn outs whilst the engine was bouncing off of the rev limiter!:lol3
  10. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to do the 300cc upgrade on the KLX250S. I've got the service manual and the procedure doesn't look too awefully bad. However, I've been Googling for some write-ups of the procedure ideally with photos - nothing like a good step-by-step procedure with photos to make the procedure crystal clear. I haven't found anything yet.

Does anyone know of such a write-up? If I can't find one, I'll try and take some photos of mine, but I'd much rather _use_ one already written than to _make_ one.
  11. dirt king

dirt king Luke AFB Arizona

Oddometer:
    hello does any one know if you were looking at the front 14 tooth gear witch way does it come off ----> or <------ and how do i remove it tryed to put a socket on it and stand on the brakes but no help just spun the tire do i need an inpact and does this need torked or can i just tighten the hell out of it 06 klr250s

THANKS
  12. navyman

navyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had originally intended to purchase some Kenda Trackmaster IIs, but changed my mind after reading posts about the 270s on this site and kawasaki fourums. I purchased the 270s expecting off road traction as good or better than the stock tire (dunlop 603). I just mounted them and went for a serious ride over highly technical terrain of varying conditions. I found the tire to have no where near the traction of the 603 (running with 10lbs of pressure on both tires) and feel stupid for not checking into the tire a little more. It seemed to do its worst on hardpacked dirt with a granite sandy surface and only slightly better in the rocks.

The K270 is exactly what it claims to be: a good road tire with limited off road capabilities. Serious off road riders will be disappointed with the tire. I now have Trackmaster IIs on the way - I know the road will eat them, but I'd rather replace the tire more often than lack the tread when I need it.

Here are some examples of what I rode
    [​IMG]
    steep, slick, rocky

[​IMG]
    Steep and rocky

[​IMG]

Slick and rutted

[​IMG]
    (my brother's '95 KLX 250)

and lots of water mixed in with varying conditions.
  13. okiswede81

okiswede81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It comes off counter clockwise. You did flatten the washer on the nut right? (it happens)
  14. sullydirt

sullydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NavyMan,

I have the Trackmaster II's and find it too be a great off road tire. I don't do a lot of street, so it works for me.
  15. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya I have rejetted, I have put on KDX snorkle, and installed a white bros. exhaust. Let me tell you the bike is much more powerful then before, but it still does not come close to the CR 250 that I rode, that bike was nuts.
    Only problems I had with the honda was the fact that the power was "BAM" and it hits damn hard, was not smooth, but I feel its because I have to get used to it,. The other thing is the fact that I can't just jump on the bike in my garage and go riding out the garage, onto the road, and 10 miles to the trails. If I got a motocross bike then I would be stuck riding only motocross tracks and places where you have to pay to ride, thats the only reason I even went with the KLX, because of its capability to "Legally" Go everywhere. I couldn't load a motocross bike and take it up to the mountains of N. Georgia and ride around without getting my bike confiscated by the rangers.
  16. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's been quite the opposite of my experience with them. Where I ride here in central NC with wooded trails on soft loamy soil, Carolina red clay hard-pack when dry and slick as ice when wet, the K270 has far surpassed the stock 603 on every surface I have been on EXCEPT the road. Since the K270 is a harder, longer wearing compound than the sticky 603, it doesn't grip the road as well. That doesn't affect me since I don't ride aggressive on the road - mostly just to and from trails and my commute to and from work. But I still like the K270 better on the road because of its smoother ride. So there's not one place where I feel the stock 603 is better choice than the K270.

Anytime you make a purchase you should be aware of how you are going to use it and how well it fits with your conditions and don't come around blaming other people for not taking that into account.

I will say that after nearly 1000 miles on the K270s I'm still happy with them and would have no reservation replacing them with another set when these wear down.

I guess our reviews sort've cancel each other out - folks will have to decide for themselves (which they should do anyway!).

