Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    My 09 has a bit of rattle and it's got the tensioner. I think it's pretty much a normal noise. Only be concerned if it starts rattling over the full range or up higher. Don't get too shook up if you do start getting that noise, the tensioner fails in a progressive fashion so you have time to deal with it.

Yeah, I know. You guys tell me that rather frequently and I appreciate it. :nod
  2. Twnspin

Twnspin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help and quick shipping. I think you beat Amazon and the pipe looks great!!

Thanks again
  3. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checking things out, missing the bolt for the air filter, got the hand brake light switch working, loose connection, plastic welded the crack on the right side cover and installed the fan. Getting the XT350 ready to sell. 7CBD5C9D-3B59-42BA-B163-0603D77F8CCD.jpeg
  4. markk53

Oddometer:
    What? No $299 Harbor Freight lift?
  5. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the original one made in Italy that HB copied but there is another bike on it at the moment.
  6. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a nice clean klx in that picture :D
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    You do keep it nice - right? Recognize it? I didn't want a picture of my dirty oily bike... I tend to over ride and under maintain.
    abramsgunner and GhettoCanuck like this.
  8. bultacobill

bultacobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought mine used on the ADV flea market years ago. I’ll look on the pipe and see if there’s a number.
  9. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my new to me KLX I just found out it has lowering links on it. I thought the bike was shorter then I remembered , I'm not short at 5"11" so I may have to find the stock linkage.
    One odd thing when first started the bike idle goes up to just about 4000 rpm's! This can't be right. Is there a fast idle attached to the choke? It does come down when the choke is closed.
    And on the clicking tapping sound, a friend who used to have a KLX heard it and said not to worry about it.
  10. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you decide to sell the lowering links, I'd buy them. I'm only 5'7" and it's a high jump leg kick to mount with a Pelican top case. It has to be just right to mount horse-like.
  11. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I f I decide to maybe we can trade? I want to do a few miles first kind of nice being low. Do you give up shock travel with it lower?
  12. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    absolutely. Let me know!
    sjc56 likes this.
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Normal. It's not a choke like on a carbed car, it's an enricher which opens a fuel circuit.
  14. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the bike I bought thats lowering links and a shorten kick stand anyway I can tell if the springs where altered? The forks where not lowered.
  15. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem right to have such high rpm's on a cold motor.
  16. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's normal, it gives the engine more fuel when cold and the choke is on. If it didn't increase the rpms the engine wouldn't be able to idle around the 1,500 rpm range when cold.
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    Virtually every Kawasaki I've known of since around 1975 used enricheners and would rev up that high on start up, including the Z1, all the KZs, the triples, everything. That is the way they were. Honda used Kiehins that had true choke plates in them. They could be varied. Enricheners are only slightly able to be varied.
  18. bultacobill

bultacobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything concerning the choke system you are spot on but 4,000 is indeed a little high. 2,500 is more like it. sjc56 is it truly 4,000 from the tach or is this just a seat of the pants measurement? Your normal throttle setting might be high. That would also cause the choke setting to be higher than usual.
  19. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IT goes that high once choke is closed it settles down too around 1200
  20. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pulled the spring off the ACR and it has zero tension.. probably explains why it never closes.. the 351cc has too much compression to run it without the ACR.
    bottom line my xmas present will be a new Exhaust Cam with new acr attached..