Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent first post 5pointer.
  2. KLX X 2

KLX X 2 Randy

Oddometer:
    No thats not the Grand River. < I do live across the road from the Grand though> The photo was taken in a near by town by the name of "AYR". I think that is the "NITH" river.

Randy
  3. KLX X 2

KLX X 2 Randy

Oddometer:
    Ok one new photo of wife. You can tell who takes all the pictures< GRiN>

Randy
  4. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bridge looks very similar to the one over the Grand, east of #89 between Guelph and Elmira. I've been to Ayr, I'll have to check out the Nith river sometime.
  5. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great index, 5pointer!
  6. YYY-GUY

YYY-GUY Back in the saddle ...

Oddometer:

Hey Randy!

I first saw the KLX250 when I brought my KLR-250 in for servicing, and the Service Manager told me about the "X" but didn't have one on the floor. He checked and someone had theirs in for servicing ... and it was love at first sight!

Long story --> short: GoodTime Center said they can't find anything anywhere by the end of July, and the '07 model would probably be coming in only towards the end of August :cry. I kept calling around and the owner at Rockland Wheels says he found an '06 that could probably be here in 2-3 days. The dealer is going to call in on Monday to see if it can be delivered within the week, in which case I'll be drooling on my new gas tank instead of my keyboard!!!

BTW - I don't think there's any difference between the '06 and the '07 ... does anybody know differently?

Mike
  7. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm already sold on the 300cc upgrade...it's just my dealer that is not. He is a purist who lives on the motard track at around 10,000RPM. I just need more power on the street for tackling twisties on a healty incline.
  8. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill posted this earlier in the thread in response to my question about the pumpers. It seems that a slightly modded TM-33 does the trick. Text below.

Quote:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Originally Posted by Bill & Jo Ann Blue<o:p></o:p>
    Hello all <o:p></o:p>
    I put a 33 mm Mikuni flat slide pumper carb on my wife's KLX 250 a couple weeks ago. I have ben using these carbs on several of our bikes for the past 7 years. Yes, some modifications will need to be performed on the carb to make it fit. I made adaptor rings for both ends, which made it fit like the stock CV carb. I also offset the carb .020 thousandths & bored it out one mm larger, which makes it a 34 mm. <o:p></o:p>
    It made a lot of difference in the performance of the bike. <o:p></o:p>
    By the way the carb I use is off of the "94" Suzuki DR350 dirt bike. I still use both push & pull cables.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Ride Safe <o:p></o:p>
    Bill & Jo Ann<o:p></o:p>
  9. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    I exchanged a few e-mails with Bill a while back and he offered to modify the TM33 for me at minimal cost. What a guy! You can't beat that deal!

But I've been doing some research and feel that the Keihin FCR 35 will be a better match for my 300cc endowed KLX. So to make things easy on myself, I went with the already jetted and ready to install unit from Four Stroke Works. I spoke with Jerry Leighton (formerly Stroker - the KLX experts) there this morning and he was extremely knowledgeable with our KLX250S and definitely steered me away from the TM36 though he did say it would work OK with the 300cc bike, but would not be optimal. He was not pressuring me in any way to buy the more expensive carb, in fact he was very free with advice to get the most out of the stock CV carb that was already on the bike without me even sending a dime his way. At any rate, he sells the Keihin FCR 35mm set up and configured for our bikes with slightly modified connections in order to clear the starter motor. He also jets it to a reasonable starting point after taking the time to discuss what you want out of it, how you ride, etc, etc. That's worth the extra money to me vs buying just a bare FCR and trying to figure all that out myself as I don't claim any expertise in carburetor setup and tuning.

It'll be a few weeks before I get it, though. I'll post a report once I get it installed and put some miles on it. I can't wait!
  10. Nobiman

Nobiman Orange... the color of insanity.

Oddometer:
    That index should be after Todds first post. Nice job 5pointer! Help us out please Mr. moderator.:wink:

Randy.
  11. YYY-GUY

Oddometer:
    I'd like to announce that I'm no longer a "lurker"!

Called the dealer this morning to pass along some details and see if they've had a chance to check on availability (I was only going to buy if they guaranteed delivery by end of July), and they told me the bike was already on its way and would be at the dealer this afternoon. My jaw dropped :eek1 !!!

Just came back from the dealer and saw my new baby, and she'll be ready to bring home tomorrow morning! The bad news is they're forecasting thunderstorms from now through Thursday, so my baby probably won't be home until Friday. I think I'll be crying a storm until she's sitting in my garage instead of the dealers!!!

I still have about 60 pages of this thread to go through, so maybe I'm just re-opening an already open can of worms, but I'll ask anyway:

What's the concensus for breaking these babies in:
    A) Follow the manafacturer's recommendations (< 4K RPM for 1st 500 miles, etc.); or
    B) Full throttle out the dealer's door (i.e.: constant hard accelleration & decelleration for the first 20 miles, then go as you please afterwards)

Already have a couple a quarts of oil and filters for the oil changes -- should those go according to the options A and B above as well?

God, how will I survive until Friday?!??

