Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She's also the one when I put the Kenda Klassic on the rear, never took it off the lift, never road it... nothing, said to me " It looks dumb, go order something else".
    3bangin and Jedi2Rider like this.
  2. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is so cool!! Love that kind of support!!

When I met my wife in college, I didn't have a bike at that time, but told her about my teenage dirt bikes. She liked. She asked me if I wore "those cool motorcycle pants." I told her no--no money, just jeans. She said if I ever got a bike again, had to have the pants. I thought she was pretty cool.

Fast forward 18 years, 4 kids, still no bike, and she sees a used TM Racing 250 Enduro at a dealer, and thinks it looks pretty cool (she has impeccable taste). Springs surprise on me that she wants to get it for Father's Day present for me. Wow! So after consulting with me that was a bike I would want, she goes ahead and buys it!!

So, after the formal presentation on Father's Day from all the kids, the first thing she says to me is, "Now, you have to buy those pants...and the boots, OK?" Awesome!:raabia

My new riding buddies couldn't believe the story. Their wives always complained about their gear purchases...for me it was pretty much a pre-condition!
    norton73 and NurseBill like this.
  3. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
    Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
    She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

You found the good one hang onto her
  4. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    That is freaking awesome!

We've been married a long time, 4 kids, and she knows how important motorcycles are to me.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  5. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put LED turn signals on their klx? I put LED bulbs in my 06 klx and tried two different led turn signal relays and neither one would fix the issue of all four blinkers flashing at the same time when only selecting just left or right on the switch.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  6. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I did. I ended up going with the resistors to make them work right.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  7. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Fixed the stupid tire issue....
    IMG_20190924_171012089.jpg

I added Protaper Hi CR bend bars as well. My buddy owns a shop and had a customer return a set so I snagged them up. They were red but I fixed that. I did have to reroute the clutch cable. I think a longer one would be better.
  8. RuffnReadyXJ

RuffnReadyXJ Just thumping along...

Oddometer:
    You need a solid state flasher relay, done. Check out 12 o’clock labs or find a cheap one on amazon and make it work if you’re handy.
  9. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK! A much more manly tire.

Not complaining, but the pic is a bit too fuzzy to make out the brand/model. Enlighten us?
  10. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep already tried one from 12 o clock labs and it didn't work. It was a direct replacement LED relay and it made all 4 turn signals blink at the same time. I tried another direct swap relay that was made for the klx and it did the same thing. Not sure why since the original flasher relay and stock bulbs work fine. I have the same LED bulbs in my klr with a LED relay and they work fine.
    NurseBill likes this.
  11. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Isn’t the issue related to both sides being wired to a common flashing indicator light? I think the fix is something along the lines of eliminate the indicator, or add a resistor or diodes to it. I’m sure this has been hashed out here over and over, but my KLX is long gone, and I never converted to LEDs.
    kbuckey likes this.
  13. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    You can get the resistors at Walmart if need be, automotive section. I think it's because the KLX has 1 indicator light on the dash, not 2 for each side. That's the only way mine would work.
  14. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Kenda Trackmaster 110/100-18
  15. RuffnReadyXJ

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the round factory mirrors from a 09 and newer? Either both or at least a right one they don’t need? I can get a new OEM one for 51 bucks but figured if someone upgraded or don’t use theirs I’ll throw a few bucks their way. If not I’ll just order one.

If you can try to PM me and/or quote this post so I don’t miss any replies. Thanks!
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Why not buy a couple Emgo folding dual sport mirrors. Work pretty well. Under $15 a shot.

[​IMG]

You set them up so they can fold to the middle above the key switch when off road.
    bultacobill and RuffnReadyXJ like this.
  17. RuffnReadyXJ

Oddometer:
    The image doesn’t work but I’ll google it. They any good as far as keeping adjustment or not vibrating like crazy? I actually had some double take mirrors I spent good money on, then sold a while ago, I didn’t like them at night because they vibrated terribly. I need a mirror after I wiped my bike out on the road, lol.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I don't think it was horrible for vibration. The mirror ball mount can be tightened up some, essentially it is a standard round mirror with a ball mount base.
    bultacobill likes this.
  19. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally tested the fuel range of the klx 351 today with the Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank. I got 165 miles plus another 21 miles on reserve. It ran out of gas at 186 miles and I leaned it over to the left side to get a little bit of fuel out of the right side of the tank. I made it to the gas station and put in 3.65 gallons which is right around 51 mpg with a 15 tooth front sprocket.

The fall colors are a bit late here in southern Michigan. I'll probably head back out next week again to see if the leaves have more color.

100.jpg 101.jpg 102.jpg
    IDRIDR, LandsVW and Jmcqq37 like this.
  20. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, and the mileage sounds about right.

I took my 351 out yesterday and after not having ridden it for a while, and having spent most of the intervening time tooling around on a Beta 125, I was surprised at the amount of vibration that motor has. And noise - it has pretty "throaty" exhaust and it's...throaty. Put in 86 miles of mixed tarmac and dirt and except for my sore ass at the end by virtue of my wretched homemade seat I enjoyed the ride. That motor - that torque! Very intoxicating. Not super fast but it really pulls in a satisfying way at anything over 4K rpm. I actually came up the same road as in the attached video and I think I went up at least as fast as this guy (though I'm not saying the 351 is in the league with this motor) and really didn't shift that much, except on the hairpins, just let the torque pull me through. And the bawl of that exhaust as the motor yanked me out of the turns! Aaargh! I felt a little bit of the hooligan.

norton73 likes this.