Long Way Up on Harley Davidson.. ELECTRIC!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kingkoru, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No matter how this plays out I want to watch. Either a huge train wreck or a Huge win for EV's
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  2. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Electric bikes to me is stupid showboating, they however have to make this stand out, different, how many people are riding the length of America as you read this, its an everyday thing, people are attempting this on Honda Groms for Gods sake ? . I and others just remembering the long way around which was pretty much an all out attempt to film the build up to and the ADV ride around the world into a watchable show, it did and it was a game changer for many.
    However we should not get too excited, after the long way around, the others have become a relatively cheap relatively high return TV shows. It is not about ADV riding anymore its entertaining TV, Charlie has made this his living, what with at least 3 spin offs plus the long way down along with sponsorship, merchandising, he is famous now, he would never have achieved that through acting, that was well and truly dead already. This electric bike stunt is just that a stunt, but I bet it will be entertaining and it will make money and maybe some charity will get something out of it, so what is the harm. It is just a TV show, no one would seriously attempt to ride a bike the length of America for their personal experience with only a 70 + mile range, you would be simply stupid. But for a TV show why not, they are supported and you can pretty much be assured they will make it, would not be as easy for an individual, but still possible but long slow and pointless. Maybe we should just call it "Fluff ADV" because that is what it is.

The real risk if there is one would be to HD as if these bikes fail and keep failing this could really hurt, I bet in the history of bikes no two bike will ever have had this amount of inspection and testing.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I think the actual logistics of how they do this is going to be the most interesting.

I rode a scooter to Dawson City this summer because it was harder than riding a more suitable motorcycle.

In about 1982 I rode a Honda 125 road bike from Vancouver to Newfoundland and back.

I would definitely ride a Livewire to PEI from Vancouver if I was rich enough.
    Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    “do it unsupported like” on a POS was the point you missed.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems bizarre they would go with the Livewire. ADV bikes are hot sellers and Harley needs a new fresh boost. While the Livewire is nice looking, it is not bike most people are going to pay the high price tag for in my opinion. This would be a perfect opportunity for them to show off their new Pan America bike and give it some real exposure to all sorts of interesting locations and conditions. I liked the first 2, I liked the production and found it very enjoyable to watch as did people who are not into biking at all. I remember being up at a friends cottage and the neighbours were over for dinner and the brought up my bike as they recognized it from LWD (I had a 2010 GSA). They enjoyed it for what it was, not for some guys proving and showcasing how hardcore they are, but it was a good enjoyable travel docu show that reached a wide audience of bikers and non bikers.
    tntmo, knight, Kingfish and 2 others like this.
  7. malcom

malcom Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW some guy did a cross country ride on a ZERO. Ran photos and story in one of the MC mags. Some folks will ride Elec. some won't
    Johann likes this.
  8. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why did Harley cal it a Livewire? Since their v-twin is an 'Electraglide', shouldn't their ebike be an 'InternalCombustodrive' to keep things symmetrical?
    theailer and Rollin' like this.
  9. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :photog
  10. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it is really happening, they are doing it on the Livewire. Still makes no sense to me when Harley will be pushing the Pan-America bike soon. This would be the perfect venue to showcase an adventure bike touring in what I can only imagine will be some amazing places. Guessing there will be a more political agenda with climate change and renewable energy at the forefront.

Long-Way-Up-Ewan-McGregor-Harley-Davidson-Livewire-4a.jpg
  11. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Actually, this electric HD should be the one called the Electraglide. Or maybe a Volt Glide? Zap Glide? Charged Glide?
  12. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Nah, "glide" sounds like something lethargic, a moving comfy chair for old people. Livewire is fast and sporty.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Electra-Glide
    In 1965, Harley-Davidson replaced the kick starter on the FLH with an electric starter and renamed the model the Electra-Glide, again keeping the FLH identifier.
  14. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then maybe the Livewire should have some internal-combustion-powerred accessories... like a hedge trimmer or something. I caan think of some trals where that might come in handy!
    Rollin' likes this.
  15. lagocarrera

lagocarrera Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thought they might stay on the Argentine side of Patagonia because of the paved roads there but this photo may indicate otherwise. Likely taken at the Chilean border about a week ago. Those e-bikes may see some dirt after all. unnamed.jpg

Attached Files:

Traxx likes this.
  16. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that they will abuse them a lot.
    Interesting how it works out...
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because with the Pan-America they're the last ones to the party with interest limited to a focused group, but with the Livewire they're trail blazers and likely to be taken notice of outside the limited scope of adventure riders?
  18. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    Ewan looks like Tim Roth from Tin Star.
  19. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think HD entering a completely new market and one of the biggest motorcycle markets is more noteworthy personally, the live wire looks like any other bike just with a battery. Definitely more on trend though with all all the global warming stuff.
  20. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    The Zero SR ZF14.4 with all the doo dahs has a range of over 200 miles. That´s more than enough for most people for the majority of rides, especially commuting and local runs that make up the majority of miles. The kind of enthusiasts sites like this attract are the exception rather than the norm. If I´m honest it would work for me as given my current work/money situation longer rides have been off the cards for a while, the only downside is the MSRP. When the cost comes down for Zero type range and quality I think the market will go ballistic. The current price puts them firmly into early adopter territory for a lot of people, me included. The Livewire at twice the price and less than half that range is a very hard sell.
    tlub likes this.