Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be surprised if you get a dealer to modify your bike. Any modification to emission equipment including pipes, muffler, and carb is considered to be tampering by the EPA. The fine for tampering is $10k per occurance. An occurance is any day you ride your modified bike on the street (in the USA). So if you ride your modified bike on the street on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, the fine could be $30k.

Starting in 2006, the EPA mandated motorcycle emissions be reduced about 75%. Prior to 2006, the EPA left motorcycle emissions requirements unchanged since about 1980.

The big question is will the EPA enforce the tampering law now that emission regs have gotten much stricter. If I was a dealer I wouldn't take a chance. In fact I probably wouldn't even work on your modified bike and/or honor the warranty.

I don't mean to rain on your parade - just thought I'd give you something to think about.
  2. KLX X 2

KLX X 2 Randy

Oddometer:
    Good Luck with your search for a new KLX. Here in Ontario Dealers were sold out of these Sweet bikes by half way through May. I had one dealer try to talk me out of the KLX only to find out he could not get any. I was lucky to find a Bike shop with two for my wife and I.

Randy
  3. teflon

teflon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey everyone,

thanks for the info and the replies. i remember when i picked up the bike at the dealership, i mentioned how quiet it is. the owner told me "oh we can fix that for you with a pipe".

where i live in CT there are SO VERY MANY 2 strokes, quads, pocket bikes, mini bikes and other ILLEGAL 2 wheels vehicles going everywhere - that no one is going to notice/check/care about my bike and how loud it is or environmentally friendly it is or isn't.

not to mention that i believe in there is a decibel law - but factor in HD bikes virtually NEVER being within that limit and my assumption is that if the cops want to pinch me then they have to pinch every HD and streek bike around.

that being said, if i ask the dealer to put on an exhaust system without doing anything else - what results, if any can i expect?

what smog stuff can i get rid of? i know there are a lot of restrictions and i would like to get rid of them. any advice/how to's?

and guys, thanks again - this formum rocks!

and so do klx250s's!

teflon
  4. jeepphamilee

jeepphamilee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most pipe manufactures have to stay with-in a certain Db level for on and off road applications. I have a Muzzy full exhuast with out the quite core insert... it isn't "legal" for street use but no one cares, I was sitting at a light and talking to one of the two motorcycle cops in Abilene and he made no mention of the note of my loud ass pipe. I am guessing it is a little over 100Db @ 3K RPMs, I think with the QC insert it is in the low 90's. I like the loudness and will deal with the consiquenses as the come. As for preformance with just the pipe, you won't notice much... a little increase but hardly noticeable. There a is a couple posts on here about the smog removal, it takes all of three minutes to do, I hestitate to give you instruction on it because I don't know the names of all the parts and would probably confuse you with my lack of knowlege. Do a search on this thread for smog removal or free mods and I am sure you will have no problem finding the "correct" info. This thread is getting HUGE, maybe we should start another mods thread or something for easier access of info?

I know that Nobiman has posted about the smog removal with pictures:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2439359&highlight=smog#post2439359
  5. Quasi-Moto

Quasi-Moto n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi folks
    New member here. I've read the whole thread ::whew!:: over the past few days and I really like the idea of this bike. I really wish the D-Tracker moto version of it were available in the USA. Since it isn't, I just wonder what the difference is. Stiffer suspension? Different gearing? etc. What would it take to convert one? Why do they run a smaller wheel? Do they use a longer fork to make up the loss in height? I have a 29" inseam so a smaller front wheel might be good for lowering the bike anyway. I guess I really don't want a straight up super motard race bike, maybe just want to get Quasi-Motarded up.

-Roo
  6. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in Japan and have the 'motard version' (D-Tracker).
    I far as coverting goes, it should be a snap. Front and rear calipers and rotors are the exact same on both bikes. The only extra thing you would have to buy (other than tires and wheels) is the rear sprocket which has less teeth. If you would like to find out more info on the wheels and sprocket, my dealer here in Japan treats me like a king. If I ask him he'll get me the answer. There should be another Kawi model that uses the same wheels.

The suspension is exactly the same. In fact, people that seriously race these in Supermoto actually stiffen it up and decrease the travel somewhat. Seat height is almost an inch lower on the D-tracker (stock), so I don't think they've messed with the fork clamps or dog bones. They simply bolted on the wheels and left the suspension as is which would account for the .8 inch(20mm) drop in seat height.

In answer to the "smaller wheel" question, have you looked at many street bikes? They're almost all 17 inch. Even the ZRX1200 has 17 inch wheels on front and rear. Most dirt bikes have a 21" front and 18 or 19 inch rear.

