Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy some more. Then you'll find what you already have. Worked for me, usually. ;)
  2. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wiser folks than me claim that EFI is less fussy about fresh fuel.....so it's not all bad. A bike that won't start sucks no matter with it's carbureted or f.i.
    And on an unrelated note....is there no dedicated thread for KLX250's on here? If there is, could someone kindly point me to it? I did sign up on the Kawaforums and maybe that's where I'll need to go but you know what they say about old dogs....
    Thanks.
    I just bought an '07 351 with Mikuni pumper, 2 brothers pipe and I'm just lovin' it!
    3bangin and jeepgeek2002 like this.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this is it.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    And those wiser folks are correct... until that old fuel has the liquid evaporate leaving a residue that clogs the injector. That, I believe, is the problem with my Zuma. There is no drain line for the EFI injector and fuel line leading to it. The old gas dried out leaving solids that have probably clogged the injector. EFI is only less fussy when it hasn't had fuel in it dry out leaving residue, because the fuel circulates in an EFI circuit, so what is in the line gets flushed around, picking up good gas from the tank. Carbs have what's in the float bowl, the reason for draining the float bowl or running it dry then when it is time to start up turn the gas on and fresh gas from the tank goes into the bowl. Gas in a tank takes at least a year or two to go totally bad. In a carb it can be days (my 650) or weeks (my 250).

This is it. You may want to check out the Kawasaki Forum - click here - which has one of the biggest KLX250/300 following in the world. Lots to see there.
  5. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the prompt reply mates.
    And since this thread has more activity, I'll post this question here that I put on Kawiforums:

Just bought this bike and wanted to give it an oil change. My older manual only states I should use 10w-40 wt. The only synthetic oil I could find at Walmart was Mobil one "high mileage".
    I looked for the JASO/MA rating on the label that I've understood was necessary for wet clutch bikes. It's not there. Should I go to a bike shop and get a more specific-for-my-bike oil, or is what I bought O.K.?
    Thanks.
  6. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use ONLY oil with the correct (JASO/MA) rating even if it is harder to source (and likely more $).
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    Shell Rotella has some JASO/MA diesel oils Look at the labels. Then again it's only a couple quarts if you have to buy at a bike shop. Some auto stores and big box stores sell motorcycle oil too.
  8. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Walmart carries a 4-stroke oil. Spec-wise it seems to match up to the more expensive stuff:

6B4B3F57-B54F-4EC9-8E15-5CD71F14DA62.jpeg

A6888FE4-3547-4C30-8C8C-AFA10818066C.jpeg
  9. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can find this on the shelves too
    [​IMG]
  10. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i ve been buying T4 and T6 Rotella for all my bikes.. no issues and amazon sells them $19 a gallon
  11. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
  12. Yella DR

Yella DR Let's go! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't want to start an oil debate but I'll share: I've been using Mobil1 euro car formula 0/40 in the Dr650 and my Bandit 1200 after reading about it on ADVrider, in some tread, second season running it now. Used Rottella T6 before that.
    Spins fast when cool. Clutches are just fine too. Reasonable cost for what it is.
  13. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 KLX250S I bought in fall 2012 to replace my 07 Ninja 500 I crunched up badly. Right now it has around 6900 miles on it, a good many of them dirt. It's on it's 3rd front tire (IRC TR8) and soon to be 4th rear (Kenda Trackmaster, not counting the Kenda Klassic on it now that's coming off). I've done a bit to it over the last 7 years. FMF Q4, Dynojet Kit stage 2, removed the airbox snorkel, removed the emissions junk, Chinesium Ninja 250 shorty levers (fit right on KLX perches), IMS tank, Seat Concepts -1" seat, -1" dogbones, rectifier ground mod, PMR rear rack, HF waterproof box, 14/45 gearing, EBC HH pads, RAM mount for my ghetto GPS with a USB charger, one of marrk53's cam chain tensioners, China hand guards, Race Tech .57 fork springs and 6.4kg rear spring. I can see an AHL 299 kit in it's future. Along with bars since the stock ones are all bent up.

It's done 2 Touratech East Rallys, got me to work and back countless times, spent time on fire roads, trails, dirt, pavement, mud, on the ground, in the house decorated for Christmas (daughter's idea, wife was not pleased) and 4 lane highways. It's taught my one son how to ride since he's too broke to put tags on his bike. It's hauled my fat almost 300 pound ass around on single track with out much issue. Stupid simple and reliable. Probably the most fun bike I have ever owned in the last 32 years of riding. If my garage were to catch fire, it'd be the first bike I'd push outside.

It has it's limitations and as long as I keep myself in check, it's fine.
    KIMG0132A.jpg

Can't think of anything I'd really change on it!
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    "in the house decorated for Christmas"!! Picture please.
    Maybe even one of not pleased wife.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  15. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    No, she was pissed. My daughter had fun doing it. I thought about bringing my SV650 in last year but I didn't want to tempt fate twice.
    klx.jpg

Edit: I don't feel like flushing almost 26 years of marriage down the drain... yet.
    LandsVW, Jedi2Rider, 250senuf and 3 others like this.
  16. Yella DR

Yella DR Let's go! Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="NurseBill, post: 38438125,
    View attachment 1900670

Edit: I don't feel like flushing almost 26 years of marriage down the drain... yet.[/QUOTE]
    Yet?
    Come on-you can give up motorcycling, everything you own and sleep in someone's basement. And of course be broke.
    We learn to just enjoy what we have and don't push it...to far
    NurseBill likes this.
  17. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Yet?
    Come on-you can give up motorcycling, everything you own and sleep in someone's basement. And of course be broke.
    We learn to just enjoy what we have and don't push it...to far[/QUOTE]

Couple years ago my sister in law said to me " I can't believe you wife ALLOWS you to have a motorcycle" . My reply was I had been doing this far before I was married, had she had an issue with it then, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm lucky. My wife has few stipulations. 1) If it's a weekend I can't go both days, all day. Both days are ok if it's a trip or only part of a day. 2) Check in at least once if possible, just a text. 3) Call if I'll be home after 10PM 4) Don't end up dead in a ditch. 5) No more bikes in the house.

BTW today is the day I bought my KLX in 2012.
    markk53 likes this.
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very reasonable. Keeper.
    NurseBill likes this.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    My wife knew I was a motorcyclist. She told me she doesn't have any problem with my riding, but does not enjoy it herself. I just bought a solo saddle for the XSR. I agree if that would have been a stopper for her it probably would have been for me too.
  20. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to my wife having a motorcycle was my only redeeming quality so she married me. :lol3 Thirty two years of marriage and I'm still riding.
    3bangin likes this.