Long Way Up on Harley Davidson.. ELECTRIC!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kingkoru, Sep 8, 2019.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Four bikes to charge and two Rivian trucks also. This looks like at least a dozen people involved. How many motorhomes do they have? So add more people just for the motorhomes, add cooks, cleaners & mechanics, so we are up to two dozen people.

I went north just by myself.
  2. MizzouMike

MizzouMike Rain Magnet

Oddometer:
    I would love to seem them try and make the trip on the Pan American, but it would be better if there was also someone on a GS just for comparison.

3. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Interesting. But why not just let two or four of the Live Wire loose with experienced riders, tell them they have a week to get from Milwaukee to, let's say York PA (other Harley plant), without a support crew, and let it pan out as they have to adjust to traffic, range, charging station availability, etc. A week is plenty to make that ride on a regular bike, only requires two days of long saddle time. Using I94 and I80 from Miwaukee to York goes quick.

So do it a bit like an Iron Butt format, if it only requires three days to get there, then allow for diversionary routes like a side trip to Indy, or a side trip to the AMA Museum. Or stop by the most HD dealers with the charging stations.

I wonder what HD's profit margin is on a Live Wire sold for nearly $30K. They'll be a tough sell at that price to a select few able to pony up the bucks. But HD couldn't 1st get them in the market a much lower price point to get them some presence, because then they couldn't reasonably raise the price to a decent profit margin price point.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geeze with so many here who have done the trip, what's the big deal? Electric bikes are not a big deal and I expect they will have more issues with the electric pickups that the Harleys. With 2 spare bikes and Sprinter vans full of spare parts, I predict they will mike it. What the wold needs is more scripted reality shows for TV.

Isn't all of South America 220v??
    bajaburro likes this.
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The Livewire will do 70 highway miles per charge. A "fast charger" will give it 80% charge in 1 hour.

So...70 miles the first 2 hours, then 56 miles for every 2 hours thereafter. Assuming a 16 hour day, that's a max of 462 miles.

These guys probably ride 7 hours per day, so figure more like 230 miles.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    A tread is what you should have on a tire, a thread is what you post on.

How's that for a derail ? :lol2
  7. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dammit man! :lol3
  8. chris4652009

chris4652009 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following with interest tbf, it's a TV show with motorbikes in. I'll give it a chance
    Richy, vince82 and Traxx like this.
  9. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 riders, 4 Harley's and 5 support vehicles...sounds right. :D
    Is this one of those MTV shows?
    bajaburro and AwDang like this.
  10. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope that engine sucks.
  11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    You know what would be really cool?

If the next one is just two of them..solo..no support cars not camera crew.

Just them, a few go pros.. documenting their ride on real adventure bikes. you know.. like how the rest of us do it.
    Dellaster, bajaburro, Rollin' and 2 others like this.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    When does your trip docudrama air on TV?

Different rides with different goals.
    shoeb and davenowherejones like this.
  13. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    If it takes a support fleet with standby bikes and gensets to make the trip work then I don´t see how it helps to prove the viability of electric bikes, if anything that would reinforce the idea that the bikes aren´t practical. In N. America my understanding (stand to be corrected) is that most dedicated charging points use J172 (J-plug) connectors as standard for fast charging with options for 110v plugs for home use. For anybody travelling in S. America on an electric bike without a support team the challenge would be dealing with multiple supply standards (110 and 220v) plus multiple types of connectors (two prong plugs, three prong plugs, genny connectors etc). Finding a source of electricity itself shouldn´t be a deal breaker, I doubt there is anywhere on earth that doesn´t have an ancient Honda frame genny still rattling away, the challenge would be persuading the owner to let you use it for the amount of time it took to charge the bike. Dealing with those kind of problems is what would make the trip interesting to me, but not possible on a tight filming schedule.

I´ll still watch it, but it falls firmly into the category of entertaining fluff which is fine although if true it does seem to be rather glaringly missing the single biggest issue about electric motorcycles.
    bajaburro and Rollin' like this.
  14. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I averaged 110 miles per day when I spent a year riding to Ushuaia and back
  15. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a little gal on here that goes by the name of Itchy Boots.She rides a Royal Enfield with 24 horses all over the world.She is the real deal among others.Ewan and Charley are first of all making a movie which they will sell for profit.You can't compare the two.At least we wont have to suffer Ewan's wife Eaaaaaaave this time.Take the time to read Charley's new book Long way Back.You will get an idea how much money these things take to produce.I'll surely buy the Long Way UP.
  16. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    Itchy Boots next adventure is the same as long way up. No chase vehicles. I'm looking forward to following her on her YouTube channel.
    CCitis, lemonster1, Dellaster and 5 others like this.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jabcon2, Muscongus, bajaburro and 2 others like this.
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    So if they bring 4 bikes, they will charge them all overnight from wall sockets, and change bikes mid-day when they run out of juice at 70-100 miles. Clever. Stupid, but clever.
    bajaburro likes this.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
  20. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    So are the Rivians camera trucks?