Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Try to get a muffler too, it is definitely lower restriction. You want the whole system. Even without the extra insert it isn't loud.
  2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Finished all the carb work. Man it was in bad shape. The build-up of gunk and nastiness was beyond any carb I have every worked on. Every orifice was clogged. I soaked and scrubbed and soaked and scrubbed...... I changed out the Main and the Pilot. I drilled out the starter jet with a #77 bit. I shimmed the needle. I adjusted the fuel screw to 2.5 turns.

I have a lot more work to do on the bike, but hope to fire her up this coming weekend. It will be the first time she has been started since 2015.

[​IMG]
  3. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope it runs good. Mines been down for about a year i think.. I had to order cam hold down bolts from Babbitts.. they take forever to send but at least you know they are the right parts.
    After relying on a "mechanic" to do my shim then realizing the shims were never done, and me wasting $250 for a new exhaust cam. i checked everything myself.. nothing is "within" specs.
    i bought the shim kit so i ll have a whole range of shims for both the 09 and the 18. When i had my jeep i always did my own work.. i got lazy with this bike. i should have done everything myself.
    Still waiting on 6 bolts since two broke i figured replace them all since someone overtightened them to the point they look stretched.

Goal for me.. bolt down the cam hold down.. check which feeler gauge fits.. calculate what shim to put in. Mark them down and cross fingers for a smooth start
  4. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Big_John

Oddometer:

OOOOH.... Wish I knew about this a week ago. I have already detailed the carb and it is already mounted back up. But the next time I do some carb work, you can bet I will drop $25 on a bucket of this magic wonder!

Last night I flushed the coolant system, drained the oil, opened up the three valve cover ports and poured a quart of oil into the top end and let it drain out, and changed the oil filter.

Once I get the throttle cables properly adjusted and the new gas tank installed..... I will pour in some fresh gas, 1.5 quarts of super, high detergent oil..... and see if she fires up!!!!

Thunderbutt and jeepgeek2002 like this.
  6. markk53

Oddometer:
    Berryman's works great. I did a really gunked up XT225 carb. So bad the float bowl looked like it was brass plated. Dipped for a while and all clean and shiny again.
    jeepgeek2002 likes this.
  7. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Question about the cooling system on the KLX250S......

Is overheating ever a problem with this bike?

One of the first purchases I have always made with my liquid cooled bikes is to purchase the Tusk Radiator Cap with Temp Gauge. The potential problem I see with the our bikes is..... a 1.1 cap is stock and the lowest Tusk cap is 1.8. I fully understand the concepts here, I just wonder if a 1.8 is too much pressure for these 250 four strokes???? Generally it is recommended to move to a higher pressure cap, but you also have to be sure your hoses and the rest of the system can handle it.

Thoughts???????

8. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i had an over heating issue once.. it was because a hose had a leak in it.. other that.. never again.
  9. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Typically as long as the cooling system is in good shape these bikes don't have cooling problems
    Ive had my KLX since May 2008 and have never heard the fan come on
  10. markk53

Oddometer:
    Same here. The only heat related issue is that there is no bypass flow when the thermostat is shut, making uneven cooling around the cylinder, hotter at the top than at the bottom. I put a Thermo-bob on mine. some have a passage that can be connected to the one hose to create the bypass flow to get uniform temps around the cylinder.

No heat issues and possibly due to the dual radiators. Honda only runs one, even the KLR only ran one. The KLX650 runs twin radiators with good effect too.
  11. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's very rare that my fan comes on, so I would assume that my bike runs very cool. It comes on so rarely in fact, that when I hear a whirring noise I worry about something grenading in my engine until I get off to look and discover its my long forgotten fan.
    Dune Rider likes this.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    Fact is I'm not sure if mine works! I cannot recall ever hearing it run.
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Well..... I had it all put together today.... Flushed the new tank... hooked up all the hoses.... Added 1.5 gallons of fresh, beautiful gas.....

and.....

and.....

Ran the battery completely dead, trying to start it.

Occasionally it would fire.... puke.... fire again.... puke....etc.....

This weekend... I am going to strap the bike to the truck and pull it until it starts. hhahahahahahahaa

14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post up a video of that. ;)
    Cav47 likes this.
  15. Big_John

Oddometer:

Good news.... didn't have to strap it to a cage!!!!!

I will say that I "had some learnin" to do this past week. No amount of elbow grease, attempting to clean up that carb was successful. It was't until I finally paid the $30 for Chem-Dip to clean it, did all the tiny little ports clean out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a video of firing it up for the first time! (Click the IMG and you might have to click the speaker at the bottom of the video to listen to the sound of the FMF.)

[​IMG]

IDRIDR and Cav47 like this.
  16. Big_John

Oddometer:
    In the evenings this week, I will continue the work......

1. Remove front wheel for new tube and tire.
    2. While front wheel is off.... remove forks and install new fork seals and a fresh drink of fork oil.
    3. While front wheel and forks are off, pull apart the stem and lube the stem bearings.
    4. Put the front end back together.
    5. Pull off rear wheel for new tube and tire.
    6. While rear wheel is off, remove the swing arm and suspension arms and lube up all those bearings.
    7. Install the new skid plate.
    8. Install the new grip heaters and new grips.
    9. Install new bark busters.
    10. With a decent day in the high 40's, I will take the bike for a spin... running it at least 30 miles. Return home to dump the oil and change to new with new filter.

17. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    at least my advice of using ChemDip came in use. LOL
  18. Topher749

Topher749 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have but I'm a bit slower than you!

Toph
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great!
  20. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I had heard that this bike is hard to start. Man, you guys weren't kidding. Heck I even drilled out the started jet with a #77 bit. I haven't found the magic yet. When it is running, it runs awesome. Very quick response on the throttle at all RPM's.

But twice, I have run the battery dead trying to start it.... once when the engine was cold and once when the engine was hot.

I would love some advice.