Long time no post, and I have to add to the faceplant section

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by EastRoad, Jun 4, 2019.

1. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm... Ok, I'm in one piece and a bit of bearable pain. (badly sparined ankle, perhaps partially torn shit.... but nothings broken)...

Daily commute - nothing special... had to switch lanes... I know I've checked my mirror, and turned my head as usualy, andf the next fucking thing I notice is that my bike goes down insanely fast and I roll around a bit.
    got hit by an approaching car from the rear.
    I've got well over 200'000k under the belt... without a single accident (road)... and am pretty pissed this did happen now... well, what can I say, I'm "fine" considering... my Ego is a bit dented though.but I still want to hop back on a bike.

legally speaking it's still unclear what happened if the guy from behind was speeding, or if I just somehow managed to miss the approaching vehicle, in all honesty, I simply don't know.... (I guess a mix between shock and actually not having seen the approaching danger...)
    honestly can't say whether it was my fault, the car driver's fault or both.... I guess the local lawmaker will have a thing to say and I'm just hoping it won't play out against me, adding insult to injury...

My gear performed flawlessly I have to say.
    The newly purchased (just 2month old) schuberth C4pro did what it was supposed to do and now prematurely hangs on the wall.
    The jacket and pants looks slightly dirty but there isn't any damage or such thing...
    the boots worked (they're not ADV grade things, but they have ankle protectors and heavy leather... I suspect they prevented the worst).
    At first I thought - pain wise - the ankle is at least broken in one or two spots... but figure my bones are pretty tough ... the X-Ray revealed nothing.
    manual testing at the hospital by the doc revealed nothing has snapped...
    it's swollen and too early to say if there's a bit more going on, it's painful to walk (ok, I hobble and am not walking) but hey... that's the only shit I've suffered.

The bike I don't know yet... my trusty R1150GSA looked no more beaten up than she was before.
    (ok, not exactly)... there's a few more dents from the looks I got at it.
    the windshield has partially disintegrated... but aside from that there was no fluid leakage and stuff.
    the top case is fubar'd .

it got towed off as I had a ride to the hospital close by... will have to check in with the towing company in regards to the bike...

ah well, shit happens.
    AnthonyD likes this.
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    You got hit from behind, it's his fault not yours. Admitted that's no help WRT injuries but as far as liability goes that's the presumption.
  3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Few thoughts.

The human eye has a blind spot roughly in the center of vision. The brain fills in the hole. A glance over the shoulder often just uses the one eyeball, so it's actually pretty easy to not see something sitting right in that blind spot. I've done it myself, more than once. To help, I try really hard to turn enough to use both eyeballs. Otherwise, I try to look at two different points, hoping one will reveal what was in that blind spot.

A quick online test to show you this blind spot, if you're not already aware of it:
    https://visionaryeyecare.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/eye-test-find-your-blind-spot-in-each-eye/

The car may not have been there when you looked. If it was further over (three lane highway), it may have come over just as you did, or more likely just before you did.
    sperz1, Misanthropist, ACR and 5 others like this.
  4. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    thanks for the replies...
  5. Uetliberg

Uetliberg There you go...

Oddometer:
    Well, I do wish you a speedy recovery! Though, selfishly I'd like to ask a question regarding gear. As we use the same jacket (Klim Marrakesh) I am interested to know how that jacket held up, provided of course you were wearing that one. Above you write that it doesn't show any dammage. Did you slide over the asphalt or were you just rolling on the ground?
  6. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    You need to contact your local Schuberth rep and ask about their mobility program. Basically, turn in your crashed helmet for a brand spanking new one which is heavily discounted. As i recall, nearly -75% off.
    AnthonyD, 03WrxRob and theailer like this.
  7. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that tip!! this is amazing... of course I'll try that...
  8. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    I slid briefly and then rolled around, got on the side-track over a hard stone segment and into the dirt.
    The Jacket - and yes I still wear the marrakech.... actually it's the one jacket that I've been wearing like every day on the bike since buying it (so comfortable ;) )...
    well it has gotten dirty but aside of that it looks like brand new... no scruff marks, no fraying, all the zippers held perfectly
    I love the jacket also because it's a slight stretch fit the protectors are held in place perfectly.
    I mean aside from mild pain in my trapezius / shoulder region (nothing broken, or bruised - just stretched a bit too much and impacted) it protected me from EVERY scratch.
    also the shoulder you can clearly see that the armour is working as advertised - not even a single bruise despite taking a direct hit.
    Frankly speaking the thing is the best jacket I've owned - and it will stay my daily jacket, now more than ever. Don't throw out what has been thoroughly field tested and has proven to work ;)

I think the "Marrakech" strikes a great balance overall... we've got 31°C here currently and the jacket is venting well, it's lightweight, it's extremely comfortable.
    When it was colder/rainy I just layered up underneath and/or put a rainjacket on over it...
    I guess because it's so comfortable I've been wearing it even on shortest rides.. without much exception....
    certainly saved my skin this time.
    Uetliberg likes this.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, ah, you like the Marrakech? ;-)

Your words made me go look the jacket up. Glad I watched their little video, it explained the "micromesh" breathability and showed the stretch. Interesting and not a bad price.

