Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Teflon,
    I took mine to reserve for the first time today and got 111 miles. With a 7.5 liter stock tank, I calculate tank dry mileage at about 150 miles. There are some differences with my bike though because it is the motard model (D-tracker, sold only in Japan) which has less teeth on the rear sprocket. My engine and exhaust are still stock. When I finished my ride home from work today, I laughed out-loud thinking about how much fun I'm having while getting 76MPG!
  2. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my Kawi service manual supplement it is for both the D-Tracker and the KLX and it lists the power numbers. For the KLX its runs 15 PS (I don't know these units but it also lists kilowatts which I know the rough conversion for) and the D-Tracker is listed at 28 PS. Anyone know what the difference is between the 2 that gives the D almost double the power? If anyone is interested I could scan that page of the manual after work today.
  3. Nobiman

Nobiman Orange... the color of insanity.

Oddometer:
    Teflon, congrats on the bike!

One bit of advice though, do the mods yourself! You'll save hundreds of dollars in labor, money you can spend on tools to work on your own bike. None of this stuff is rocket science and we have, for the most part, given detailed intructions with pics to show you what to do. My experience (and nearly eveyone I've heard of) with the average dealer is not good. They have some minimum wage guy back there doing the low tech stuff that doesnt give a crap about your new baby. Another negative is; they most likely will not do the other mods that we talk about here, for fear of getting fined if caught. Most of the stuff we talk about here is just nuts & bolts and very doable by us average guys. :D

So order the parts, buy some metric tools and have fun work'in on 'yer new bike!

See ya, Randy.
  4. sullydirt

sullydirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said Randy,

I for one get a good feeling about knowing by bike inside and out. Spending a little time in the garage with some tools and grease is good therapy.

Has anyone ever read "The art and zen of motorcycle maintenance"?

Mike
  5. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Nobiman! No one cares more about your bike, or its rider's well-being, than you do :lol3

I personally wouldn't trust my dealer to wipe the bugs off my headlight. In fact, it's because of a few exchanges with my dealer that I decided it was in my own best interest to learn to do my own maintenance. And as Randy said, you will save way more than the cost of your tools, not to mention having the satisfaction of knowing it's done right, doing the work on your schedule not his, and knowing that the actual work that you wanted done actually gets done.
  6. grimel

grimel Fatman on a roll

Oddometer:
    Wasting money. Put in the lowest octane gas that doesn't ping. Then you can laugh even more.
  7. jeepphamilee

jeepphamilee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I usually run a tank of regular 1/2 way and then fill the other 1/2 with mid grade. I notice a little differance between the two, I try to keep the fuel mixed and I don't ping. I can't remember the compression ratio on these engines but premium isn't needed, but if it feel s good to you then who cares... right:evil Either way I am still not spending $300 a month in fuel cost like I was driving my beast (see avatar) at 7MPG. Even with premium you are still filling your pocket with a little extra cash.:thumb
  8. grimel

grimel Fatman on a roll

Oddometer:
    It's more than compression ratio. The difference is in your mind if you don't ping. Octane has nada to do with gasoline's power, strength, etc. It is a measure of ability to resist pinging. The only advantage "premium" HAD was a better cleaning additive package. That hasn't been the case for at least a decade or so. Use the cheapest stuff that doesn't ping where the station sells enough to not have water problems.
  9. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That part of your manual must be in error because the engines are identical. The kawasaki Japan website lists them both at 21KW(29PS) at 9000RPM. PS stands for 'pferdestarke' (don't ask me to pronounce that). 29PS converts to 28.6HP.
  10. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well after the US-ification the KLX only puts out 18 horsepower as shown on the HMF engineering dyno run sheets which matches the specs in the manual.
  11. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That has nothing to do with "us-ification."
    They BOTH crank out 18HP on a DYNO, because a dyno measures HP at the REAR WHEEL. A manual will almost never show dyno figures. The manual shows HP figures measured at the engine output sprocket. BIG difference. The manual is in error unless they measured the KLX on a dyno and the D-Tracker at the rear spocket...which I highly doubt.

I'm telling you the engines are exact carbon copies of one another. There's no way to get an HP split like that if they are both measured using the same method.
  12. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    heeeelllllooooooooooooooooooooo
  13. Nobiman

Nobiman Orange... the color of insanity.

Oddometer:
    Hey all, we're leaving for Colorado for 6 days of "Rocky Mountain Dualsport Riding" on Thursday nite the 4th. Yea baby! I cant remember if any of our KLX 250S thread crew is from up that'a way at the moment, but if you are, we'll be camping in the Pitkin area west of Gunnison. Probably on Monday we are going to take a road trip to Pagosa Springs, spend the nite and ride back thru Silverton and either the north or south half of the Alpine loop into Lake City before heading back to Gunnison. If any one wants to meet up, PM me before Thursday nite with the details, we'd love to meet 'cha and ride some. We'll be in the truck in the pic below, if ya see us, wave us down and say hey.

Rocky Mountain Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.....................Colorado. (for you young 'ens, that was a popular song back in the day):lol3

Randy.
  14. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip Randy - sounds like it will be a blast.
  15. jeepphamilee

jeepphamilee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and my bike I have no idea what you just said......., but okay:huh
  16. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a blast Randy :D
  17. YYY-GUY

YYY-GUY Back in the saddle ...

Oddometer:
    I'd like to say that I've been out riding all this time, but I haven't ... but I did make it out enough to get 106 KM on the bike (I know, I should be loosing sleep just to make riding time ... ).

To make up for lack of mileage, I have been getting in some wrench time. Here's the mods so far:

- Raised license plate up about 1.5" (learned this one the hard way from my KLR-250... didn't even want to opportunity for a mangled plate.)
    - Drilled a 1/2" hole in the exhaust baffle.
    - Mounted a Pelican 1200 on the rack.

The Dynojet kit, air box snorkle and 13T sprocket are on order. Brake LED! is on order as well. (Maybe Santa will bring me a Muzzy for Christmas, but I don't think I can convince the UPS guy to bring one any time soon!)

I'll wait to do the carb mods until after I get the Dynojet Kit - don't want to be running too lean. Drilling the 3/8" crankcase breather won't affect jetting, so I can do that before the DynoJet arrives, right? Same thing with drilling the carb slide ... that just affects throttle response, but not fuel/air ratios. Or is it best to do all those mods at the same time?

For anyone whose interested, a made recordings of my bike starting and idling both before and after drilling the exhaust baffle. I can post links if you want.

In the meantime, does anybody know someone at The Weather Network who can pull a few strings?!??

Mike
  18. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've read most of this thread since I have been interested in moving up from my little DR200 to a KLX250S. I may sell my SV650 to finance the change. One thing I haven't seen, however, is a figure for alternator output for the KLX. Does anyone know how much juice it puts out?
  19. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    just enough ... lol

I don't know however knowing the japs (thai?) it wouldn't have a lot left over for heated gloves etc

cheers
  20. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I remember right its around 14 amps and 14 volts @4000 rpm or something along those lines. There is very little room for anything extra. I wanted to add auxiliary headlights to light the side of the road/trail better but couldn't find anything that wasn't going to kill the battery even with it running.