Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally tested the fuel range of the klx 351 today with the Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank. I got 165 miles plus another 21 miles on reserve. It ran out of gas at 186 miles and I leaned it over to the left side to get a little bit of fuel out of the right side of the tank. I made it to the gas station and put in 3.65 gallons which is right around 51 mpg with a 15 tooth front sprocket.

The fall colors are a bit late here in southern Michigan. I'll probably head back out next week again to see if the leaves have more color.

100.jpg 101.jpg 102.jpg
    IDRIDR, LandsVW and Jmcqq37 like this.
  2. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, and the mileage sounds about right.

I took my 351 out yesterday and after not having ridden it for a while, and having spent most of the intervening time tooling around on a Beta 125, I was surprised at the amount of vibration that motor has. And noise - it has pretty "throaty" exhaust and it's...throaty. Put in 86 miles of mixed tarmac and dirt and except for my sore ass at the end by virtue of my wretched homemade seat I enjoyed the ride. That motor - that torque! Very intoxicating. Not super fast but it really pulls in a satisfying way at anything over 4K rpm. I actually came up the same road as in the attached video and I think I went up at least as fast as this guy (though I'm not saying the 351 is in the league with this motor) and really didn't shift that much, except on the hairpins, just let the torque pull me through. And the bawl of that exhaust as the motor yanked me out of the turns! Aaargh! I felt a little bit of the hooligan.

norton73 likes this.
  3. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 06 electric start button snapped off, I was in the woods parked at the bottom of a hill :lol3, but it started as it snapped. Got a replacement off Ebay but it wasn't plug and play, different connectors but the color codes were the same. Fixing that I noticed the fuel line was crapped out,$2 at Autozone and all is well again.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    FWIW I bought a box of male/female connectors 3.9mm which are same as some of the Japanese bikes. Under ten bucks for a bazillion of them. click here.

Used them to fix the corroded, broken connectors on an XT225.
  5. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    As cheap as both kits are, it's not a bad thing to have on the shelf. Auto stores don't have the bullet connectors most of the time, having only those flat blade type. Plus you always need them the day before you are going somewhere. Less than $20 to be ready. Plus throw some in a baggie and you have them on the road if needed.
  7. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike and I went down hard on the left side. Now it shifts up, at least it did until it got to 6th gear. Both up and down now feel the same, the shifter moves but doesn't catch anything and the spring returns it to center.

I suspect it has a broken downshift finger. Has anyone else had this problem? How much work will it be to replace this?
  8. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Service manual PDF files are online if you google them.
    mriderleon likes this.
  9. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Is it a 2009? If so, yes, fairly common and pretty easy to repair.
    https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/shift-star-design-change-35512/
  10. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone replaced their Exhaust Cam ? my ACR is failing.
  12. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to replace the cams on my '09. Still have the old ones, ACR wasn't part of the problem causing need to replace. Postage from Canuckistan tends to be pricey. PM me your zip code and I'll check the cost.
  13. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i ll just replace the whole unit.. im not even sure how the acr comes off the cam.. $244 for a new part.. looks like its the same part # even for the 18's
  14. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeepgeek- are you replacing the cam on your 09-250 with the BB351 kit? Any idea what caused the problem?
  15. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hard to start to not starting at all.. acted like a weak starter and then i though the battery was dead..
    the ACR has so much play it never closes ... i dont think its the 351 kit that caused that...
    its a worn out piece that might have been broken since the day i picked it up 3 years ago..
    Shims are within specs and the bike, when running would run great.. but for the past 6 months it would go from not starting to killing all power from battery.. and occasionally run.
  16. RuffnReadyXJ

RuffnReadyXJ Just thumping along...

Oddometer:
    Why don’t you disable it and just see how it starts? I ran mine with it disabled for a while but ended up enabling it again later on. If that thing is jacked up somehow you can always press it off the cam too.
  17. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have 4 other bikes to ride.. i ll do it right the 1st time rather than patch fix it. its just taking up realestate in the garage..
  18. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went out for a day ride today with the fall colors starting to really change here in Southeast Michigan. I forgot to charge the camera battery in my good point and shoot camera so I ended up with pictures from my cell. The cell phone pictures don't do the colors of the leaves any justice.

IMG_20191023_102243704_HDR.jpg IMG_20191023_102759799.jpg IMG_20191023_113648747_HDR.jpg
    OldGypsy and Jmcqq37 like this.
  19. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jealous!

but did a day ride require all those bags ;)
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    Spent last Friday and Saturday riding the back roads of southeastern Ohio above I-70. A bit chilly, but that just held our speed down a bit on the straight stretches. Found more dirt/gravel roads we either hadn't traveled before or did so long ago and don't remember. Good fun. Sorry, no pictures, we just ride.
    sbeadg and 1994klr250 like this.