Peace!
  7. teflon

teflon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reliable info.

I feel as you do, no one is going to care about the volume. for me, it's perfect because i want sound over performance increase. plus if it becomes a hassle you could put the quite core in.

Now for a dumb question, does "rejetting" come into play?

In city riding, those mods don't really come into play because it is obviously a totally different kind of ride compared to how you'd make your new klx rip offroad.

but for me i am screwed - there's do damn dirt or woods to ride in in southern connecticut.

but when i find some off road locations to ride, then i can start my mod quest then and most definitely enjoy every minute of it.

out!
    teflon

8. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Quasi I took these pix of a KX250F supermoto, thought you might like to see them as the KX and KLX are brothers :wink:

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/MavsPics/?action=view&current=727e5389.jpg
    http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/MavsPics/?action=view&current=652751a1.jpg
    http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/MavsPics/?action=view&current=8ec0c610.jpg
    both rins are 17"</IMG>
  9. Quasi-Moto

Quasi-Moto n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the info and pictures folks. Now I see that it is relativley easy to convert to a nimble little road bike. If I had two sets of wheels and tires, I wonder how quickly it could be converted between the two types e.g., 17" F/R to stock and back. The reason I ask is I have friends that go 4-wheeling once or twice a month and I'd want to follow along on this bike too but I know the street tires wont do. I'm starting to get excited about this bike even if I never convert it to super-moto.

-Roo

--
    Up a coal dust covered hog path.
    WV, USA
  10. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as you had the street rims put on stock KLX250 hubs it should be a snap (bolt-on). The only question mark would be chain length because the sprocket is smaller on the street version. I don't know if the adjuster has enough range to cover both. HOWEVER, if you used the dirt sprocket (or something close to it) on both that wouldn't be an issue. :clap
  11. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
  12. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    good luck
  13. backwoods

backwoods Field & Stream

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me where I can order an aftermarket header pipe that will fit the stock muffler?

backwoods
  14. sullydirt

sullydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, there's a guy on the Kawasaki forum that won it the last auction for $3500 and apparantly didn't pay. $3500 would be a good deal. The fuel tank could be switched to a Aceribis or IMS. If you wanted to keep it stock, you could probably buy a tank from one of the guys here who have upgraded tanks.

Are you in FL? I would see if you can inspect the bike first. The forks look straight in the pictures, but he may have tweaked something.

Mike
  15. charleshmosesii

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response, Mike. Any idea why that guy didn't pay, was it related to dissatisfaction with the bike condition?

I wish I could go see it first, but its 4-5 hours away and I don't have time before the auction ends. I would probably work out a deal with the seller (post-auction win) telling him that I'll pay him the balance upon arrival after I inspect the bike for pickup, and if something else is wrong that he didn't tell me about then I can back out.

How would I tell if the forks are tweaked?

Yeah, I'd swap out to a bigger aftermarket plastic tank anyway, so I was actually happy with the tank ding bringing down the price for me! :D
  16. sullydirt

Oddometer:
    His winning bid was $3500. As far as I know he never saw the bike. I'm guessing he wanted the bike, but didn't have the funds? Happens a lot on Ebay. It sounds like the seller is frustrated, it's at least $50 every time he posts the auction.

If I were you, I would contact him, tell him you're serious and ask him to e-mail you a disclosure stating that there is nothing else wrong with the bike, and agrees to refund deposit upon inspection. If he's honest he'll agree to that.

As far as the forks, I think just a visual inspection and a short ride should tell you if somethings wrong.

$3500 bucks would be a great deal. I love mine, it's a fun trail bike.

Off topic: I see you have a Dakar. I just bought an '03 last week. I was thinking of taking a ride to the west coast in the next few weeks, maybe Crystal River. Let me know if you want to meet up some time.

Mike
  17. charleshmosesii

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice (esp. since my ebay experience is lacking).

Yep, I have a Dakar, my commuter + fun bike right now. I love that thing, will always keep it. Putting TKC-80s on it end of week! :clap Now I need to learn how to stop crashing it in the sand :rofl. I'll PM you with my contact info in case you come this way.
  18. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Mike didn't tell you is the "buyer" is a idiot who is more than likely a 14 yo just looking to piss someone off
  19. sullydirt

Oddometer:
    Hehe,

Actually, I did tell him Mav. I PM'd him with that info, I guess it's no secret though.
  20. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mav,

Is it because he did not buy the KLX250?

Kind of interested to know you thoughts on this.