Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Kawi-Wawi

Kawi-Wawi BC Bushwakka

Oddometer:
    The "buyer" in question has been stirring up sh*t on kawasakiforums.com in the KLX250S forum... He's been posting there for a few weeks, and lately making some really stupid and offensive posts. (I'm almost convinced now that he's just a troll and has no interest in dirt biking).
  2. backwoods

backwoods Field & Stream

Oddometer:
    I just completed the carb mods: #125 main jet, #40 pilot jet, remove smog crap, crank case vent with KDX snorkel and UNI air filter, N1TC needle and 2nd position, 2.5 turns out on fuel/air screw, drilled out 1st baffle, drilled slide 7/64ths.

Not a major diffrence. I wasn't expecting a diffrent bike but I thought it would be more noticable. Anyway, when I come to a stop in traffic or on the trail, the motor will stall out(stop running) on me. Idle is set OK. Can someone tell if the #40 pilot should be switched back to stock #35, or what elese could be the problem. Help needed. All replies appreciated

backwoods
  3. sullydirt

sullydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember someone else reporting a similar problem. You may want to turn the pilot screw in 1/2 to 1 turn. You should be able to do that without pulling the carb. Just loosen the carb clamps, and turn to the side.

Mike
  4. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same mods except the smog removal and that I'm running the 250D exhaust which doesn't have a catalytic converter and the outlet is as big around as the headpipe which I made a baffle to reduce it down to 3/4" and I noticed mine idled lower but haven't had it die out on me. I just rode a bit and readjusted the idle. Oh I don't have the Uni filter either. Have you checked your plug lately?
  5. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to go and say something, during a 40 mile road ride tonight the last few stop signs I came to I noticed the idle was kinda low sounding, it was low 1000's probably, it was just of 1k on the dial so I fiddled with the idle some more. I think it may be a case of being too rich on the fuel screw as stated by sullydirt. I'm debating on riding to work tomorrow now .
  6. Nobiman

Nobiman Orange... the color of insanity.

Oddometer:
    2 things, possibly, that I see here. In the first place, your not gonna reap all of the benefits of the carb/air box/smog mods with the stock silencer on your bike. No matter what you do to it (the silencer). It is just to restrictive. Secondly, the FMF (Dyno jet) jet kit that I got for our 250 did not include a pilot jet and that kit is really for the KLX 300, so I doubt that a pilot jet change is needed. A pilot jet controls your idle circuit, from closed throttle to about 1/4 throttle. First try screwing your fuel air screw back in 1/2 turn at a time with your motor fully warmed up, until it either idles correctly or lightly bottoms out. Doing this is leaning out the idle circuit mixture. If it idles at 3/4 of a turn out or less, I would put the stock pilot jet back in, because now you have no room for adjustment if ever you should need it. If it bottoms out without ever idling correctly, put the stock pilot back in and adjust until you have the highest idle, then turn it in 1/4 of a turn the other way and leave it (which should be around 2.5 turns out). I just re-read your post and see that you have your needle circlip on the 2nd slot from the top, my kit called for the clip to be in the 4th "from" the top with all stock spacers in use. I dont know if we have the same needle or not, (mine is listed as a DNO352 in the kit) so I dont know if yours would be the same or not there.

Just as soon as you can afford to do so, can that stock exhaust and you will realize the full potential of your bike. :wink:

Good luck, Randy.
  7. Alleycat

Alleycat "03"

Oddometer:
    Just a pic of the bike up to date...
  8. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    Schweet, AlleyCat. :getiton

Coming soon to the KLX threads near you...a new Florida, USA KLX250S owner!

:wings

Hey, can anyone tell me these dimensions?
    1. Total height of the bike from bottom of wheel to top of handlebar
    2. Total width of the bike from handlebar end to end

Thanks and talk to you all "soon"...! :ricky

Peace,

Charles
  9. sullydirt

Oddometer:
    Yahoo, another Florida KLX! As far as I know on the forum it's Marty in Umatilla, Stiffler in Panama City and myself in Palm Coast. BTW, Marty is about half way between us and he's a stone's throw from Ocala National Forest with plenty of trails.

