Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RuffnReadyXJ

RuffnReadyXJ Just thumping along...

Oddometer:
    Why don’t you disable it and just see how it starts? I ran mine with it disabled for a while but ended up enabling it again later on. If that thing is jacked up somehow you can always press it off the cam too.
  2. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have 4 other bikes to ride.. i ll do it right the 1st time rather than patch fix it. its just taking up realestate in the garage..
  3. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went out for a day ride today with the fall colors starting to really change here in Southeast Michigan. I forgot to charge the camera battery in my good point and shoot camera so I ended up with pictures from my cell. The cell phone pictures don't do the colors of the leaves any justice.

IMG_20191023_102243704_HDR.jpg IMG_20191023_102759799.jpg IMG_20191023_113648747_HDR.jpg
    OldGypsy and Jmcqq37 like this.
  4. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jealous!

but did a day ride require all those bags ;)
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent last Friday and Saturday riding the back roads of southeastern Ohio above I-70. A bit chilly, but that just held our speed down a bit on the straight stretches. Found more dirt/gravel roads we either hadn't traveled before or did so long ago and don't remember. Good fun. Sorry, no pictures, we just ride.
    sbeadg and 1994klr250 like this.
  6. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here. Foliage is just about done in NW Mass and leaf covered trails made for some surprises.

I bought my '07 351 a couple months ago and enjoyed some short trail rides but it wasn't until yesterday spending the afternoon with a friend and his WR that I really bonded with the bike. I've owned an XT250 and and NX250 and compared to those, It really does pull nicely.

I've got a 2 Brothers pipe on it which the PO installed along with the Big Bore kit and Mikuni pumper carb. It's a bit loud for my preference. Reading about options, it seems the FMF Q4 muffler is a good option for a quieter aftermarket muffler. I understand the power trade off for a more restricted exhaust and am fine with it. I did post a "for trade" in the Flea Market in case anyone wants my 2 Brothers and more bark. I'd pay shipping for yours...

FWIW, I'm getting right around 50 mpg's with mine as well.
    UtahGuido likes this.
  7. Twnspin

Twnspin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the exhaust talk, i was wondering if any one has a stock muffler taking up space in the garage they might want to unload.

My 06 came with an evox big gun and is quite loud for my taste.
  8. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    Good idea, Twnspin. There's one on eBay but I'm waiting on my swap solicitation. May I get in line behind you in case more than 1 stocker becomes available?
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye out for a 300 pipe as well. Slightly louder, but still more than reasonable in general.
    Twnspin likes this.
  10. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    I decided to check in with 2 Brothers. They actually make a db killer insert called a "P1X power tip" for M series mufflers! $44. with shipping from Revzilla. Easy peasy. Looking forward to seeing how effective it is.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  11. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a stock muffler but was moving....so it was disposed of. I put a Q4 on and it has a very nice sound, not too loud or neighbor bothering, if I had neighbors, I splurged and bought the carbon pipe protector, it's $$ bling for a KLX but keeps pants or boots from getting melted.
    Twnspin likes this.
  12. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    I installed the "db killer" "Power Tip". Fail. It's only barely noticeably quieter at higher rpm's. I found a stock exhaust for my bike on eBay.
    The Revzilla site says they've actually stopped making the M7. Reviewers said it's specified for racing only. I have no desire to draw attention to myself, especially riding on trails. Looking forward to installing the stocker, just in time for winter, sigh...
  13. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a stock 2007 KLX250 silencer and head pipe that I'm willing to sell for $20 plus shipping
    If you're interested contact me at 828-490-8529 (text preferred) or PM or doug.pippin@bellsouth.net
  14. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    I am having trouble finding an oversized tank for my 07 KLX 250s.
    Clarke makes one but it less than 3 gallons.
    Will the Aceribis 3.7 gallon KLX 300 tank fit on the 250 without any modifications?
  15. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank will fit your 07 klx just fine. I have one on my 06 klx and If I remember correctly I think I had to zip tie some hoses and electrical harness over to the side on top of the engine. Also if you still have the stock carburetor it will fit just fine, if you have a pumper carb you'll need to modify the carb to get it to clear.

Here's the acerbis tank on my 06.
    IMG_20191023_102241740_HDR.jpg
    sbeadg likes this.
  16. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Everything is still stock.
    I really like how you set-up your 06!
  17. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ll likely have to trim the choke knob to get it to clear the Acerbis tank. Mine looks like a half moon. Other than that the tank fits fine and is easy to install and remove, and it provides good radiator protection.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  18. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    Copy.
    I have been lusting over a left over Africa Twin until I sat on one. I didn't realize how large they were. I have gone up to 430 miles in one day on my KLX 250s. The miniature fuel tank always has be worried when traveling through unfamiliar areas.
  19. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Thought is free--WS

Oddometer:
  20. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    @1994klr250,

I see you added the kick starter kit. Have you been in a situation yet where you needed it?