Mike S.
  12. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drool just looking at pictures of that Keihin! I'll definitely stay tuned for your results.
  13. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm partial to the hard accel/decel. Ya gotta let those rings take a good set. Keep in mind that can be accomplished without sending the RPM super screeming high....athough 4000rpm is ridiculously low to me. Whatever method you end up using, don't stay at a steady RPM...the rings definitely won't take a good set that way and you might become so bored that you fall asleep
  14. YYY-GUY

Oddometer:
    Well, God was good to me and held off the rain for a bit, so I was able to sneak in to the dealer today and bring my new baby home! :clap

I opted for the Mototune / Hard Acceleration method. After about 2-3 minutes of idling in the dealer lot to let it warm up, the whole ride home was constant acceleration or deceleration. Engine was running mostly between 5K-7K RPM, with a few "bursts" up to 8K when accelerating through the lower gears. Aside from a loose turn indicator (noticed it shortly after leaving the dealer), nothing exploded, broke, fell off, or burst into flames, so I guess that's a good sign!

The clutch was a little different than I was used to, but one thing I can tell you ... This isn't your father's KLR!!!

More later after I change the oil!

Mike
  15. YYY-GUY

Oddometer:
    Oil & filter are changed, and "The X" is tucked away nicely for the night. Thanks again to everyone for writing their experiences and posting pictures ... I've only had the "X" for less than 6 hours, but there's already a certain familiarity.

For anyone who's interested, the attached photo is the last sighting of my trusty (but horrably outdated) "R" with my new bike in the background.

Sorry for the picture quality, I was in a hurry to get to the dealer and back before the rain came, that all I brought was my Palm Zire 72 (Max. resolution is 1280x960, but no flash, and about the same quality as a cellphone camera.)

I have some parts on order at the dealer (13T sprocket, airbox snorkel, & Dynojet kit), so I'll probably see the "R" on his showroom floor by then. I'll bring my camera along when my order comes in to at least take a proper parting shot.

Later dudes & dudettes!

Mike

Attached Files:

16. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    Congrats Triple Y GUY!:lol3 .....and enjoy your new bike! :clap

Randy.
  17. YYY-GUY

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randy!

Hey, just to save you a couple keystrokes:

"Triple Y GUY" --> "Y's Guy" --> "Wise Guy"

But "Mike" is even fewer. :D
  18. sullydirt

sullydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats Y's-Guy!

Are you keeping the KLR?
  19. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    Ahh......very original, wize guy.

Good thing there are no K's involved.......................(KYGUY?):eek1

:wink:
  20. teflon

teflon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey YYY,

I just got mine too and i am damn glad i did. i am down in Connecticut and i doubt i will see another around for a while.

as far as break in, i went with the cautious route, keeping the rpm's down for the first initial 100 miles. that meant nothing above 5-6k.

right now i have about 300 miles on it and i still baby her a little bit, but as you will soon find out, the low gears are so low. first is so damn low, it is really hard NOT to get on the gas...

at the dealer they told me to "ride it normally" and once in a while to blip the thottle (rpms) but not to go crazy with it.

so far so good, the thing is if riding it hard out of the gate means if that is bad you cant go back, but if babying it is not good you can remedy it by ripping the next time you ride.

i think it is a matter of opinion, intuition and common sense.

what i want to know is, what, if any are the effects of having the valves seat improperly (whether by revving to hard or not hard enough). how do you "tell" you chose the wrong method.

finally, the owners manual says BABY IT. so in the end that is what i decided to do, for puposes of keeping the warranty in tact if nothing else.

GAS MILEAGE REPORT:

i ride 100% city to and from work about 4 miles each way and so far i gotten about 90+ miles per TANK. can anyone confirm this? i am putting in the most expensive gas at each fill, which is 93 octane (and laughing at all the dudes with navigators and SUV's at the pump).

2 cents dept:

i love this bike. i rode an 88 KLR 250 for 15 years and this bike is faster, leaner and much more narrow, which is what i love the most. i rode my klr 6+ months out of each year, kept it in a wooden toolshed in the freezing connecticut winters, changed the oil and filter each spring and THAT'S IT. and that bike ran bulletproof. so, i imagine with at least the same care my klx is going to give many many good years. the only other thing i did about every 5 years was have the dealer do a tune up.

future dept:

i am leaning towards the muzzy, but the big gun is easier to get, but (ahem dumb question warning) what else will the dealer do when putting on a new exhaust system? i don't know what to ask for when i go to the dealer and i want to make sure that everything y'all reccomend gets done. thanks in advance.

passenger dept:

finally got my wife to go for a ride (about 20 miles in total). i am 140lbs 5'6 and my wife is 105lbs 5'2. the bike pulled just fine, but that's not really accurate since i am still in the BABY THE RPM mode. but i imagine if i got on the gas it would respond. the footpegs were actually in a better position for her than they were on my old klr (much higer) but smaller overall. anyone else have a passenger/footpeg tidbit?

gripe dept:

the igition is WAY too cramped for any kind of keychain, etc. i hate putting the key in and finding a way to get to come back out! anyone else?

that's it for now. ride safe everyone.

teflon