Can I too ask a question? Namely of the elbow protection. I've got an older Fieldsheer jacket with similar elbow pads and elastic strap. I've found the straps to often pop loose, leaving me very dubious of the elbow pad being able to actually protect my elbow. How did yours do in holding position in the crash and rolling around?
  10. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    Well, apparently, I do like the Marrakech ;) now more than before ;)

There is no "elastic" strap that holds the armour in place - it has an mid-underarm adjuster that will also pull the armour closer.
    At least with my body-shape the armour (all of it) on the marrakech actually stayed perfectly in place during my speed-dating with the tarmac.
    nothing was twisted out of location or badly placed.

I might have to add this:
    I often had a problem with jacket / trouser fitment .. my body isn't standard-sized if anything can be said about it ;)
    I'm "only" 1.75m tall (5'9") but have a pretty broad chest and decently sized arms.... so most of the time, looking at a size chart - the length would be a L or even M...
    But in a 95% of the stuff I can't fit my upper body circumference in an M and often just barely in an L (it works usually as long as I don't stretch/move about)... so I often have to opt for XL... which makes the arms of a jacket too long.
    So then the armour also often sits non-ideally...
    The Marrakech in L fits me perfectly though... the slight stretch makes it work perfectly. and with it the armour actually is well-positioned and kept closer to the body.
    it's one of the reasons why I've made it my main riding jacket - it fits me really well.

And thus zero elbow problems or such stuff after my crash.
    foxtrapper likes this.
  11. Uetliberg

Uetliberg There you go...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I do feel better now wearing the jacket. Personally I took the armour out and am wearing a compression jacket below. I am wearing it from beginning of March until end of November, adjusting with layers. Do you have any idea about the speed you had when hit by the car?
  12. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    Speed: really not... It wasn't that high ... I was essentially accelerating up to max. 80 km/h.... I'd say maybe aroudn 60-ish... but again, no real idea about that
    Uetliberg likes this.
  13. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like that jacket... Seriously, if everybody in this thread buys one you need to talk to KLIM about a sponsorship :D your foot is making them money! Hope the bike is okay and more importantly hope your foot and swelling have gone down in the past week
  14. EastRoad

Oddometer:
    Ha, you maybe have a point there ;)

KLIM: if you're reading this.... please sponsor my next epic ride? (and maybe a new bike... ;) )...
    And yes the jacket brilliant.

Foot/ankle:
    well the bruisng has abided by a bit.... and the swelling has gone down significantly... I am walking again with less of a hobble.
    it's still mildly painful and flexing isn't yet a great feeling, but it's daily improving, which is good.
    The doc was pretty happy with the progress so far and even said (I bet that's a positive encouraging line he gives to anyone who listens) that it's far better and faster at healing that he expected it to.
    I don't mind as long as he doesn't say the opposite ;)

I guess it will take a good few weeks before it's "sort of normal" again, but it's getting there.

in the mean time I'm waiting for the gvt. to get to work and decide whether it was the drivers fault, my fault or shared fault.
    and then I'll have to get the reply from the respective insurance companies... to see whether I'm lucky and get a few quid for the old bike or whether I'm on my own... (with my usual luck as soon as law enforcement gets involved I doubt much good is coming... but I'm not complaining, I'm still in one piece and eager to get back to riding asap.)

Bike: I've given it a quick glance ...
    - New front rotor (right)... damn the thing was literally "new"...
    - New front brake pads (right)
    - Tank took a beating, but I should be able to straighten it out
    - motor & Cylinder guard (right side) is toast...
    - side stand is bent (lean angle is worse than before)
    - Windshield is in pieces
    - Plastic housing of the instrument (top-cover plastic) is cracked open
    - right sided mounting kit for windshield is gone
    - Fork is leaking (right side) but seems to be pretty straight (I'll have to see once I'll tkae it apart)
    - Top Case is fubar ... really fubar. (it was a Givi plastic top case... so no huge loss)
    - looks like the pannier mount has taken a slight bend (easy fix)
    - Footpegs need a "clean up"
    - Rear shock absorber needs to be replaced (it was an issue before the crash... it's squeaking badly... not related to the crash, but it was a repair / replacement that needed to happen,... I'm sort of glad I hadn't yet ordered the replacement ;) )...
    - couple of smaller things here and there....

But the motor starts nicely... and idles well...
    So apparently the bike fared worse than I did (luckily not the other way round, sorry BMW).

Well I guess it'll come down to whether the insurance of the driver needs to cough up some cash or not.
    if they do, I guess the insurance would consider the bike "damaged goods" and offer a pay out...
    because repairs if done at a shop would cost more than the bike's worth.
    if they don't (if the state determines it was either my or share fault) I'll have to carefully weigh the cost of repairs vs. buying a new used bike.