I'm working from home, so I just went in the garage and took some measurements.

Height 47" (highest point on handlebar)
    Width 33"

Are you thinking about picking it up with a van?
  10. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    I'm very late to this thread..

How would this bike do as an Enduro bike? It seems heavy for a 250.

I ride a husky 450 but my friend is in the market for a bike and I want him to be able to ride dual sports and enduros with me. He wants to be able to finance the bike and also wants a cheap bike.

How does this bike stack up against the drz400? I never seen a new KLX 250 at the dealer, how long would it take to get one in?

Thanks,
  11. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    You rock, thanks man, that was fast.

Hey, I saw a KLX250S rider 1 mile from my house yesterday at a stop light...there are more out here...

My main plans are to ride it home, but...my girlfriend is driving me there (200 miles away maybe?) and driving back by herself, and she is on a schedule, and I am not on a schedule. The selfish response to her was "I'm riding it home, must go slow because its in break-in period, I'll take backroads, take all day -- you go ahead at speed without me". Not a fun thought for her to go back by herself. So...I'm placating that by seeing if the KLX will stuff into my Toyota Landcruiser! But with those measurements...it won't. "But love, it won't fit in there, sorry." :1drink
  12. 1iviper

1iviper n00b

Oddometer:
    if you ride it home remember to vary the rpm's,not just take it slow.also stop and let it cool down from time to time,during break in you're also seating the valves.change the oil as soon as you can if the previous owner already hasn't done so.

or you could rent a small uhaul trailer so the misses doesn't have to drive home alone in a hurry.

congrats on winning the bike,you'll love it.
  13. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I visited my local Kawi dealer for my 1600km scheduled maintenance and was asking him about various mods and the difference they made.

Every time I visit, he tells me "take a ride on mine anytime," so this time I took him up on it. He races his D-tracker in 250cc class supermoto here in Japan. His bike is outfitted with a full race version Nassert exhaust system and I think he's running a .130 main jet.

The first thing I noticed was how much more responsive this bike is when unplugged. I fanned through the first four gears in nothing flat and the bike was above 100kph before I knew it. I'd say the most noticeable difference was how much quicker the acceleration was through the first four gears. After that, the difference isn't quite as pronounced, but I did notice that it continued to pull into the higher RPMs were my stock bike doesn't. He did say that he'd done an ignition mod that set his rev limiter a bit higher.

The exhaust is not quiet (99db), so I managed to get a glare from some old man walking along the street.

I brought up the 300cc mod, but he said he prefers to stay with 250 because the 300cc bike's power curve flattens out at high RPMs whereas the 250 countinues pull into the higher revs.
  14. skootercee

skootercee GOT MUDD!

Oddometer:
    My bike has been in the shop now for 1 month due to a voltage reg gone bad. The dealer said it was on back order so i'm waiting! Am I the only one.:pep
  15. okiswede81

okiswede81 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey tremor,

the next time you go and see your local kawi-san, could you take a few pics of his bike so that some of us can have a good look at what he is riding?

Thanks
  16. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Kawi-Wawi said
  17. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I call - BS. Sounds more like a carburetor adjustment problem to me.
  18. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure thing.
  19. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure about that. "Dealer" means an entirely different thing here in Japan. This guy is a mechanic as well as a salesman. He races the D-tracker (klx250 supermoto version) and has run all manner of performance mods (including many 300cc kits) of this bike on his dyno.

From a technical standpoint, I would be inclined to believe him because I think a higher performance cam would be needed in order to keep the 300cc version pulling as well into the higher RPMs.

You could still be right, but unless you've run a 300cc kit on a dyno, there's is no way to tell...unless you have an aftermarket RPM gauge on your bike.

All that said, I think I would still prefer the 300cc kit, because the added torque will be more useful on the street and I don't camp out in the upper RPM range like he does on the race track. :1drink
  20. sullydirt

Oddometer:
    Charles,

Did you pick up the KLX? How was the 200 mile ride home?

Mike