Long Way Up?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GreyThumper, Aug 22, 2018.

1. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link for it being an appleTV original? First I've heard that bit, I'd like to read more about that.

If they're driving the Rivians, who is driving the sprinter vans?
  2. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:

1. Couldn't agree more.

2. My next beach chair will be a GSA. :D
  3. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    "Boorman and McGregor will apparently be completing the trip with specially prepared off-road-ready versions.

From the spy photos taken in the town of Ushuaia, which will no doubt trigger O.G. Top Gear fans, the LiveWire motorcycles have been fitted with longer travel suspension, knobby tires perfect for the dirt, higher-set handlebars, knuckle guards, and gear racks attached to the rear of the motorcycle’s frame. Essentially, the riders built themselves a LiveWire Dakar (which Harley-Davidson is absolutely free to use)."

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29845...wan-mcgregors-long-way-up-might-use-livewires
  4. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    No, but Ewan, Charley, Russ and Dave were all together at the AppleTV+ unveiling in San Jose in March. That can mean only one thing.
    scottdc likes this.
  5. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of reasons to rock an E-Moto over a gas bike even today, but I dont think people will really understand until they ride one. I got my FX for under $9K new, and it will easily keep pace if not pull ahead of a Husky 701 in a straight line, and weighs 30lbs less. The trade offs for E-Motos are completely different which makes things interesting - no clutch and lots of torque = loads of smooth, extremely low speed power for steep or technical things, all while having the ability of cruising very comfortably on the highway at speed. Low speed manners are incredibly good. You're never in the wrong gear, stalling is impossible. Gearing goes out the window. You will never melt your frogg toggs on an exhaust again, you can spend time places you may otherwise get kicked out for being annoying to landowners / police. You can actually hear wind through the trees or water running over rocks while you ride. The only downside right now is charge time and range and availability of charge points. The Energica Eva Esseesse9 has a range of ~100 miles of riding and 20 minute charge times.. thats not too bad!
    Homer GSA likes this.
  6. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the idea of not having to change oil, filters, transmission oil, and sparkplugs definitely has an appeal.

Brake pads and chainlube. That's it. And if it's belt drive, no chain lube!
    Amphib likes this.
  7. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
  8. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    It's actually, objectively, pretty terrible. Just barely enough to be usable. We'd complain bitterly about that kind of range from a gas bike, and they only take a 2 minutes to fill up (almost anywhere). But 100 miles becomes 200 miles, then becomes 400. Then you're talking about not too bad! The 2020 tesla roadster will have 2.5 times the range of the 2012 model. No reason not to think that trend won't continue.
    Homer GSA likes this.
  9. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
  10. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    Although, forecast for snow all week is certainly a good start on that front.
    snow.JPG
  11. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    You can buy Zero for less than $10K and commute to work in the city every day, and have a lot of fun in the process. That’s pretty real reason in my book.
    Johnny Dakar likes this.
  12. Homer GSA

Homer GSA R1200GSA 2008

Oddometer:
    This really explains how EV will evolve.

Many just see things in the present sense and not future sense.

I have an eight year old top of the line Bosch 18v cordless drill. Huge 2 ah battery lasts about 30 min.

Now have a 12v 4ah AEG cordless drill that is 1/3 size and lasts for at least 2hrs.

So 4 x the ‘range’ at a 1/3 the size in eight years.
  13. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    And with regenerate braking, almost never brake pads.
    tlub likes this.
  14. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    It's not really. 10K for a bike that can do exactly one thing, is not really a real reason to buy it. Unless you just really like electric motorcycles and want to be an early adopter (nttawtt) - in which case also doing that one useful thing is suddenly just enough of a reason.
  15. liberpolly

Oddometer:
  16. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Lots of people have different bikes for commuting and for touring.
    tlub likes this.
  17. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    If you were completely propulsion source agnostic, aka you genuinely have no preference either way for ICE or EV, why would you buy a zero over, oh lets say, a wee-strom? There is no reason, unless you want an electric bike. Which is OK, it's OK to have desires. But at this point in time, that's the only real reason I can see.
    AwDang likes this.
  18. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Absolutely would- Wee is ugly, clumsy, and too big for my city commute, Zero is by far superior. Now if you talk about Ducati Scrambles or Ninja 400, it’s more evenly matched - better in some areas, worse in others, but the total score will still be toward Zero for me.

Again, if range is not an issue, EV beats ICE already.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    But range and price are absolutely issues.
    AwDang likes this.
  20. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Range, charge time and charge availability are the only negatives to a EM.
    I have 2 separate bikes for different uses. 1 gets about 100miles to the tank the other 250ish. I can be in and out of a gas station in 5 min on either one.
    The tech is here, it just needs to be more widespread.
    The Livewire or any other EM on the Long Way Up is a great thing for EV’s. It will put the bikes and trucks through various situations and we can sit back and watch. I am sure that we will be able to see some very creative ways to charge and extend mileage.
    Gonna be a train wreck or a big win. I can’t wait.
    foolio and liberpolly like this.