Long Way Up?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GreyThumper, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    Yet.
    As battery technology and solar panel technology develops, you may have to have a couple of extra camping stops/spread out your solar array on your way up, but I have no doubt it'll be achievable.
    scottdc likes this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be cool. But at that point arn't you adding time to the trip?
    Just use a bicycle......a healthy peddler can knock out 100+ miles days. Oops, thats more than a Livewire. :(
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I ain't healthy but I am not also rich.

My Honda scooter did more than 100 miles a day to the Yukon.

I want a Zero!
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a cyclist, I can say with an absolute certainty the average healthy peddler isn't going to ride 100 miles, take a break, ride another 100 miles, take a break, and ride another 100 miles in the scope of 7 hours.
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Okay folks - topic creep is not at all unusual and this is pretty interesting but we have now pretty much abandoned the original discussion (Recognizing I'm part of the problem). Needs to be in a new thread IMO. Let's keep this one for the LWU trip, eh?
  6. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    To some people, EVs = politics. Personally, I doubt they'll spend more than 1 episode on their rationale, then it'll be back to Ewan crying about falling over more than his mate...
    bajaburro likes this.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be my guess its exactly why they chose to go electric. Discussion and controversy = viewers.
    liberpolly likes this.
  8. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Electric motorcycles, horse pucky!
    bajaburro likes this.
  9. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live and work in China and battery bikes are a long way from new here. For commuting they are fine but riding a motorcycle is more than just the mileage, I agree a EV is practical for a commute but bat shit boring even the fast ones which we already have here although not strictly legal mine does just over 100 kph for around 60 km but it’s cheap only even with the upscale motor 1000 USD and my friends is way faster. I also understand even these are cheap shit and they will only get faster and will travel much further. No gears no sound, yes I may well be old as the experience is practical yes but little fun. It a motorcycle for the soulless. But that’s just me and my old guy ways. I don’t ride a bike to get from A to B I ride to enjoy the A to B. Be interesting to see how the bikes progress .
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're describing E-bikes and E-scooters, have you ever ridden a true E-motorcycle comparable to the Livewire or Zero?

My passion is for old school bikes and I ride a Ural, but the riding experience of a true E-motorcycle blows me away. It's like having the torque of a Harley with the performance of a sport bike, while being smooth as silk, and always at max torque and HP.
    To me an old school bike is a visceral experience, and a E-motorcycle is a Zen like experience. Both desirable in their own way, and equally enjoyable.

Old dogs can learn new tricks.
  11. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
  12. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
  13. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    Last Monday, but your route's wrong. They started in Tierra del Fuego, and were seen in Punta Arenas.
  14. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    So roughly 700 miles in 5 days. That would jive pretty well with just swapping bikes mid day.
  15. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    No, tomorrow it'll be two weeks.
  16. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    Oh dear. So roughly 700 miles in 12 days. That's more like 'no mid day recharging and no swapping bikes' pace. I grok that it's a slower/rougher/more interesting (more stops) section than other sections will be, but that's slow.
  17. Biddles

Biddles Suck it easy!

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty late to this thread, but it seems as if the trip is getting prepped with Harley Livewires.... Is that even possible? From Charley's twitter feed he is in LA, and the trip is reportedly Argentina to LA so maybe this is about to start... If this is true I wonder how much Harley spent to be a part of it. Very interesting to see how much time has changed since their first adventure.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/09/rivi...-davidson-livewire-electric-motorcycles-trip/
  18. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Wannabe Adventurer and YouTuber

Oddometer:
    You are indeed. :imaposer
    scottdc and liberpolly like this.
  19. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    They were doing 20 mile days in Mongolia and on the Road of Bones in LWR and the same in the East African fesh fesh in LWD. It's COLD AS FUCK in Patagonia right now, and they've already had snow. It'll get easier as they get closer to the Equator.
    dsquires16 likes this.
  20. KiLeR650

Oddometer:
    I knew they were having a tough time in Mongolia, had no idea it was that slow.