1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    Hey Frogger, I have an ‘07 with a 3 or 3.1 gal aftermarket tank. It was installed by the previous owner and one of the reasons I bought this one. I don’t know much about it but could take a look and see if any id tags are on it if that would help.
    LandsVW likes this.
  2. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Damn,
    I thought I read all the fuel tank posts, I missed the one about turning the petcock 180°
    Oh well I'll turn it next time. That should give me another reserve.
  3. MrCrisper

MrCrisper LowHPchamp

Oddometer:
    I drilled and countersunk the puck and used some hardware I had around. The hardware that goes through the top of the kickstand is a titanium incasso nut (google: ouzo pro brake nut) from a carbon bike fork, probably 25 or 30mm in length. I was a team mechanic for a cycling team before I got into heavy equipment. The bottom is a bevel head bolt in a countersunk washer. It’s all M5 hardware.

edit: they might be m6 come to think of it.
  4. dmottv

Oddometer:
    I looked back on my posts in this thread. I actually have the Clarke 2.7 gal tank which gives good range if you’re getting 60 mpg +.
    LandsVW likes this.
  5. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it looked bikey. If I look around my various boxes of old nuts and bolts I might be able to find one too, but its not going to be titanium!
  6. Frogger

Frogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the added info.

I think if I'm going to go thru the hassle and EXPENSE of an after market tank, I want more than just 0.7gal extra fuel. I'm getting closer to 70mpg average currently but I'm still going to need over 3gal total (closer to 4gal+ really) for my longer routes between fuel stops.

Appreciate the info on the Clarke tank. I'm still looking for IMS fitment confirmation. But looking more and more like the Acerbis unit is going to be my one option.
    LandsVW, IDRIDR and dmottv like this.
  7. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    when i bought the 09 it had the 2.7 clarke on it.. i gotta say im impressed with the distance i get with the stock tank..
    the .7 extra only came in handy when i would push it further instead of stopping for gas.
    dmottv likes this.
  8. MrCrisper

MrCrisper LowHPchamp

Oddometer:
    I think I remember seeing a pic of the exhaust on your klx ages ago but I can’t seem to find it. Did you make a turndown exhaust tip for your bike?
  9. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No I bought one. It's stainless steel, cost $45 and was the last one the guy had. That was years ago. And it's on a KLX300 muffler which has the removable end piece (aka butt plug) so it was an easy swap. Sounds good too, not to loud but with a good tone.

250senuf, MrCrisper and norton73 like this.
  10. bultacobill

bultacobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a kick stand extension on mine from EBay. Looks better than a hockey puck.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kickstand-...-KAWASAKI-Versys-650-KLX250-BLK-/323991979717
  11. MrCrisper

MrCrisper LowHPchamp

Oddometer:
    The big reason I did the puck was to get some lean out of the bike when it’s on the side stand. I have an SF with shorter suspension links so it’s taller in the back and it was looking too leaned over. The bigger footprint was just a bonus. The lean was really bad with luggage and shinko 705’s.
  12. MrCrisper

MrCrisper LowHPchamp

Oddometer:
    On another note, has the “case saver” on the KLX ever, in fact, saved anyone’s case. I want to squeeze a bigger front sprocket on the bike for my commute to work but that fella would be in the way. I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was a child and I can’t think of an instance where I told myself, “gosh, I’m glad Kawasaki put a feeler gauge between the sprocket and stator cover, that sure saved my bacon.”

On the other hand I do wish I had a little more top-end while I’m going in to work. The way home is backroads that I won’t ride at 6am due to deer and a previous encounter I had on a 250sf.

32479484-383D-49BD-8C00-2977B2099659.jpeg

(This was a few years before I moved to NC on the first 250sf I owned. Traveling mid 50’s, didn’t crash up but twisted the triples. Deer didn’t make it and the tire had to be deflated to remove the hair.)
    norton73 likes this.
  13. mr. coffee

mr. coffee wingnut

Oddometer:
    Hey there, wondering if anyone wants to give me a little advice... after crashing and selling my XR650R, I’m considering buying a klx 250. My two questions are... how does the klx compare to a wr250r? It definitely fits my budget better and I’m willing to sacrifice a little performance to save 2K. Other question is the bike in question has around 10K miles on it. It appears to be well maintained, but I’m wondering how many miles until a klx starts to need major top end work. Thanks in advance! Always appreciate the knowledge gleaned from the ADV inmates.
  14. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wr250r is going to be a better bike than the klx250, but not 2 grand better. It's also worth noting that the "mod ceiling" is higher on the klx, in that it can be safely bored out to 350cc, whereas I believe the wrr runs out of meat at 290cc. Additionally, suspension upgrade options for the klx are plentiful. You can buy the klx now, spend 2k on it, and have a superior machine to the wrr.

As for engine longevity, there's a guy on here with something like 350000 km on a klx. It was bored to a 350 and had new rings once or twice, but its been pretty much bulletproof. (Maybe someone can link his username as I can never remember it. I bring up his bike every time klx durability is mentioned.)
  15. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both a klx250 and the wrr, what specifics are you looking to compare between the two?
  16. dmottv

Oddometer:
  17. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dmottv likes this.
  18. OldGypsy

OldGypsy FoolForDirt

Oddometer:
    Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
    The XT225 is indeed a tough little bike. I rode mine to Canada on the asphalt and came back on "The Great Divide Ride", 4650 miles with only one mechanical issue - the spark arrestor fell out.
    LandsVW likes this.
  19. bultacobill

bultacobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry I didn’t mean to be negative on the hockey puck. It’s a very good idea. I just was offering another idea. Words when they are written down seem different than the actual context.
    MrCrisper likes this.
  20. mr. coffee

mr. coffee wingnut

Oddometer:
    Hey Colombo, thanks! You’re exactly the person I’d like to hear from. Basically just wanted a comparison of engine pep, suspension and riding position. Wondering if one is hands down better than the other or if there’s any deal breakers. I’ve never ridden either one, just wanting to downsize from the XRR and not be disappointed. Thanks!!