Long Way Up?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GreyThumper, Aug 22, 2018.

1. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    What could this mean?

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 5.34.58 PM.png
  2. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer:
    The Moon?
  3. AwDang

AwDang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was this a recent post?

ETA: or tweet or instagram, or whatever these things are...
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    It means Charlie is looking forward to their next fucking adventure.
    thechief86 and BaRRaCuda1974 like this.
  6. Rubber Dutchman

Rubber Dutchman Lurking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make it happen.
    R100PDave likes this.
  7. IronJackWhitton

IronJackWhitton Chasing my Trunk to the next adventure

Oddometer:
    There was another tweet during/around the time of MacGregor's new Winnie the Pooh movie too that seems to confirm that it's in the works -- of course lots of these projects are 'in the works' only to be later cancelled because of issues with schedules, contracts, geopolitical unrest, etc. so this news is worth exactly what you paid for it.

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/charley-boorman-tweet-new-series/

Personally I'd be thrilled to see a new one. The first was excellent. The second had a lot of lessons in it -- they seemed rushed a lot of the time, but they had a much better handle and comfort with a lot of the logistics side. A third that blends the relaxed vibe of the first with the skill level of the second over some new terrain will be great.

Other advantages of them doing the PanAm highway would be the fact that the routes they take tend to end up on 'the bucket list' for viewers, and with that comes more services and supports. Maybe finally get a decent ferry service past the Darien (which will benefit others on that route immensely).
  8. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I certainly hope they don’t do the Pan-American Highway. Way too many good options other than that. Just an opinion of course.
  9. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
  10. Sleepyc

Sleepyc I have a Moto Boner!

Oddometer:

Yea but to sit down with a beer and enjoy an hour of brainless TV, you need proper filming, a good editor and good content. These dudes provide that. Don;t take it as "They are trying to be bad ass ADV riders" and take it as a break from politics, and shitty reality tv with some motorcycles in it. It's actually enjoyable if you watch it in that mind set.
    scfrank, k4df4l, Lion BR and 20 others like this.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Only if they do it on Pan American Harleys...

:hide

Edit: I was joking, but the thought did cross my mind that if HD were to offer a couple of their new adv bikes to these guys, it would be about the best marketing move they could do.
  12. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. It was an August 23 tweet.
  13. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming it's a trip, I do wonder what bikes they'll be riding. Ewan had a Guzzi contract (although it could've expired by now), and I think Charley has a current one with Triumph. It'd be great if they could do a trip on smaller bikes, like the upcoming KTM 790 Adventure.
    djtrik likes this.
  14. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:

<Applause>

They really did ride them too. Of course it was simpler with a crew. Show would be impossible without. Also, I guarantee insurance companies and production studios demanded it. Lotsa $ wrapped up in those actors, equipment etc. Plus, Im sure they had a schedule to keep....

Funny, couldn't sleep the other night, rewatched a few eps of 'Round. Id Always wanted a boxer bike.... but I pinpointed the actual moment I decided id have an oilhead, was when they pull their plugs after a water crossing- shoot water out, move on. Dramatized, for sure, but not fake.

Ill be looking forward to anything new they do. Its fun to watch.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  15. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is going to sound goofy, but I actually sent Harley a suggestion that they do something like a “Long Way” ride with the PanAm when they announced it. I didn’t ask that they sponsor me but is am waiting by the phone anxiously in case they do.:photog

As for Long Way Up...I bet if you put all the major adventure bike manufacturers in a room together to decide who sponsored this a knife fight would break out and it would be last man standing. I have always wondered what KTMs boardroom reaction was to the results of these films.
  16. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no kidding. KTM missed out when BMW got the gig they left on the table.

I have sent Harley suggestions before, and I get redirected to some legal mumbo jumbo where they want me to fill out all these documents stating I don't want royalties. WTF? Hey, if you you don't want my advice fine, but I'm not going to spend an hour filling out paperwork just to give you my opinion.
    SmittyBlackstone and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  17. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually filled them out though honestly most of it was blank as it was more intended for design ideas. They really do need a suggestion email or some such but I bet they are targeted for lawsuits frequently being a company as big as they are folks just see a target.

I don't know if I were the guys if I could ride a KTM after the first incident, but that's just me.

They should really screw the ADV world up and ride KLR's! But I guess that doesn't make for good drama..."Well today we rode and as always we didn't have a single issue with the bikes. We tried to break them for some good footage but we gave up on that. Ewan's milk crate did fall off once though, but it turns out that it was also fine."
  18. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  19. tennistime99

tennistime99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed the first two trips, I'd love to see another one. Entertaining TV with scenery and motorbikes works for me.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    SmittyBlackstone and FarmerKeith like this.
  20. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    The two "Long Way ..." programs did do a lot for sales on ADV type bikes when they were first broadcast. I read somewhere that they tried to Get Triumph to contribute bikes for the first one, but they turned down the request. Bet Triumph was very sorry about that decision, but then again.. who knew?

I do like the programs , and I read the books, but it always seemed to me that on screen they were terminally exhausted, and overly concerned about maintaining a time/distance schedule. Personally, that would be the ride from hell for me. I like to take my time, enjoy the roses, and enjoy the journey without worrying so much about the destination.

No doubt some of this was to create interest and drama TV style. Likely I'd watch a third one though. Bring it.
    nk14zp likes this.