Cheers,
    -Brian
  17. navyman

navyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nobrakes, you seem to feel I'm picking on you. I'm not. Did I single you out? No. I simply said I changed my mind after reading about the 270. Lighten up, I thought we were here to share helpful information. :huh

Here is the deal: I 've never had a dual sport bike and I never looked into tread before. As an off-road rider I went with hard compound (long lasting) aggressive tread (traction) tires.

As I looked into the Kenda 270 tires I thought "Hmmm, more rubber down the middle for better road traction with aggressive knobs surrounding for off road. All of this in a long lasting hard compound at a reasonable price? Great!" I never bothered to check with anyone else about some of the principles of traction.

It was laid out for me today by a long suffering tire guy: More tread in the middle = better road performance, longer lasting tire on the road, and worse dirt performance. Less of a solid tread bead in the middle = worse road performance, shorter road life, and better dirt performance. After describing the tires (make/model) to him, he explained that I should have known by the compounds and tread pattern that the 270 would offer less performance off road. He also said a smoother middle bead offers less opportunity for traction in off road applications.

These were things that would have been good to know before buying a tire. After speaking with him and describing the locations I ride and the style of riding I do, he suggested the dunlop 606. I'll have them on order soon and I've cancelled my trackmasters. I wasn't pot shotting your appreciation of your tires, I was trying to prevent someone else like me from making my mistake. That is why I posted the pics. If you don't ride aggressively in conditions like what I posted above, you may have a different outcome - I don't know.
  18. Mr.Grumpy

Mr.Grumpy Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Navy Man,

I'm not sure what the beef is. I useually only check in on this thread from time to time to see how the new Cult Bike is doing. I just wanted you to know that I have never hear the Kenda 270 refered to as a Trackmaster. AFAIK the Trackmasters are 760s and are a much more agressive dirt tire than the 270. I have run them on the back with various MTs on the front (16,18 AND 21 fronts are all DOT lega: I like the 16s myself) and have been very pleased with them. So, if you have "Trackmasters" on order let it ride and try them out. They are cheep enough that if you don't like them you can set them on fire and throw them into the nearest landfill and have some big fun.
  19. navyman

navyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No beef with the trackmaster IIs, I had just put them on order this morning and cancelled when the local tire guy taught me about tread and made a suggestion about what tire to ride in this area with the style/type of riding I'll do (dunlop's 606). The 270s offer a bit less traction than I require as they are a 50/50 tire and I need more off-roadability.
  20. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the TrackMaster II tread? No doubt this is the tire you want. I think the Dunlop 606 is not going to be quite as aggressive as the TrackMaster II but is still probably a good tire. See post 871 of this thread by nobiman.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2481489&postcount=871

BTW, it sure did seem that you singled me out since I've been the only one here or on KF to post photos and give a report on the Kenda 270's (that I'm aware of). But I have no beef and am always "lightened up" :D I too thought this was about sharing information and I'll continue to do so. Take it for what it is, my opinion based on my experience. Like everything everyone else here posts as well. I do my best to post accurate information and not embellish anything - I have no stake in Kenda or any other company. I bought the Kenda's based on recommendations by others and have not been disappointed. Your experience differs, fine - you gotta post it, that's your duty.

I too have bought products that I've seen endorsed by folks here as well as over on KF and at least one of which I thought was a big waste of money. Fortunately it was not a large expense, but if it was a large expense I might have done a little more research before laying down my money for it. But I did not post a followup telling folks the information was bad from the original poster when that could only have been one person and easily identifiable, especially since it probably works great for them and they were being honest. So, yes, I did feel a little singled out, but not too offended - just felt I needed to follow-up. No hard feelings.

As I've mentioned before, I do like to experiment with various components and next time around I will probably try a different tire, perhaps the 606. However, I do like the 270's very much and have absolutely no complaints after nearly 1000 miles.

New:

[​IMG]

After 1000 miles:

[​IMG]

So with that wear rate, it's most likely going to be a while before I need to a replacement :D