Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Navyman, I didn't think Nobrakes post came across as picking on anybody ... JMO.

I do apreciate your writeup of the Kendas because the terain you described is similar what I ride on and I was thinking about the Kenda 270's. You have made me rethink that and I'm grateful.

Cheers

Garry
  2. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see.

I took my new D-tracker (supermoto version of KLX250) through some mountain twisties couple of days ago and had a blast. All in all, I think it handled the gearing pretty well in stock form. I'm still looking to unplug it as soon as possible though. The pipe brand my dealer is trying to peddle (Nassert) is way too expensive, but I've found a website that sells STAINTUNE brand, which seems to be very well made for a more reasonable price, and unlike the Muzzy system, the muffler is stainless steel. I'll get the Dynajet kit from the dealer since that's more convenient. As far as the air intake goes, I will definitely go with a different snorkle rather than pulling the lid, because I don't want to deal with the induction noise.
  3. navyman

navyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nobrakes, were you the only one? I thought there were others that recommended the tire as well. Anyrate, I certainly didn't have any ill intent when posting and I apologize for making you feel singled out. :freaky
  4. navyman

navyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think Nobiman and I might share a similar passion for off road traction. Why not start with the trackmasters? Good looking out, thanks Nobrakes.
  5. sullydirt

sullydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Navyman, I have the trackmaster II's and feel that they are superior to the stock dunlops in the dirt. They are very affordable and maybe you can keep the 270's for street like you mentioned.
  6. navyman

navyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sullydirt, I believe I'll do just that.
  7. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    :beer
  8. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too like the Staintune and am just trying to get a second hand one but I might have to bite the bullet and get new. The stainless steel is just too nice and I like not having to repack it. Oh yeah it's aussie made
    Cheers
    Garry

P.S. we need pix of your DTracker ...... NOW :D .... please ...
  9. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heres one at the top of a road that has some nice, sweeping corners.

Attached Files:

10. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At Lake Towada in the middle of the Hakkoda Range.

Attached Files:

11. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:

Damn that bike is sweet. Where do you live again, I don't understand why we don't have these kind of bikes imported to the united states. Again nice bike:clap
  12. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I live in Northern Japan. This bike has a much different feel than my previous 2 machines (CBR-1100XX and YZF-1000R); just pick the best gear and carve away the corners effortlessly with no worries about giving it too much throttle in corners or over bumps. You could really feel the weight of those bigger bikes in the tighter corners.

The D-tracker handles it all with no problem. I haven't found pavement with pegs...yet :D. Boy this a fun machine. I don't miss the power of the liter bikes as much as I thought I would, although I'd probably miss that type of thing more in the states.
  13. okiswede81

okiswede81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know why either. It would also be nice if we could order the plastic off that bike. Like that rear fender and light assy. and those wheels too.

So how does that bike ride tremor38?
  14. tipstall

tipstall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike.
  15. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright guys we're on 100 pages:D.
    So let me ask you guys this, if this thumper is well taken care of, how long do you think this bike will last us for?? Considering that its churning out some really high rpm's, how long do you think we got before we start having engine trouble? Hopefully never, but thats wishful thinking for any motorcycle.
  16. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trouble starts as soon as you buy another bike and start neglecting it :D You don't know anyone that's happened to do you? And then when they took the poort neglected KLX out for a sympathy ride parts just started falling off? Hmmm? :wave
  17. tipstall

tipstall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is hard to switch from the KLX to the R1150R. The R is no speed demon but has tons of torque. The KLX lacks any big punch. The bike is a blast around town and off road. It has enough motor, with the simple mods, to be resonable offroad. At 200 lbs mine does not loft the front wheel with ease but you can get it very light. It's just hard to switch between bikes. In the perfect world this thing would come with a 400 in it.
  18. speedmaster

speedmaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you’re legitimately concerned I would look to other <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Kawasaki</st1:City></st1:place> 250 cc bikes as an indication, although the KLX250S has an “updated engine” I have read about Sherpas and KLR250 with 20000 miles and no problems.
    It really will depend on use and or abuse as well as maintenance as to how long an individual bike lasts, but I suspect if its not hitting the red line prior to every shift and is maintained well and per the manufacturers recommendations it will last as long as a KLR 250 or Sherpa.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Regards,
    Jim:1drink
  19. Incabiker

Incabiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahahah, that was good no-brakes, you caught me red handed:lol3. I got to get the new chain and we will be as good as new. My poor neglected KLX, its back in action though, I had a blast on it that day, way more fun then I did on my road bike. I like the VTX because I can jump on it and go to north georgia without loading in my truck, wish the KLX could do that, I would get run over by an 18 wheeler though at some point. But the KLX is just a go anywhere monster, and that thing handles the curves WAY better then the VTX, I'm talking I wouldn't even be sweating the dragons tail on that thing and would have been doing much better then on the VTX. But the VTX is a torque monster, man that thing just GOES......
  20. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't hear about your Dragon trip, Inca - do tell :lurk