Long term KLX250S review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. OldGypsy

OldGypsy FoolForDirt

Oddometer:
    Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
  2. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are many mysteries in life, Grasshopper, ... :pope and freedom comes to those who can figure out what's best for them.
  3. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been to the UP on my F800GS and for the kind of solo exploring I like to do there it's just too big and heavy. I've also done two rides on my 94 klr 250 to the UP and it's a long ride all the way through the lower peninsula just to get to the UP. The klx with the 351 big bore is just the right size! Here's the two previous reports of when I rode the klr to the UP:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-fall-ride-to-the-up-on-the-little-250-that-could.754065/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-dont-want-to-be-a-troll-living-under-the-bridge.1435716/

I'll probably write up a ride report over the winter about this ride. It was different in many ways.
  4. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a small windshield on my KLX and I have to say over 60 it starts getting a twitchy ad some wind and it's down right scary with the handlebars shaking so it may come off. Back roads no problem .
  5. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my Rotopax clone and mounted it inside an old rack bag to the rack.

Attached Files:

6. Yella DR

Yella DR Let's go! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well you could run some straps/braces from each side of the headlight shroud. Just stops the oscillating.Same happen on my DR650 and was cured
  7. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have mentioned It's mounted to the handle bars not the headlight. I'm thinking now it was low tire pressure in the front tire.
    Mickalmus and sledrydr like this.
  8. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slipstreamer windshield. I think. I bought it a few years back at a swap meet. Had it on my XT350 and other bikes.

Attached Files:

9. Yella DR

Yella DR Let's go! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess a low tire could do that. Bar mounted windscreen will steer the bike, no doubt, as will a shroud mounted one.
    My Baja Designs just keeps the pressure off the chest.
  10. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Low front tire. Nooooo good. Fought that all the way from Denver Co. to the Miss. river. on a trip. How stupid to not check!
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I had a bar mounted Shoei windshield on a street bike 40 years ago and it wobbled like a fishing lure above 50 mph. Took it off and have never had one since.
  12. mriderleon

mriderleon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So as I reported earlier, I have a bad intake cam, head and broken cam chain on an '09 KLX250. I"ve been looking for a new 2020 KLX 250 to replace it since a new top end would cost about half of a new bike and I'd still have a bike with significant mileage and a carburetor.
    Currently, there are no new KLX250's at any dealer in Florida. (There might be some, but I haven't been able to find one.) However, today I noticed a new KLX300. It looks the same as the 250 and while it isn't street legal, I've already got those parts.

---- Would it be feasible to buy a KLX300 and replace the engine and as much of the electronics as needed to repair my KLX250? I keep my street legal KLX250 frame, lights, mirrors and VIN. I get a new engine, wheels, brakes etc, and can keep the skid plate, luggage racks, Seat Concepts seat, tall bars. Could the Acerbis fuel tank be adapted to the FI system?

What is wrong with my scheme - other than being a lot of work? If I wait for a new KLX250, I still have to move all of the aftermarket stuff over.
  13. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Makes sense to me, its likely what I'd do.
  14. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or wait until Kawasaki announces the 2021 Models on Friday. Rumors are that the street legal KLX250 will get the 300cc motor from the offroad model.

I'd think the issues swapping electronics and hacking up wiring harnesses would be great, and unless you are an electrical engineer, risky business.
  15. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When my 09 ate a valve this July I was able to get a complete KLX300 head with cams and went with a BB 351 kit. I'm very pleased with the results. There was a complete motor on Ebay not sure if it is still there.
    norton73 and 1994klr250 like this.
  16. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but that will be November 23, not this Friday, sadly.
  17. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn drunks!

:freaky
    Rusty Rocket and Jedi2Rider like this.
  18. mriderleon

Oddometer:
    Bergdonk who says he ought to know better likes the idea of swapping engines and wiring from a KLX300. Norton73 says I ought to be an electrical engineer to attempt that. While not a certified electrical engineer, I agree that wiring is the most daunting part of this swap, but I believe it's doable.

Then Norton73 and Jedi2Rider point out that I might be able to wait until the end of the year and Kawasaki might do all that work for me. OK. That takes the KLX300 swap off the table for now.

SJC56 says to get a 300 head and BB351 kit. I've already decided to pass on that. When finished I would still have a carbureted bike. I really like FI. When it works, the engine starts immediately, and it almost always works. I will probably rebuild the motor as a 351, but it will be a spare for when I wear out or break the FI motor.

I really appreciate the advice. The 2021 sounds like it's worth waiting for. It means at least another month of waiting, but still sounds like the best choice. Thank you all. I'll post again when the situation changes.

Leon.
    norton73 likes this.
  19. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you can make it street legal, hanging lights on it may not suffice. For all that effort,.... just buy a KTM :beer
  20. mriderleon

Oddometer:

No, I would go the other way. I have a street legal KLX250s. I would use a brand new dirt only 300 as the parts bike to fix the street legal 250. Swap the engine and electronics to the 250 frame, then splice the lights and switches into the harness and use the existing title and plate from the 250 frame where everything is now mounted.

But, all that is on hold hoping Kawasaki upgrades the dual-sport 250 into a 300 for 2021.

Are we even allowed to mention KTM or BMW on this thread?
    250senuf and barko1 like this.