Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here. Foliage is just about done in NW Mass and leaf covered trails made for some surprises.

I bought my '07 351 a couple months ago and enjoyed some short trail rides but it wasn't until yesterday spending the afternoon with a friend and his WR that I really bonded with the bike. I've owned an XT250 and and NX250 and compared to those, It really does pull nicely.

I've got a 2 Brothers pipe on it which the PO installed along with the Big Bore kit and Mikuni pumper carb. It's a bit loud for my preference. Reading about options, it seems the FMF Q4 muffler is a good option for a quieter aftermarket muffler. I understand the power trade off for a more restricted exhaust and am fine with it. I did post a "for trade" in the Flea Market in case anyone wants my 2 Brothers and more bark. I'd pay shipping for yours...

FWIW, I'm getting right around 50 mpg's with mine as well.
    UtahGuido likes this.
  2. Twnspin

Twnspin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the exhaust talk, i was wondering if any one has a stock muffler taking up space in the garage they might want to unload.

My 06 came with an evox big gun and is quite loud for my taste.
  3. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    Good idea, Twnspin. There's one on eBay but I'm waiting on my swap solicitation. May I get in line behind you in case more than 1 stocker becomes available?
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye out for a 300 pipe as well. Slightly louder, but still more than reasonable in general.
    Twnspin likes this.
  5. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    I decided to check in with 2 Brothers. They actually make a db killer insert called a "P1X power tip" for M series mufflers! $44. with shipping from Revzilla. Easy peasy. Looking forward to seeing how effective it is.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  6. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a stock muffler but was moving....so it was disposed of. I put a Q4 on and it has a very nice sound, not too loud or neighbor bothering, if I had neighbors, I splurged and bought the carbon pipe protector, it's $$ bling for a KLX but keeps pants or boots from getting melted.
    Twnspin likes this.
  7. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    I installed the "db killer" "Power Tip". Fail. It's only barely noticeably quieter at higher rpm's. I found a stock exhaust for my bike on eBay.
    The Revzilla site says they've actually stopped making the M7. Reviewers said it's specified for racing only. I have no desire to draw attention to myself, especially riding on trails. Looking forward to installing the stocker, just in time for winter, sigh...
  8. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a stock 2007 KLX250 silencer and head pipe that I'm willing to sell for $20 plus shipping
    If you're interested contact me at 828-490-8529 (text preferred) or PM or doug.pippin@bellsouth.net
  9. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    I am having trouble finding an oversized tank for my 07 KLX 250s.
    Clarke makes one but it less than 3 gallons.
    Will the Aceribis 3.7 gallon KLX 300 tank fit on the 250 without any modifications?
  10. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank will fit your 07 klx just fine. I have one on my 06 klx and If I remember correctly I think I had to zip tie some hoses and electrical harness over to the side on top of the engine. Also if you still have the stock carburetor it will fit just fine, if you have a pumper carb you'll need to modify the carb to get it to clear.

Here's the acerbis tank on my 06.
    IMG_20191023_102241740_HDR.jpg
    sbeadg likes this.
  11. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Everything is still stock.
    I really like how you set-up your 06!
  12. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ll likely have to trim the choke knob to get it to clear the Acerbis tank. Mine looks like a half moon. Other than that the tank fits fine and is easy to install and remove, and it provides good radiator protection.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  13. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    Copy.
    I have been lusting over a left over Africa Twin until I sat on one. I didn't realize how large they were. I have gone up to 430 miles in one day on my KLX 250s. The miniature fuel tank always has be worried when traveling through unfamiliar areas.
  14. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Thought is free--WS

Oddometer:
  15. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    @1994klr250,

I see you added the kick starter kit. Have you been in a situation yet where you needed it?
  16. bultacobill

bultacobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually bent the choke knob slightly to clear it. Works fine.
  17. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Type6ix
    I had an 2016 Africa Twin DCT for about a year. It is a large bike. I sold it about 2 months ago.
    Even though it was tall and heavy it handled exceptionally well on the road and gravel forest roads.
    It is advertised as a dual sport adventure bike and I guess if you are young and very strong you could use it for that kind of stuff
    Myself I found to too big for off-road riding. It would be very hard to pick up when you dumped it
    I have a 2007 KLX250/300 for that kind of riding
    That said the Africa Twin was great on the road once you got used to the dual clutch

Doug
  18. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep I've had to use it in the past. I had a battery fail completely when I stopped for a break while I was out riding. The kick starter saved me in that situation. I put the kick starter in it at the same time I did the 351 big bore and when the bike is warmed up it usually starts with one kick. If the bike is cold I haven't gotten it down to getting it to start all the time with the kicker. The 351 is definitely harder to kick over compared to my 94 klr250.
  19. Type6ix

Type6ix n00b

Oddometer:
    It's definitely good insurance. Just very expensive.
    BTW, I had a 1989 KLR 250. Should of kept that one. Reliable and comfortable.
  20. sbeadg

Oddometer:
    I do have the Mikuni pumper carb on my bike. Do you happen to recall specifically what modification is required?
    Love your rig.